will mankind survive?

ivor bigun

10 minutes ago, allanos said:

The sun will shut down in a million years or so.  There will be plenty of time for an advanced race of humans to anticipate, visualise and create necessary alternatives.

It will not be beyond the wit of man to create artificial, orbiting suns, close to the earth to provide the necessary sunlight and warmth so vital to man's existence.

Electricity will be generated within the orbiting spheres via nuclear fusion (not fission), and transmitted to earth through the ether, somewhat akin to how a Tesla Tower was envisioned to operate wirelessly.

I think you'll find that you a tad off with your million years assessment. Try 5 billion, that might be a little bit closer. 

Appreciating, or attempting to appreciate, cosmological time and space should be a bedrock of such discussions. It's science not Spielberg.

Rooster

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, allanos said:

Electricity will be generated within the orbiting spheres via nuclear fusion (not fission), and transmitted to earth through the ether, somewhat akin to how a Tesla Tower was envisioned to operate wirelessly.

Along these lines https://www.iter.org/proj/inafewlines massive project, MSM never tells us anything off course! My understanding is they still don't have the "fuel" yet, needs to be mined in space, look at the countries and money involved, they are quite happy to keep the majority in poverty while projects like this are carried out.

16 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I think you'll find that you a tad off with your million years assessment. Try 5 billion, that might be a little bit closer. 

Appreciating, or attempting to appreciate, cosmological time and space should be a bedrock of such discussions. It's science not Spielberg.

Rooster

I think you are simply reinforcing the point I made, in response to your comment that the sun will ultimately run out of fuel. Be it a million years or 5 billion years, there is sufficient time to develop the necessary technology to ensure humankind's survival.

As a point of interest, estimates of the age of the universe, and the planets and suns within it, including earth, are simply that; estimates! 

All that science can do is make a best guess.  And not all scientists are in agreement. How can they be when billions of years are the subject of the conversation. How's that for appreciation?

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Don't tell our female candidate who thinks she deserves to win. ???? 

The problem is............  look at all the guys on that forum that are wimpering after her .  She bashes them, then sends a PM or i'm sorry, englit not good  and they love her again like dogs

following a hot dog stand.  

I am pretty sure ALL those guys have women to die for.   Well,  I would die anyway.

I offer free attitude adjustment classes and Mrs Rumak is happy to let all know what its

like to live with a real man .   

They can't handle the truth.   They are p......w......d   .   Plain and simple

22 minutes ago, allanos said:

I think you are simply reinforcing the point I made, in response to your comment that the sun will ultimately run out of fuel. Be it a million years or 5 billion years, there is sufficient time to develop the necessary technology to ensure humankind's survival.

As a point of interest, estimates of the age of the universe, and the planets and suns within it, including earth, are simply that; estimates! 

All that science can do is make a best guess.  And not all scientists are in agreement. How can they be when billions of years are the subject of the conversation. How's that for appreciation?

My point is that a million and five billion are completely different numbers. A million barely gives any time for homo sapiens to evolve naturally. Five billion and man might be fish again.

If it comes down to technology then the time needed will be much less, I'll grant you that. 

Rooster

On 12/30/2019 at 9:50 AM, AussieBob18 said:

The issue is water. There is not enough water for 15 billion people and all the other life on the planet.  Climate Change is an over-rated scam IMO - but clean drinking water shortages in the future is real. The costs of converting the oceans to clean water and transporting it will be far too high for many countries.  I cant reemmebr the numbers but I read a report a few years ago that said by 2050 there will be too many people for the readily available water.   

There is alot of water inside mother earth, even more than on surface, so no problem with water shortage at all. Also the use of thermal destilled salt water is also a possible solution as membran destilation. 

According to Wikipedia, we have 600 million years before most plants become extinct, due to carbon dioxide levels being too low, as weathering of rocks increases with increasing luminosity of the Sun. 4 billion years before Earth’s surface melts, though. The Sun will become much. much brighter long before it runs out of fuel.

To answer the topic, I think we are doomed, but if there is 1 year or 100 000 years or more? I believe nobody can imagine or answer. To many variables for that, but I think we are a very destructive specie with no common community sense at all to survive all together. 

Some might manage to escape the planet and start all over somewhere in the galaxy or universe. Who knows? 

4 hours ago, allanos said:

I have a controversial answer as to why earth and its people will survive into the future, and, indeed, have already done so. 

So far, deep-space probes have revealed no signs of extraterrestrial life-forms.  Therefore, if there is no life on exoplanets, where do all of the UFO's that are spotted daily, many with enormously credible, documented sightings, and the close encounters frequently detailed also, come from? (I understand, of course, that the majority of mankind is sceptical, disbelieving, that there are such things as UFO's and alien visitors to our planet).  But bear with me.

The answer to these visitations can only be that the visitors WE SEE TODAY are human beings, ourselves in other words, FROM THE FUTURE, by when time travel and other advanced technology will be the norm! Those from the future will treat the "past" conditions on earth which they encounter as something of a practical history lesson, and learn from the obvious mistakes which they see unfolding, and take these lessons "back to the future" for educational purposes.

As to the present, man's inventiveness/creativity and technological/ scientific advances will ensure that there will always be enough food to eat and water to drink for the inhabitants on earth.

For those currently concerned about so-called man-made greenhouse gases (CO2) destroying the atmosphere, C02 leads to the growth of new trees and forests, which, in turn, pour oxygen out into the atmosphere and into our seas.

Err...nope, time travel isn't the only possible answer. What about about inter-dimensional travel?

1 minute ago, TKDfella said:

Err...nope, time travel isn't the only possible answer. What about about inter-dimensional travel?

I didn't say that time travel is the only possible answer, so please don't put words in my mouth.  Albert Einstein, did, however, suggest that time travel, teleportation etc., are theoretically possible.

Indeed, you are quite correct. Science postulates the existence of wormholes, considerably shortening the distances between galaxies and possibly of future use in deep-space exploration, etc

3 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Dinosaurs have lasted about 240 million years, and there are currently still 10,000-20,000 living species (we call them birds).

Well no, not quite right. True that birds are related to some dinosaurs but there are other dinosaurs that are not on the same branch. In fact there is new evidence that suggests that the larger dinosaurs would have become extinct anyway. Due to their assumed enormous appetite they were gradually running out of their food supply, both the large carnivores and herbivores.

2 hours ago, allanos said:

The sun will shut down in a million years or so.  There will be plenty of time for an advanced race of humans to anticipate, visualise and create necessary alternatives.

It will not be beyond the wit of man to create artificial, orbiting suns, close to the earth to provide the necessary sunlight and warmth so vital to man's existence.

make that 5 billion or so years before the sun dies off. 

47 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Well no, not quite right. True that birds are related to some dinosaurs but there are other dinosaurs that are not on the same branch. In fact there is new evidence that suggests that the larger dinosaurs would have become extinct anyway. Due to their assumed enormous appetite they were gradually running out of their food supply, both the large carnivores and herbivores

“There is no doubt that birds are dinosaurs,” says Luis Chiappe, director of the Dinosaur Institute at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County. “The evidence is so overwhelming, I would put it next to whether you’re going to question if humans are primates.”

On 12/30/2019 at 8:19 PM, daveAustin said:

Nope unless action is taken like dumping the monetary system and oil, and altering our mindset. Whoever says climate isn't affected by putting billions of tons of CO2 and other nasties into the atmosphere while removing millions of trees at the same time is not thinking or didn't listen in primary school geography.

you got that 180 degree wrong, co2 is not a nastie, it is a critical molecule for life on earth.

plants die at 150 ppm or below, and is destined to fall below that threshold

due to all the various sea life forms hellbent in extinguish life on earth as they

use co2 as a building block for their shells.

these shells does not get recycled back into the atmosphere in the cycle of life,

instead they just sink in the sediments and turn into limestone, depleting the vital

co2 molecule until the inevitable happen, -less then 150 ppm co2, end of plants,

and consequently everything else up the food chain.

the only specie that can ultimately prevent mass extinction is man,

and the only way we can do it is by recycling back co2 into the atmosphere where it belong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Z5FdwWw_c

23 hours ago, Denim said:

Whatever. Mankind's extinction would be a good result for the planet. We are not the be all and end all of creation.

We have been given the wonderful gift of life and intelligence and yet we have abused this gift for thousands of years.

Whatever the planet has in store for us we deserve it.

no, life on earth is destined to go extinct in 2 million years without man

recycling back co2 into the atmosphere,

there is a continuous depletion of co2 going on, and we are the only specie able to rectify it

11 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

due to all the various sea life forms hellbent in extinguish life on earth as they

use co2 as a building block for their shells.

There’s actually concern that increased levels of carbon dioxide dissolving in the ocean to form carbonic acid may make it more difficult for animals to build their shells. Search for “ocean acidification” on the internet.

On 12/30/2019 at 10:35 AM, CharlieH said:

According to Isaac Newton we wont, his papers hidden for many years seem to suggest he had predicted that the end of days will be 2060.

Of course one of many "predictions" made by various scholars over time,

I was curious so found this... This sounds like the creation of a New Earth. Ever read Eckhart Tolle?

"Best known for his advancements in scientific thought Sir Isaac Newton was also big into his apocalyptic prophecy. Largely unknown and unpublished documents, evidently written by Isaac Newton, indicate that he believed the world could end in 2060 AD. (He also had many other possible dates e.g. 2034). Despite the dramatic nature of a prediction of the end of the world, Newton may not have been referring to the 2060 date as a destructive act resulting in the annihilation of the earth and its inhabitants, but rather one in which he believed the world was to be replaced with a new one based upon a transition to an era of divinely inspired peace."

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/sir-isaac-newton-s-daniel-and-the-apocalypse-1733

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

There’s actually concern that increased levels of carbon dioxide dissolving in the ocean to form carbonic acid may make it more difficult for animals to build their shells. Search for “ocean acidification” on the internet.

the sea life forms that evolved into building shells, including corals,

did so in cambrian era 550 million years ago when co2 was 2500 ppm.

they would never have evolved into using co2 as a building block for

their protective shells in the first instance if co2 had been as <deleted> poor as it is today. id argue the opposite is true, just like plants, these various

sea life forms require a certain minimum level of co2 to build/live.

the concern is built on nonsense & FUD

long time.jpg

ammonite.jpg

I don't believe that man effects global warming. All the smoke & pollution going into the atmosphere would be a pin head compared to the universe so forget this theory it's garbage.

I believe mammoths and dinosaurs became extinct because of bush fires and natural causes.

The world travels in cycles and now we have catastrophic bush fires in australia which is decimating the wildlife in that 50% of koala's have been wiped out as well as thousands of other marsupials and ground dwelling animals.

Bush fires, earthquakes, tornado's, cyclone's, tsunami's, ....  these are what makes the earth's population extinct, not man made.

IMO.  and I truly believe this as common sense. 

Long term the only way mankind survives is to expand beyond a single planet.  Eventually this rock will be hit by another rock at high speed and most forms of life will be killed.  So I say full speed ahead on technological innovation but let's try and do it without poisoning ourselves in the process.

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

the sea life forms that evolved into building shells, including corals,

did so in cambrian era 550 million years ago when co2 was 2500 ppm.

You could be right, I did say “may” in my post, and I’m certainly not a follower of the “End of the world is nigh” Greta Thunberg.

Love the ammonite, I have a (very) small specimen of one.

Assuming that the predictions of disasters due to global warming are true, we are confronted with the negative effect that various greening steps will have on the world economy and how the public will react to them.  It seems likely that severe governmental control would be necessary to institute the changes required and that this would result in political chaos.

8 hours ago, rumak said:

The problem is............  look at all the guys on that forum that are wimpering after her .  She bashes them, then sends a PM or i'm sorry, englit not good  and they love her again like dogs

following a hot dog stand.  

I am pretty sure ALL those guys have women to die for.   Well,  I would die anyway.

I offer free attitude adjustment classes and Mrs Rumak is happy to let all know what its

like to live with a real man .   

They can't handle the truth.   They are p......w......d   .   Plain and simple

:smile: Go slow. Questioning the authencity of certain posters within the POTY circus may result in "administative punishement". I experienced such "punishement" within this context. So again: Go slow.

9 hours ago, allanos said:

Futuristic. You are forgetting the time factor. Even nuclear-fusion (on earth) will take another 40 years of research and developement. Not to speak of your other futuristic "projects" in space.

Would take 200 years to put in place all of your "projects". We don't have this much time left.
If this is a race between "technological-advancement" and the "backlash" of an abused planet, we are not likely to find ourselves on the winning side.

Interesting topic.
Some post were well documented by actual scientific findings (remarkable). Some post were based on "alternatve science". (also remarkable). Not surprising, as we live in the age of "alternative facts".

"Facebook" and it's proponents of "alternative science" is not your friend.

- One thing remains: If population growth can not be reighned in, all counter measures "to save the planet", will be nullified by population growth. Every earthling newcomer will eventually need a car, a refrigerator etc etc etc etc.........
Pure mathematics. No more, no less.
----------------------
Happy new year. Even to those that prefer to engage in "alternative" science or "alternative" truth's.
Cheers.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

I don't believe that man effects global warming. All the smoke & pollution going into the atmosphere would be a pin head compared to the universe so forget this theory it's garbage.

I believe mammoths and dinosaurs became extinct because of bush fires and natural causes.

The world travels in cycles and now we have catastrophic bush fires in australia which is decimating the wildlife in that 50% of koala's have been wiped out as well as thousands of other marsupials and ground dwelling animals.

Bush fires, earthquakes, tornado's, cyclone's, tsunami's, ....  these are what makes the earth's population extinct, not man made.

IMO.  and I truly believe this as common sense. 

I aggree the manmade clima crizis is out of propotion, but we do have a huge impact on the earth. If you do not realize that, well then I feel sorry for you and everyone else who feel the same, as I feel sorry for us who believe! Planet earth is a fragile place

33 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I aggree the manmade clima crizis is out of propotion, but we do have a huge impact on the earth. If you do not realize that, well then I feel sorry for you and everyone else who feel the same, as I feel sorry for us who believe! Planet earth is a fragile place

yes, the littering of plastic all over in nature is downright shameful,

efforts should be made to develop a bag that can safely hold hot soup for 24 hours

and still be entirely de-composable

3 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

yes, the littering of plastic all over in nature is downright shameful,

efforts should be made to develop a bag that can safely hold hot soup for 24 hours

and still be entirely de-composable

Im not only thinking about littering, but will leave it for every mankind to figure out their battles! Happy new year ????

Archived