208 deaths reported halfway through 7 dangerous days in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

18 hours ago, Mbaki said:

So much avoidable carnage and it’s the same every year, my wife won’t let me drive or ride anywhere at this time of year a lot safer preparing weeks before hand and staying at home.

It's the same each day....only highlighted at holiday time

• Like 2

Just wait until tomorrow,people who have been partying for a few days,no sleep

lots of alcohol and now they need to get back.

Nothing more dangerous then a sleepy groggy driver,be careful out there.

• Like 1

come to Thailand and stay indoors bet you are a bundle of laughs, if we knew what the next 5 minute would bring we would spend it wisely, your life is mapped out for you no matter what you think. just look at the poor english guy who died at midnight, checking out what he thought was a dud firework, R.I.P. even as a kid we were taught, *never go back to a firework, that has not gone off* these damn things are like hand grenades

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

According to Witthawan, most of the deaths and injuries were recorded among people 50 years and over

So it's not the under 25's doing all the drinking and self euthanisng, as reported yesterday.

21 hours ago, Creasy said:

The country is led by morons who blatantly break all the laws.

So expecting the average Somchai to abide by the laws written by the crooks who run the country is a bit much.

Correct, and adding to that, the low mentality of most Thais, and the results are there for all to see.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Not easy getting to sleep last night after 12.00, the sound of

sirens,sometimes 3 different ones at a time,it's not just about those

that get killed or injured, its their friends and family,losing a bread

winner here is serious.

regards worgeordie

Most of the accident perpetrators probably have taken too much of the clockwork orange.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree about the cycling, i do about 250km a week which i do for exercise, for getting about the scooter is still king. You just have to assess the risks and ride safely whether its cycling or a motorbike

I find that riding a motorbike in Bangkok is not as dangerous as riding one in any other Thai cities, as long as you take care at all times. It seems to be that motorbike riders in Bangkok are more careful for some reason.

... and not having a valid driver’s license (52,650 persons).

This pretty much sums it up for me (and that's just who they caught over a 4 day period)... can't even be arsed to get a license. Little hope for much else but I guess it's the true cultural attitude towards most things here, which is the same couldn't give a s#hit. Every time they have a big holiday here it's the equivalent of just flying a packed 747 into a mountain.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Brigand said:

This pretty much sums it up for me (and that's just who they caught over a 4 day period)... can't even be arsed to get a license. Little hope for much else but I guess it's the true cultural attitude towards most things here, which is the same couldn't give a s#hit. Every time they have a big holiday here it's the equivalent of just flying a packed 747 into a mountain.

I'm guessing most haven't got the time or money to go and get a licence, too busy scraping a living. Have you noticed how most poorer people get virtually no holiday

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Out here in the sticks I have a 25km trip to Lotus Express (50km round trip) and I am damned sure I won't be doing it on a push bike!  When I just want a bottle of milk and loaf I take the bike.....which is safer if you need to get off the road quickly.  

You can get a loaf in Isaan ??????

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm guessing most haven't got the time or money to go and get a licence, too busy scraping a living. Have you noticed how most poorer people get virtually no holiday

A specious argument/hypothesis, IMHO. They manage to find the money to buy a motorbike and pay for gasoline, yes? And they find the time to ride it, yes? The question I have is if they are that poor why aren't they on bicycles, as many genuinely poor Thais are?

I'm sure many Thais use motorbikes and other motor vehicles for frivolous trips and/or as status symbols. Status symbols for sure with many owners of cars and SUVs, but at least those owners are safer than the motorbike owner/operators (At least their I'd say their accident survivability probability is a lot higher).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubon farang said:

So has the road deaths improved or not? Watching the idiots race past the shop i was at last night i think not. Speeding was out of control and i mean these guys were not just over the limit they were way past the speeding limit it was  like a drag race .Yippee I am flying take me to heaven quick

Yeah, it probably was some kind of drunken race even if they were only trying to beat their personal best. It's like a Le Mans race on my narrow soi every day. Usually it's motorbikes (often ridiculously loud ones) passing cars, but sometimes it's a high-performance car passing motorbikes. Never seen the RTP clock and pursue a speeder or loud motorbike. They sometimes come around to write tickets for illegal parking, though.

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

you stay at home and don't go out? you need to work out your own risks for your area rather than just look at national statistics. Frightened rabbits severely restrict their life by not having a motorbike

As do morons who think it'll never happen to them...

• Thanks 1

quote “Four days of the “7 dangerous days” have so far seen 208 deaths

quote “But really the other 358 days are only slight & I mean very slightly less dangerous as they average 60 dead on any given day

so 4 days x 60 = 240, so the death rate is actually LOWER than average, maybe the advertising campaign is working

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

you can't live like a frightened rabbit all your life

You are correct! I decided to live like a frightened cautious, albeit a somewhat strange, homo sapiens sapiens while in Thailand and elsewhere. Have we heard the last of the "frightened rabbit" from you now? It (the metaphor) is getting a bit worn and tattered, doncha think?

Edited by MaxYakov

7 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

You are correct! I decided to live like a frightened cautious, albeit a somewhat strange, homo sapiens sapiens while in Thailand and elsewhere. Have we heard the last of the "frightened rabbit" from you now? It (the metaphor) is getting a bit worn and tattered, doncha think?

I like to bring it out when guys who don't ride motorbikes claim to know better than those who ride thousands of kilometres every year

14 hours ago, Lloydyboy said:

quote “Four days of the “7 dangerous days” have so far seen 208 deaths

quote “But really the other 358 days are only slight & I mean very slightly less dangerous as they average 60 dead on any given day

so 4 days x 60 = 240, so the death rate is actually LOWER than average, maybe the advertising campaign is working

Or the fact that on many main road traffic speed is a bit lower because it's nose to tail at 20kph. Fewer chances to find places to floor it most of the time.

20 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Yeah, it probably was some kind of drunken race even if they were only trying to beat their personal best. It's like a Le Mans race on my narrow soi every day. Usually it's motorbikes (often ridiculously loud ones) passing cars, but sometimes it's a high-performance car passing motorbikes. Never seen the RTP clock and pursue a speeder or loud motorbike. They sometimes come around to write tickets for illegal parking, though.

The truth I dont think the cops can catch these guys There bikes and cars are to slow Ever seen what the coppers ride ?They would be flat out beating a scooter. If there was one smart cop in Thailand all they have to do is to stand at the turnoff into my villiage and book all the drivers who do a right turn when the sign clearly says no right turn and then they proceed up the wrong side of the road. You prob get a 100 cars a day doing that. Oops that would require work from The RTP Silly man dont mention that again 

• Haha 1