will mankind survive?

ivor bigun

56 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO war will be the killer, when two countries we both know well go to war. The result will be a much reduced population. The only question to ask is how much land will still be habitable?

I agree but I see it as a Cyber War.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, neeray said:

Should these dyer consequences be realized, populations will surely migrate. If water is the resource of need, my home country of Canada is sure to be invaded, perhaps first and foremost by that big neighbour, of 330 million, to the south (better build a wall soon).

Recent surveys suggest that there may be as many as 2 million lakes in Canada. About 7.6% of Canada's nearly 10 million km2 is covered by fresh water; enough water is contained by these lakes and rivers to flood the entire country to a depth of over 2 m. (Google search).

Lake Baikal in Russia holds about 22% of the worlds fresh surface water.

Huge freshwater icebergs continually detach from the shelf in Antarctica and slowly dissolve in the oceans - a resource currently untapped. Lakes and rivers in Africa and South America contain enormous reserves.

I think there is enough fresh water available to mankind without having to create extra salinity in the oceans, it just has to be utilized more efficiently.  The main danger to the oceans and therefore every species, is the rapid decline of krill, the basis of all sea life.

For those who found the 20 minute video on page 1, too taxing on their time and instead lauded some witty one liners, should really try to watch it. The book author's versions of population growth make much more sense than projections by the UN.

42 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

While the planet is huge, the atmosphere and water are seem limited.

Good one, I think below illustration brings some reality to the sheer size of the sun, yet people still "want" to believe that we are on the main influence on climate change.

sun_jove_earth_size_compare.jpg

57 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Says the foreigner living in Thailand!

Typical, how many of us here are on the social,living in camps getting free food etc ,how many of us have got free social housing ,how many of us commit knife crimes and all manor of atrocities here? how many of us live here without any money,or jumped out of a boat at Pattaya beach and dissapeared into the black economy answer on a postage stamp please .

"if you have nothing to say ,best say nothing"

I have a controversial answer as to why earth and its people will survive into the future, and, indeed, have already done so. 

So far, deep-space probes have revealed no signs of extraterrestrial life-forms.  Therefore, if there is no life on exoplanets, where do all of the UFO's that are spotted daily, many with enormously credible, documented sightings, and the close encounters frequently detailed also, come from? (I understand, of course, that the majority of mankind is sceptical, disbelieving, that there are such things as UFO's and alien visitors to our planet).  But bear with me.

The answer to these visitations can only be that the visitors WE SEE TODAY are human beings, ourselves in other words, FROM THE FUTURE, by when time travel and other advanced technology will be the norm! Those from the future will treat the "past" conditions on earth which they encounter as something of a practical history lesson, and learn from the obvious mistakes which they see unfolding, and take these lessons "back to the future" for educational purposes.

As to the present, man's inventiveness/creativity and technological/ scientific advances will ensure that there will always be enough food to eat and water to drink for the inhabitants on earth.

For those currently concerned about so-called man-made greenhouse gases (CO2) destroying the atmosphere, C02 leads to the growth of new trees and forests, which, in turn, pour oxygen out into the atmosphere and into our seas.

1 hour ago, KenKadz said:

If all the human beings are removed from the earth today, all the other animals will be better off. Except for the domestic variety that depends on human beings.

Those domestic animals.... some will escape or go feral.. and over a few hundred / thousand years they will have reverted back to become like their wild ancestors where at the start of domestication.  

10 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Short answer: No, as the sun will eventually be extinct.

But that is a not going to happen for a long time yet.  Hopefully, if we as a species can get our act together in time, stop wasting our energy and thoughts on wars. religions and superstitions and put that energy into scientific research and technology then we may develop space travel and be zipping about the universe colonising other planets or getting to know other alien races.   If we get to that stage, I bet there will still be a long line at immigration on the alien worlds.... where we really will be the 'aliens'.  

7 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Those domestic animals.... some will escape or go feral.. and over a few hundred / thousand years they will have reverted back to become like their wild ancestors where at the start of domestication.  

But that is a not going to happen for a long time yet.  Hopefully, if we as a species can get our act together in time, stop wasting our energy and thoughts on wars. religions and superstitions and put that energy into scientific research and technology then we may develop space travel and be zipping about the universe colonising other planets or getting to know other alien races.   If we get to that stage, I bet there will still be a long line at immigration on the alien worlds.... where we really will be the 'aliens'.  

I'd like to try what you're smoking.  :stoner:

Human kind will not survive much longer and neither should it.  Humans are destructive, violent to an unimaginable degree, selfish and arrogant about their place in Nature. When one considers that the Dinosaurs lasted some 60 million years and we have barely made it to 4 million, it puts our meager existence into some kind of perspective.  The World will go on very well without us. 

1 hour ago, KenKadz said:

If all the human beings are removed from the earth today, all the other animals will be better off. Except for the domestic variety that depends on human beings.

I certainly agree that the planet would a much better place without man's influence and interference. It survived and flourished without us for millions of years and would and very likely will do so again in the not too distant future.

I don't agree with you about about domesticated animals though. I'm sure they are also able to survive without us, although those that have been selectively breed would have a hard time and wouldn't make it. Chihuahuas, for instant would brobably become a prey species to larger dogs that display more wolf like characteristics. Man's rather foolishly breed canine versions would soon disappear.

22 hours ago, CGW said:

I have read where there is concern about "water" I came to the conclusion & obviously I may be wrong that they were building up to yet another scam like "climate change" to make money, the corporations that run the world through whatever government they have installed to do their bidding would like nothing better than to charge us for every drop of water that we use, more money to add to their coffers, more control, just like they want to centralise control for global warming or whatever they are calling it this week.

The amount of water on earth is going to remain the same, it can't go anywhere? natural climate change which has always happened will move it to different areas, there will be new deserts and new green lands in the future using that self same water.

If I was the worrying kind I would have more concerns about that huge ball of fire in the sky that gives us life - the sun - it has the ability to wipe us out at any time, but they haven't found a way of scamming the public out of money to prevent that happening! 

Or maybe I'm wrong? ????

In Australia ther local councils are scamming people (like golf courses) for the dams that they have on their properties - the bigger the 'dam' the bigger their taxes.  Yep - they are taxing people for the amount of rain they collect.  When the last drought was bad I suggested the golf course send a letter to council demanding a refund because it hadnt rained in nearly a year.  The liberal left idiots that infest that place, said they dont collect  taxes for rain, only for the ability to store it.  The irony of government taxing people for something they do not control or provide, missed their small minds completely.  Australia is the social welfare State that all western countries will become unless they turn hard right. 

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

Dinosaurs have lasted about 240 million years, and there are currently still 10,000-20,000 living species (we call them birds).

true, including lizards and crocodiles. Rather makes my point. 

20 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Australia is the social welfare State that all western countries will become unless they turn hard right. 

I agree with that statement, Australia appears to be the forerunner for just how much "control" people will accept!

Free press is now a thing of the past, Silicone valley controls the "news" to a huge extent, there are few reporters left in the world, only repeaters who write what they are told to or they will have no source of income. The MSM is controlled by the same few who own all the corporations and have governments working for them, we are conditioned to believe through "education" (indoctrination) very hard for most to see the truth, even when it is staring them in the face. People are not educated to question, they are considered good scholars if they absorb and believe everything they are told!

Sad thing is "when" there is a major catastrophe the few (Elites, 1% whatever you wont to call them) who rule the world now already have there hiding places ready, deep bunkers stocked with food & all the supplies they will need to see them through a "nuclear winter" Then they will continue where they left off once some sort of normality resumes.

Think I just had my daily rant! :goof:

On 12/30/2019 at 3:50 PM, AussieBob18 said:

The issue is water. There is not enough water for 15 billion people and all the other life on the planet.  Climate Change is an over-rated scam IMO - but clean drinking water shortages in the future is real. The costs of converting the oceans to clean water and transporting it will be far too high for many countries.  I cant reemmebr the numbers but I read a report a few years ago that said by 2050 there will be too many people for the readily available water.   

What do you think happens to water when it is drunk? Do you think it is destroyed and there is a finite amount left?

Rooster

13 minutes ago, CGW said:

I agree with that statement, Australia appears to be the forerunner for just how much "control" people will accept!

Free press is now a thing of the past, Silicone valley controls the "news" to a huge extent, there are few reporters left in the world, only repeaters who write what they are told to or they will have no source of income. The MSM is controlled by the same few who own all the corporations and have governments working for them, we are conditioned to believe through "education" (indoctrination) very hard for most to see the truth, even when it is staring them in the face. People are not educated to question, they are considered good scholars if they absorb and believe everything they are told!

Sad thing is "when" there is a major catastrophe the few (Elites, 1% whatever you wont to call them) who rule the world now already have there hiding places ready, deep bunkers stocked with food & all the supplies they will need to see them through a "nuclear winter" Then they will continue where they left off once some sort of normality resumes.

Think I just had my daily rant! :goof:

Fair enough rant.  And it all comes about because isdiots believe the Government has a solution to all their problems,  and are too stupid to realise that they are all giving their own personal values and ideals to the 'system'  

2 hours ago, allanos said:

For those currently concerned about so-called man-made greenhouse gases (CO2) destroying the atmosphere, C02 leads to the growth of new trees and forests, which, in turn, pour oxygen out into the atmosphere and into our seas.

Yea... they should also be more worried about Methane gas (23 times the effect of the CO2), which mainly produced from the meat production in America. Radioactive substances are also the main destroyers too, especially from the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster that destroys most of marine life (including Plankton which is the greatest O2 producer on the earth!) in the Pacific Ocean. Even if I love seafood I don't think I's eat anything from the Pacific Ocean though.

Man's tenure on earth has been brief and civilisation as we know it will be briefer still. But I think mankind will survive - we are easily the most intelligent species ever to inhabit earth and should ultimately be able to work out how to live here in harmony. But as I say, it will be a very different civilization and an almost unrecognizable branch of homo sapiens that will inhabit the planet in a million years and more of time. 

Ultimately we are all doomed because the sun will run out of fuel. Though I think the chance of any form of human ciilization getting that far is utterly remote.

Rooster

17 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Man's tenure on earth has been brief and civilisation as we know it will be briefer still. But I think mankind will survive - we are easily the most intelligent species ever to inhabit earth and should ultimately be able to work out how to live here in harmony. But as I say, it will be a very different civilization and an almost unrecognizable branch of homo sapiens that will inhabit the planet in a million years and more of time. 

Ultimately we are all doomed because the sun will run out of fuel. Though I think the chance of any form of human ciilization getting that far is utterly remote.

Rooster

The sun will shut down in a million years or so.  There will be plenty of time for an advanced race of humans to anticipate, visualise and create necessary alternatives.

It will not be beyond the wit of man to create artificial, orbiting suns, close to the earth to provide the necessary sunlight and warmth so vital to man's existence.

Electricity will be generated within the orbiting spheres via nuclear fusion (not fission), and transmitted to earth through the ether, somewhat akin to how a Tesla Tower was envisioned to operate wirelessly.

Well,   if there is a catastrophic event,   Such as a celestial body striking our planet,   then the initial impact would cause tsunamis,  earthquakes,  and there would be a huge debris cloud in the atmosphere which would black out the sun causing a superfreeze event in the area not receiving the sunlight.     It would only take a few days for the temperatures to drop so low that anything above ground would freeze.

The infrastructure/ roadways/ bridges/ electrical/ water piping and sewer would be defunct in many places,  so getting supplies,  and just staying sanitary would be impossible,   and many would die from simple diseases as a result of bad water,   disentery,  cholera...

A land strike will have different consequences than a water strike.  

Any event which upsets our power grid for a prolonged period  for any reason (quake/war/flood/EMP/CME will mean that the cooling pools at hundreds of nuclear facilities will run out of diesel for their feul pool cooling.   

meltdowns will kick off about 2 weeks after lights out.   that is all the diesel that they have on site for generator power, Which means chernobyl like damage for the folks downwind and downriver of those facilities.

If we have a Belch from our sun like the carrington event which happened relatively recently,  but before 90% of the electrical grid was in place,  there would be terrible and catastrophic results.

There are Solar events which in the right conditions could effectively strip away large sections of our atmosphere in a single blast,  and without an atmosphere,   the area of the vaccum of space would be flash frozen in a matter of a few seconds. 

Archived