Seems to be a crackdown on Airbnb in BkK

Elkski

28 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Hey PM me your address ????

View Talay 5, Jomtien. I’m sure my observation applies to the pools of most of the large condo blocks there, very popular with Russians escaping the Siberian winter. Residents all respectable and friendly, but does have a bit of a feel of a retirement village in the off season.

16 hours ago, Elkski said:

Well I'm staying in a 2200/ night hotel room in the asoke area for sentimental reasons and not enjoying the confines.  Maybe  25 m.  It does not feel like home.  This is my 8th or 9th trip in 3.7 years,  my average stay has been 3 weeks plus.  2 times  close to 60 day limit.  One month stay I learned about the overstay penalty.  I seem to like to travel around so renting for 30 days isn't an option.   This is far to long to stay in  a small  hotel.  Some of my favorite stays have been the 500/nt homestays often used by Thais.  

So what bout when you guys bring lady friends home.  Do your  neighbors like this? 

I stay at a hotel in the Asoke area for the same price. It is a 1 bedroom Suite that is twice the size with kitchen, washer, free wifi and parking. Also a daily breakfast buffet. There are good places to stay if you look for them.

48 minutes ago, ddye123 said:

I stay at a hotel in the Asoke area for the same price. It is a 1 bedroom Suite that is twice the size with kitchen, washer, free wifi and parking. Also a daily breakfast buffet. There are good places to stay if you look for them.

I stayed in a nice 1 bedroom condo on soi 27 asoke, the mirage.

total cost per night for the monthly rental was under $1 k per night.

can u tell me of a hotel in this area for the same price?

It seems face scanners would be a good way for condos to stop this.  I assume there is some % brown envelope to condo management for each airbnb.  Just 100 baht/ day rental cut for 20-30 units in a condo complex would be a nice bonus for the top staff.    I read where some condo made fingerprint copies for renters to use.  I'm afraid that's past my tolerance level.  

I'm thinking some of these Airbnb people will still be able to let past customers stay.  Just using private contact info and cash payments which thai government will be hard pressed to investigate.    

23 hours ago, Elkski said:

Well I'm staying in a 2200/ night hotel room in the asoke area for sentimental reasons and not enjoying the confines.  Maybe  25 m.  It does not feel like home.  This is my 8th or 9th trip in 3.7 years,  my average stay has been 3 weeks plus.  2 times  close to 60 day limit.  One month stay I learned about the overstay penalty.  I seem to like to travel around so renting for 30 days isn't an option.   This is far to long to stay in  a small  hotel.  Some of my favorite stays have been the 500/nt homestays often used by Thais.  

So what bout when you guys bring lady friends home.  Do your  neighbors like this? 

your complaint is due to the sterile condo rooms so popular in bangkok now, not airbnb.

im with you 100%.

those rooms never feel like home. its like living in a hotel. never will be homey.

the best you can do is carry around some portable trinkets that remind you of home and/or having your own place, like a small special desk lamp, your own pillow, towels etc.

you can get those more homey airbnbs in your careful, the problem is that they come with problems, the owners tend to be invasive and enter your space, etc because they dont know what they are doing. i had one landlord come in my rental at night. i returned home one night and they were in my unit walking around with a flashlight.

if anything happens airbnb just stonewalls you and refers back to the listing, maybe adjusts what you paid. its just like going into a strangers home with no protection.

you cant rely on reviews since they are easily faked (hosts pay on night and write a self review).

ah, life on the road...

Edited by fhickson

On 1/2/2020 at 12:25 PM, moontang said:

It is not their business, and no one cares, however, there would be people like security and jp taking note, with a few snickers likely related more to jeolousy than anything else.  They are known to be busybodies and gossipers, but that is their problem.  They do kind of keep tabs on visitors for some good reasons, too.  

I'm sure you can bring your hookers to your little place ! But if I hear the grunting and groaning and other moronic noise  through the walls I take action and I mean serious action 

Thailand needs to offer a BOUNTY for OWNERS and CUSTOMERS who are breaking the law, breaking the Condo rules, and unfairly letting "<deleted>" knows WHO into our buildings.  That would stop this nonsense within 5 business days!

Will I be checking into your Condo today? 

Yes I will <deleted> in your pool

And hopefully lots of crazy  animal noises several times each day.  And I will use the elevator many times each day. 

On 1/1/2020 at 6:06 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am still waiting for the sexy Brazilian girls. Apart from that:

Tourists are strangers, I am sure many are nice and behave, but some not. People who live in a building constantly will more likely behave like not a lot of noise all night, no spilled beer in the lift, etc.

When I order some food I often wait in the lobby for a few minutes so that the food deliver guy does not have to wait. I don't like it when the lobby is full of sometimes loud strangers with lots of bags, etc.

Feeling home means knowing the people around you, at least to a certain extend. Many strangers in the building make it make feel less like home and more like a place with temporary occupants like a hotel.

Last but not least in many cities Airbnb ruins the prices for people who live there. And at the same time hotels are not occupied. That is bad for the locals living there and bad for local business. That does not make the place better for the locals and I think first the locals should be comfortable.

All in all sometimes a few behaving guests are no problem. The masses make it a problem.

To each their own. 

The real point here is actually not how good it makes you feel to not have overnighters, or how bad it makes you feel to have them. 

The issue is about owner's rights. And having "friends or family" over to stay at a condo a person owns seems completely within the limits of acceptable to me.

If you find that unacceptable, the solution is to not live in a condo, or live under draconian regulations when it comes to registering guests in your condo. 

• Thanks 1

I do think  some of these Foreigners end up leasing many condos to use as Airbnb.   It is rare you deal with the owner but rather the staff.  I wonder if they are this working without a permit?  Surely they dont register this as a ligit tax paying company.   

None of this would be a problem if people could just show a little f*cking consideration toward other people. How hard is that?

Personally, I don't care if there are short-term renters in my condo at The Trendy—IF they could just be quiet. But that's too much to ask, especially for certain ethnic groups I've noticed.

I'm sick and tired and having to have a "conversation" every three days with the newcomers on either side of my condo. I'm tired of being woken up at 1am, I'm tired of doors and cabinets slamming day and night, and I'm tired of way-too-loud TV noise. 

This is not an AirBnB issue necessarily. It's an issue of selfish, inconsiderate, and entitled attitudes that sadly most people have and bring with them wherever they go.

(1111 by the way, doesn't seem to know where to refer me. They offered 1116 which is the office of "consumer protection".)

Edited by allencraig
additional, relevant information added
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, meand said:

To each their own. 

The real point here is actually not how good it makes you feel to not have overnighters, or how bad it makes you feel to have them. 

The issue is about owner's rights. And having "friends or family" over to stay at a condo a person owns seems completely within the limits of acceptable to me.

If you find that unacceptable, the solution is to not live in a condo, or live under draconian regulations when it comes to registering guests in your condo. 

Where did I mention that people are not allowed to invite friends and family? I am sure friends and family of owners will mostly "behave" because they care about the owner and his/her property.

But paying Airbnb customers are not friends and family. Is it really necessary to explain the difference to you?

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where did I mention that people are not allowed to invite friends and family? I am sure friends and family of owners will mostly "behave" because they care about the owner and his/her property.

But paying Airbnb customers are not friends and family. Is it really necessary to explain the difference to you?

Great reply.  The one part he did seem to get was "The issue is about owner's rights"  YES!  We OWNERS don't want to live in a short stay hotel with people crowding our pool, gym, elevators, gardens, etc ... YES! Owners have RIGHTS!!!! 

Perhaps we can agree on a few basics then hash out the rest.  I am a fairly regular airbnb user. Stayed from 2 weeks to a month in many places in Thailand- Udon Thani, Hua Hin, Bangkok, etc.  

First off, group tours and busses should be a big "NO".  Solo travelers and families only. 

Second, owners should take more care in who they allow in to their properties. AirBnB has a system for reporting troublesome tenants and rating them, but it could be improved IMHO. Perhaps condo staff could be informed whose Airbnb clients are causing problems, and contact the owner. Plus again contact Airbnb to get them disciplined or banned. 

I like in a condo myself and can understand how poorly behaved guests would be irritating. When my wife and I do an AirBnB rental, we try to be as respectful of the other owners/tenants as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Perhaps we can agree on a few basics then hash out the rest.  I am a fairly regular airbnb user. Stayed from 2 weeks to a month in many places in Thailand- Udon Thani, Hua Hin, Bangkok, etc.  

First off, group tours and busses should be a big "NO".  Solo travelers and families only. 

Second, owners should take more care in who they allow in to their properties. AirBnB has a system for reporting troublesome tenants and rating them, but it could be improved IMHO. Perhaps condo staff could be informed whose Airbnb clients are causing problems, and contact the owner. Plus again contact Airbnb to get them disciplined or banned. 

I like in a condo myself and can understand how poorly behaved guests would be irritating. When my wife and I do an AirBnB rental, we try to be as respectful of the other owners/tenants as possible. 

So, the cost of extra building maintenance and security, the inconvenience to OWNERS ... to this we now add ANOTHER cost and hassle?  It is OUR job to police your ILLEGAL behavior?  You see, WE do not benefit from YOU being in our building.  We do not benefit from YOU in our pool and gymnasium. WE do not benefit worrying about our wives at home with STRANGERS next door! So, why on earth would WE want to HELP YOU? Hey, when you come to town, look me up, and I will let you carry my groceries  home.  Not interested? Strange, because that would be good for ME.

6 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

So, the cost of extra building maintenance and security, the inconvenience to OWNERS ... to this we now add ANOTHER cost and hassle?  It is OUR job to police your ILLEGAL behavior?  You see, WE do not benefit from YOU being in our building.  We do not benefit from YOU in our pool and gymnasium. WE do not benefit worrying about our wives at home with STRANGERS next door! So, why on earth would WE want to HELP YOU? Hey, when you come to town, look me up, and I will let you carry my groceries  home.  Not interested? Strange, because that would be good for ME.

It's the owner who misbehaves, not a guy renting airbnb dude.

No one here would buy anymore with the bad rental yield, the whole re market is skrewed... There will be no new buildings without rental yield.

Normal rentals prices have to rise considerably to fix this.

10 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

If the actual owner lived in the unit there would be no change in security and maintenance, so what's the difference if it is the owner or if it's me?  Ditto the crowding in the pool and gym.  If the unit had an onsite owner and not an airbnb renter, the situation would be the same.

I think the difference is that so many Thai condos are actually only half occupied, if that. So those that DO live there get used to it being very quiet and peaceful since the building is actually housing far fewer people than if it were fully occupied.  Hence the stress when more people show up. 

I'm not asking for your help. Just want to enjoy myself quietly in a nice place.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

It's the owner who misbehaves, not a guy renting airbnb dude.

No one here would buy anymore with the bad rental yield, the whole re market is skrewed... There will be no new buildings without rental yield.

Normal rentals prices have to rise considerably to fix this.

OK, first off, I was addressing his "solution" which is the Condo Owners need to "police" Air BNB guests!  Sort of ironic? Yes?
Second, if they want to stop building condos in Bangkok, OWNERS would REJOICE ... because demand will still grow ... in a shorter supply side ... so our equity INCREASES. Third. Bangkok can not support more buildings, and it at its limit to handle the traffic and pollution.  In short, you can not state one thing about "more condo buildings" that is good for present condo owners.  in fact, my incredible view is going to be destroyed next year by another project 200 meters away ... so ... "not a fan."

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

If the actual owner lived in the unit there would be no change in security and maintenance, so what's the difference if it is the owner or if it's me?  Ditto the crowding in the pool and gym.  If the unit had an onsite owner and not an airbnb renter, the situation would be the same.

I think the difference is that so many Thai condos are actually only half occupied, if that. So those that DO live there get used to it being very quiet and peaceful since the building is actually housing far fewer people than if it were fully occupied.  Hence the stress when more people show up. 

I'm not asking for your help. Just want to enjoy myself quietly in a nice place.

The word of the day is "accountability"  Condo owners are registered, known, and stand to lose a lot if they misbehave.  A review of a CCTV camera can EASILY identify owners and their families.  By the way, don't let the facts get in your way.  The FACT is, those owners are NOT using the building when they are not there.  Your presence INCREASES demand and strains systems.  And as you know, as proven by your own posting .. MANY Air BnB people are absolute A Holes who have no respect for others.  They are on a short time party mode ... zero "F's" given.  The only reason they behave is because they know with one phone call. OWNERS can make their little holiday pretty "interesting" at the police station and immigration.  I don't know how to say this nicely but ... I do not give one single solitary rat's <deleted> about what you want or need.  In terms of my building ... don't go way mad, just go away!  I had a bunch next door ... who woke us up at 2:00 AM. two days in a row.  I knocked on the door, and we had "the talk."  They were gone the next morning.  And .. that condo owner stopped renting out his condo.  I am a problem solver .. and if you invade my space, break the law, and thumb your nose at me ... I will resolve that ... quickly.

I can understand both sides.  Its illegal to rent for under 30 days.  Plus I think its in many condo rules.   

If short term rentals are stopped 100% I would imagine the condo resale value and  over 30 day rental rates would go down. 

I commonly see a new higher condo going up next to a condo I stay at.  Blocking the view, sunlight, as well as the noise for what must be years.   This seems like this would totally  destroy  a condos resale value? 

I guess there is no way to forsee  or protect from this?  

I also think by looking at lights on from the outside and also how rare it is  to run into someone on my floor I think many condos have a <40% active living rate.    Do people buy these for investment?  Or just so much money they want a place to stay when they visit?

Edited by Elkski