Seven injured as speeding pickup crashes into power pole

snoop1130

Seven injured as speeding pickup crashes into power pole

By The Nation

800_c90b49c5f8f8702.jpg

Seven people were injured and eight cars damaged when a pickup truck crashed into an electricity post and pulled down 14 other posts in Samut Prakan province.

Bang Pu police and a rescue team found four severely injured women trapped in the smashed cars along with other three victims nearby. They were immediately sent to Rattarin Hospital.

Witnesses said that they saw a brown Toyota Vigo driving at high speed lose control and crash into an electricity post, which had a domino effect, pulling down the other posts and blocking all traffic.

Police have detained the driver for interrogation.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379917

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-27

14 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

It would seem that Thai electrical transmission systems and western systems are poles apart when it comes to safety and quality of installation.   It is hard to believe a small vehicle could do that much damage to so many power poles.

The problem is not there ;
the pickup broke a pole and as written in the post, by domino effect several others have fallen.
Why ?

For several reasons, the main one being that these posts support too many wires of too much weight each;
indeed most of the overhead lines, in Thailand, are under sheath therefore very heavy lines; the posts must be spaces of a certain length and are manufactured to support a weight which must not be exceeded;
however in Thailand, the safety standards are very elastic .. when they exist or are more or less respected.
In addition, the posts are driven to a certain depth in loose, unstabilized soil;
I saw it again a few days ago on a side road near my house; in a few hours the workers of PEA Sawang Daen Din had planted a dozen poles and already installed the lines ... In the rainy season, I am sure that one or more poles will go to bed alone.
it is enough that only one of them lies down for such or such reason so that several in front and behind do the same thing.

I am happy to be

13 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Nothing is beyond belief in this 3rd world backwater!

I am happy to be corrected, but I understand that roadside utility poles are designed to fracture on impact.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Police have detained the driver for interrogation.

I hope they are still interviewing him well into the New Year... just in case he feels the need to be elsewhere with the same urgency, 6 months should adjust his attitude!

1 hour ago, fantom said:

I am happy to be

I am happy to be corrected, but I understand that roadside utility poles are designed to fracture on impact.

I think they are designed this way in the West, but not necessarily here. The other thing missing is any barrier to impact of the pole like set back from the road edge and decent kerbs or Armco type barriers to divert errant vehicles, except in a few places.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Seven people were injured and eight cars damaged when a pickup truck crashed into an electricity post and pulled down 14 other posts in Samut Prakan province.

Micro sleep ???
Can you tell me how to install the electricity poles? Are they just stuck in the ground and is the job done?
Shame on all those responsible!

Archived