Road death toll jumps to 109 in first two days of safe driving campaign

webfact

Road death toll jumps to 109 in first two days of safe driving campaign

Y2Gcr7Fswy50802VPSw1fyE8gUVw5b306Do1wled

Authorities have been instructed to tighten up traffic controls in high risk areas as the death toll for the first two days of the seven-day dangerous travel period over the New Year holidays increased from 43 to 109 and the number of injured rose by 527 to 993.

Road accidents during that 48 hours were recorded at 974, with the southern province of Surat Thani topping the list with 33 incidents and 37 people injured. Chiang Rai and Nakhon Sawan had the highest death toll at 6 each.

Drink driving has been a factor in 35.49% of the accidents and motorcycles have been blamed for 74.57%.  65.1% of the accidents occurred on Highway Department’s roads and 30.98% on secondary roads under the jurisdiction of tambon administration organizations and villages.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/road-death-toll-jumps-to-109-in-first-two-days-of-safe-driving-campaign/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Isn't every road in Thailand a high risk area?

No, 

Not at all, but Thai people are still new to driving;
driving schools are very rare in Thailand and students even more rare ...
Also without knowing where and by whom the instructors were trained.
When it comes to going from Sawang daen Din to Nong Khai, the inhabitants of Sawang know only one road; the 22 to Udon Thani then the ring road and then the 2 to Nong Khai ..
While there are at least four other roads, maybe a little longer but completely deserted; almost no traffic

and I keep riding my bicycle, avoiding well on busy roads.

Photo shot yesterday morning 

P1080691_near_ban_Pouey.thumb.JPG.a237869638f7f2064c3b27b28f015a8f.JPG

• Like 1

My wife's cousin accounted for two of those deaths, colliding with a motorcyce/food stall trying to do a u-turn, no lights in the early morning.  H and the motorcucle rider were klled on the scene.  Alchohol was not a factor as he stopped drinking two years ago when his brother was killed at the same time of year on the roads!

He was, though, going too fast (IMHO) judging from the state of his car which left the road, rolled several times and ended up submerged in a ditch.

What strikes me is the nonchalance with which the bad news is greeted by the Thais, including my wife who is comparatively well educated and more western in approach to life!

• Like 2

driving education, driving education, driving education IS THE ONLY WAY forward.....start with the basics....and teach good driving from the beginning....

Enforce the laws already in existance.....and hand out severe fines, and in some cases crush the vehicles, and also hand out proper jail terms !!!

• Like 1

Yesterday Bangkok was so easy to drive through. The only police checks were in areas where roads narrowed but no police on expressway booths. With a police force backed by the military, they could have checkpoints on every major street, but no. Partly, the political will is not there to harass people into better driving. Perhaps a better rail system would encourage Thais to stop driving, but the dual track rail system discussed since the 90s is still not a reality. Mass transportation would really help lower the death toll.

3 hours ago, thasoss said:

why does this country do nothing to stop this carnage? Is it just put in the "too hard basket"

Or is it a buddha thing.............reincarnation,so why bother everyone comes back anyway?

Old faithfuls prayers and selfie's are being ignored.

I beg you to not drink does not hold water, Thai drivers are ,shocking, the bikes are immune to accidents, I still see no helmets, I still see babies on bikes and lunatics driving at mad speeds, flashing lights as they go " get out of my way me first".

I do not see BIB on the road, I do not see enforcement, and I do see that the idiots are thinking of raising the speed limits.

The roads here are suicide lanes and old faithfuls prayers won't cut it.

'

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Yesterday Bangkok was so easy to drive through. The only police checks were in areas where roads narrowed but no police on expressway booths. With a police force backed by the military, they could have checkpoints on every major street, but no. Partly, the political will is not there to harass people into better driving. Perhaps a better rail system would encourage Thais to stop driving, but the dual track rail system discussed since the 90s is still not a reality. Mass transportation would really help lower the death toll.

Might lower the death toll for Chinese tourists, won't help Thais

Did see police pulling over  for no helmets  yesterday but also man going through red light because  he can.   This am having  coffee at a sidewalk  stall  and man from a parked minivan for hire comes up and  gets  bottle of soap 20 baht.  I guess he implied he was with us  and we would pay. Barista even bagged it for him. Then as he drove off she asked if were with  him.  This is the thai  criminal  mind.  Imho.  This guy has done like this before.  He saw an opportunity.   

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Just a normal day in the thunder dome.

Traffic-death-stat.thumb.jpg.0827f9dddcc261b357261960717f8a36.jpg

Nonsense. It has been said many times, and quoted on this forum, that all fatalities are included in the gross yearly total yet people still peddle the above myth.

Curious to know how the author of the alleged statistics actually found the numbers used if they aren't actually published. Just a guess, I guess.