British man killed by ‘faulty’ firework in Pattaya

webfact

1 hour ago, ebean001 said:

why do so many think this problem is only a Thailand problem Here is a USA number you can chew on...In 2017 there were 12,900 people ended up in hospital emergency rooms with injuries from fireworks. repeat...12,900. Many also died. I am sure the rest of the world had similar numbers. I am also sure they did not try to find the sellers.

people can't bash Thais or Thailand though as its u.s.a

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

fireworks are illegal? Whod have known! Local shops where i am were selling all night. 

I used leftover 2yr old fireworks last night and was a little hesitant but thankfully i didnt blow myself apart.

Lucky this time....maybe not the next time tho'

41 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Some people never grow up - at least he went out with a bang...

I am glad it was you who posted what I am sure many thought, despite the tragedy.

Wonder how they came to the conclusion it was "faulty".

• Confused 1

Years ago in Pattaya a group of friends and myself were at a bar on Soi 8..... Opposite the Soi in another Bar was another 'Farang' who was 'stumbling drunk' and he was lighting  '50-packs' of small firecrackers then throwing them out into the Soi as groups walked by...  Watching him for a while (OUR GROUP) and 'not liking' his actions..... OUR WHOLE GROUP as well as many others were treated to a 'HAPPY ENDING" when that drunk guy didn't throw his pack soon enough and and they (all 50) went off in his hand.... It was a laff for us all and many 'clapped and cheered'....

It IS a 'Fond Memory' for ME... And one of the few times that I have witnessed................. 'WHAT GOES AROUND -- COMES AROUND'.....    cheers ........

• Like 2

very sad.

possibly excessive alcohol at work.

he is of the generation to know the 'firework code' and have seen the publicity about firework safety which was common in the uk when this age group were children. i've never forgotten it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

So it is illegal to buy fireworks in Thailand. So those these shops all export them which would not be illegal?

Not all fireworks are illegal! Neither all shops selling them!

Shops must have a license issued by the local District Office to sell fireworks,

and they are restricted in what types of fireworks they may sell.

Selling large fireworks direct to tourists or public is completely illegal,

but if you are caught you, not the vendor, will suffer the legal consequences.

(but I don't know where "large" starts...?)

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Geeze, I wouldn't have thought that would have killed someone.

Shouldn't be letting them off in the small soi.

IMG_20200101_072617.jpg

IMG_20200101_072654.jpg

IMG_20191231_073942.jpg

...and they whinge and moan because they have no money...geez!

Some 30 years ago a faulty firework rocketed very close to my eyes, i could have easily lost an eye, since then, i've never been too close to that stuff.

Bad luck for the English man, sometimes s**t happens.

RIP