US man detained in Thailand over bullet in luggage

webfact

10 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

One bullet. Scam or no scam... do the "authorities" really need to detain him, hold him, and make him go to court? Answer: No. This is BS. One bullet is not a threat. 

Neither was the .02 grams of powder on that model..was it 15 years?

1 minute ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Exactly. I don't know if it's a scam or not, but arresting him and having him stay in the country for months awaiting trial is just ridiculous, and all these horror stories are a big part of why tourism is going down. Give him a fine and let him go.

There does seem to be more scams around though, like the case with the French guy. Probably due to the economy and less tourists = less "revenue" for the rogue guys so they're getting "creative". Not a good situation as more scams bring less tourists, and less tourists bring more scams...

I do agree with the prominence of the scams...kind of like how they raise prices, when business is down.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It seems there could / should be a ‘go to’ Judge who can apply a ‘fast track’ common sense approach to these issues. 

I’m not sure it was a scam: its the first I’ve heard of that being a scam in Thailand, also given where the guy is from etc it would be easy enough to forget a bullet in his bag. 

‘A common sense’ judge could recognize this, use his discretion and say bad boy, be careful next time. 

If it were 10 bullets that’s different, but being treated so harshly for a single bullet just stinks of ‘faux outrage’ and typical over-reaction. 

News such as this damages Thailands reputation far more than a couple getting it on, on the beach at night. 

What ever happened to the tourist court at the airport? That lasted about a week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I don't think you are correct.  Prince Andrew gave his interview absolutely free from pressure or obligation, and it had nothing to do with the US.

What I mean is, this story broke in the US where the British gvt has no jurisdiction.

If whatever is alleged to have happened, happened solely within the UK, I think it would've been covered up.

When Andrew gave his interview the story had already broken.

After saying that, what he is alleged to have done in the UK was with a girl who was of age.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Looks like that old scam is back again 

I assume that is the case, but what I don't understand is how they know which people to scam. Had it been me I could not have paid up as don't have that sort of spare cash lying around, and no one else is going to give it for me.

If they scammed people like me the jails would be full of farangs generating bad publicity for LOS.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I assume that is the case, but what I don't understand is how they know which people to scam. Had it been me I could not have paid up as don't have that sort of spare cash lying around, and no one else is going to give it for me.

If they scammed people like me the jails would be full of farangs generating bad publicity for LOS.

Got ahold of his FICO score somehow ?  Checked the rating of the credit card used to buy the ticket ?  Just figured any African-American that visits Thailand must have money?

It's not just a single bullet to be careful about. What is one were to handle ammo or a recently fired gun the day of or day before a flight, and then got one of those swab tests at the airport, of one's person or luggage? 

15 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I agree with this but what is the kid going to do with it? Build a gun out of Airplane food and utensils and then take over the entire airplane with his plastic homemade gun and single bullet? 

Not going to build a gun...this is a scam amongst so many other that are slammed on foreigners by Thai authorities

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Not going to build a gun...this is a scam amongst so many other that are slammed on foreigners by Thai authorities

From what I can tell from the article he hasn't been scammed - he has paid an official bail amount so he is not in jail.  He is in a hotel.  And he is awaiting a court date.  At that court hearing he will almost certainly be fined and sent home.

If it was a scam then the money paid would have been a bribe, he would have been released and on his way already.  So please explain the scam to me.  If this is a scam it's a pretty dumb one as nobody has asked for any money - they really must try harder.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Your unshakable belief that Western countries are amazing, incorruptible, perfect, secure is quite something to behold.  Not sure if you genuinely believe that or if it is just part of a general superiority complex.

I remember reading this year of a passenger who got all the way to Tokyo with a loaded gun on her.  She got all the way through security screening in Atlanta with nobody noticing, and it only came to prominence because she realised it herself and alerted the crew.  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/us/delta-passenger-gun.html

Then there was the guy who got arrested on arrival in Haiti with three boxes of guns and ammo in his checked baggage including Uzis which are illegal in the States.  This was last month.  He'd checked in to this international flight in Miami.

I believe Miami and Atlanta are major airports with "ungoldly strict" security.  They are also in America, one of your hailed "first world" countries. 

I don't know where this guy's bullet came from (no one does yet), but it really isn't inconceivable that a single bullet made it's way here from there, not inconceivable at all, and you are extremely naive to state it's outright impossible I have to say.  

Plenty of other articles out there about security lapses at US airports, about people committed of serious terrorist crimes working at US airports (after the crimes by the way, not before).

Take a look at the staff who more or less run London's Heathrow. You won't believe it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Your unshakable belief that Western countries are amazing, incorruptible, perfect, secure is quite something to behold. 

Japan, Taiwan, and China are not western countries for your information. All of them are incredibly strict when it comes to airport security.

US airport security is really good when it comes to finding contraband. Flying through multiple US airports increases the odds that it would have been found. Sure, things can skip though, but it’s not slipping through multiple US airports and another first world airport in Asia, only to have the Thais find it. They would have flagged him in Japan or whenever he passed through if he slipped through the US.

This is also the SECOND bullet found the same at the same airport within a few weeks. Since you didn’t know Japan, Taiwan, and China are not in the west., “second” means there have been two people. One came before the other, a few weeks apart. A “week” is 7 days. 

No one says the west isn’t corruptible. You said that. But they function and are quite amazing. That’s why you can’t afford to live there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1