Old Toshiba Lap Top...

transam

Been given an old Toshiba laptop that was in a bad way, it has W/Vista and total RAM of 3GB. Yes I know it is old hat but as a backup or away for a day or two it will do me a favour as I use a desk top. Anyhoooo, after many hours work it is now working a treat, just one small problem that I would like to clear. Have done research but no fix.

After it has started and loaded a pop up appears on screen, it says file "TOnce.lnk" (spelled like that) disabled, windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Problem is I cannot find TOnce.lnk on the PC. I just click cancel and it goes away, but would like to remove it....Any ideas.....????

Mate, upgrade the DDR memory to at least 4 GB and put W 10 Pro on it. A new install and it will work like a charm. 

I still have activation keys for 10 Pro from ebay,

To solve your problem, download this from Kaspersky and ruin it. https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/free-virus-removal-tool

Run it, it will find all viruses that the thingy might have. 

Then clean the junk files by clicking on drive C, properties and click Disc cleanup.

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

Mate, upgrade the DDR memory to at least 4 GB and put W 10 Pro on it. A new install and it will work like a charm. 

I still have activation keys for 10 Pro from ebay,

Morning bud, yes I know, but I am having fun with it and would like to know the answer....????....

1 minute ago, transam said:

Morning bud, yes I know, but I am having fun with it and would like to know the answer....????....

If you really want to install Windows 10 you have to be sure that you get all the needed drivers for your old laptop. Otherwise... 

Just now, Beggar said:

Check what startup entries you have and remove old or not needed entries. 

Done all that, just cannot find TOnce.lnk anywhere..Even on the Net, just comes up with something to do with Toshiba but in a non English speaking country.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Done all that, just cannot find TOnce.lnk anywhere..Even on the Net, just comes up with something to do with Toshiba but in a non English speaking country.

If you are trying to start a program from a desktop shortcut and to your surprise nothing happens, or Windows is asking you with what program would you like to use to open the .LNK file, then your PC may have a corrupted registry key. This .LNK extension error may be which is caused by a failed Windows update, a faulty driver or in some rare cases a computer virus.

KVRT will delete all viruses. Download a trial version of Kaspersky Internet security.

It will find all.............

Here's the solution: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/lnk-file-association/

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

If you are trying to start a program from a desktop shortcut and to your surprise nothing happens, or Windows is asking you with what program would you like to use to open the .LNK file, then your PC may have a corrupted registry key. This .LNK extension error may be which is caused by a failed Windows update, a faulty driver or in some rare cases a computer virus.

Here's the solution: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/lnk-file-association/

Done M/bytes, ASC, Hitman, you name it....But, I would like to know what "TOnce.lnk" is, just that for starters...

3 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Check what startup entries you have and remove old or not needed entries. 

Interesting and timely post, because just a couple of months ago I was given an old Toshiba laptop which was in pretty poor condition as the hinges had broken on the screen and lid, and also some of the USB ports weren't working, and a few odd things would pop up from time to time.

I was going to just keep it as a spare, however I decided to fix it so I dismantled it and fixed the hinges with a combination of epoxy glue and extremely small screws, then cleaned the whole computer of its previous programs and got it up and running in its basic format......and it's now my main computer because it has an Intel i7 chip in it!!

However just a few days ago I got some strange pop-ups when doing a bit of a clean and couldn't find anything on the net about it, but then did, and it appears that Toshiba were very adapt at adding all sorts of weird and wonderful programs which were supposed to help with one thing and another, but which are now basically defunct because I've discarded a lot of the programs.

So perhaps checking to see if they are in the start-up items or nestled somewhere in the bowels of the computer and try to disable them (I did this via my Avira antivirus) and see what goes – – because you can always re-enable them if you need to.

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Interesting and timely post, because just a couple of months ago I was given an old Toshiba laptop which was in pretty poor condition as the hinges had broken on the screen and lid, and also some of the USB ports weren't working, and a few odd things would pop up from time to time.

I was going to just keep it as a spare, however I decided to fix it so I dismantled it and fixed the hinges with a combination of epoxy glue and extremely small screws, then cleaned the whole computer of its previous programs and got it up and running in its basic format......and it's now my main computer because it has an Intel i7 chip in it!!

However just a few days ago I got some strange pop-ups when doing a bit of a clean and couldn't find anything on the net about it, but then did, and it appears that Toshiba were very adapt at adding all sorts of weird and wonderful programs which were supposed to help with one thing and another, but which are now basically defunct because I've discarded a lot of the programs.

So perhaps checking to see if they are in the start-up items or nestled somewhere in the bowels of the computer and try to disable them (I did this via my Avira antivirus) and see what goes – – because you can always re-enable them if you need to.

Trans seems to have a virus and the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool should find the culprit. https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/free-virus-removal-tool

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

I have deleted a few Toshiba things, there are more that I fear chopping in case I balls it up. But I am having fun with it, and would love to just get rid of the pop up. I find it strange that there is very little on the Net regarding it...

10 minutes ago, transam said:

I would do a registry scan for tonce if you don't find it anywhere else. Could also be an entry in the task scheduler. Tonce could perhaps stand for Toshiba Once. Run one time. 

1 minute ago, transam said:

I have deleted a few Toshiba things, there are more that I fear chopping in case I balls it up. But I am having fun with it, and would love to just get rid of the pop up. I find it strange that there is very little on the Net regarding it...

What is the Part No. of the Toshiba laptop? Written on the underside.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Trans, read all on the website I've sent you. 

Forget the suggestions using third party programs to 'clean' your hdd. Do a new install with your preferred OS.

While you're at it, why not try a Linux distro? Mint looks about the same as Win7 and you don't need any malware/virus programs that will track you on the net.

1 minute ago, tifino said:

Can  create oneself headaches; when you get a new toy, that does not have the usual 4 wheels and an OBD2 port ???? 

No headaches here, I am having a bit of fun with it. I know what I can do with it but I want to know what the pop up is about.....It seems none of you can find it either....????

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Satellite L350-235

Model no. PSLD8E-OS5008EN

SERIAL NO. 79371146Q

Toshiba Europe GMBH

Updating to the latest BIOS version should introduce the Toshiba Windows 7 licence to the Motherboard.

Then you can install from Boot, the Windows 7 installation media for Toshiba and it will activate automatically.

Unless you want to stick with Vista....

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

I've got a 10 year old Dell, running well on W 10. 

I have a 7 year old chromebook, still going strong.  I only solve Windows problems for my dad, who is retired from Univac, and slipped me 1500 for Christmas..all others are told they will pay first, or simp!y laughed at.  Being your own visa agent is a better use of time and also pays better, than trying magic tricks on old Windows machines.  Microsoft is a disgrace.

Archived