43 killed on first of '7 dangerous days'

rooster59

4 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Please exain how you come to this conclusion.

Gladly.

You stated in post #112 (sorry not 114)  that "they (Thais) are completely uninformed on road safety issues, and quite often aren't even intellectually up to the job".

Post #107 also, "Thailand ignores advice..."

Then in post #117, you state that people exhibit "their personal superiority over the people of Thailand", and the previously noted "generalisation" comment. Criticising others for doing exactly what you just did in 2 cuncurrent posts.

How would you describe that if not hypocritical.?

Edited by Tofer

A few minutes after I arrived at a quiet venue on a straight road last night I heard a sickening thud & looked round to see a body laying on the road 100m away looking in a very bad way.

I later established that an unlicenced, underaged kid on a bike had ploughed into 2x static foreigners who were also on a bike. They too were quite badly injured. All 3 were taken to hospital. The young kid barely moved after the initial impact & I suspect he may well have died.

13 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

It's almost as if people use the road deaths in Thailand with relish as a perceived "evidence" of their personal superiority over the people of Thailand,

Generalisation, cliche, stereotyping and racism seem to be the order off the day.

I wonder how many expats would put up their hand and admit to being an idiot driver too?

The same ones riding bikes without helmets I suspect who then complain about road deaths ! 

forty three killed in first of 7 unsafe days. Forty-three people have been killed and 466 injured in street accidents nationwide on Friday, the first day of the so-called "seven dangerous days'' of the New Year holidays. Drink-driving remained the most important cause.

3 minutes ago, Shellrlen said:
forty three killed in first of 7 unsafe days. Forty-three people have been killed and 466 injured in street accidents nationwide on Friday, the first day of the so-called "seven dangerous days'' of the New Year holidays. Drink-driving remained the most important cause.

Well that's very pretty

On 12/29/2019 at 6:18 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't think even that would work. A lad in the house opposite mine had half his head torn off when he drove his bike drunk into a roadside pole. Next day I saw his brother roaring off on his bike at high speed, no helmet, on the wrong side of the road. You simply can't fix stupid. And it has nothing to do with poor education, but everything to do with common sense - which simply doesn't exist in Thailand.

Thais do have common sense, but considering how they live their lives, common sense has developed differently.

We often see them doing things we consider not normal in our eyes, but perfectly okay for other Thai people. 

If you grow up sitting on the top of a Songthaew on your way to school, it becomes the norm for you.