British man killed by ‘faulty’ firework in Pattaya

webfact

Quote:-

"the firework, the sale of which is illegal in Thailand"

OH REALLY!!

Plenty on sale in our local "Walking Street" market here in rural Issan for families to enjoy the start of 2020 (2563).

RIP fellow Brit but trying to ignite such a horrendous looking monster for a third time - oh dear!!

6 hours ago, ebean001 said:

why do so many think this problem is only a Thailand problem Here is a USA number you can chew on...In 2017 there were 12,900 people ended up in hospital emergency rooms with injuries from fireworks. repeat...12,900. Many also died. I am sure the rest of the world had similar numbers. I am also sure they did not try to find the sellers.

The fireworks in the USA may not have been illegal.

Few months back Mrs.Trans brought home a big firework, time came to light it, stood it in a heavy china pot in case it fell over out on the drive, lit the fuse, turned around to walk away, a split second, it exploded, the pot became shrapnel, a piece took a lump out of my elbow.

I was very lucky, and now, no more fireworks. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote:-

"the firework, the sale of which is illegal in Thailand"

OH REALLY!!

Plenty on sale in our local "Walking Street" market here in rural Issan for families to enjoy the start of 2020 (2563).

RIP fellow Brit but trying to ignite such a horrendous looking monster for a third time - oh dear!!

Illegal...

And since when has police or a gov official walked round an Isaan market looking for naughty stuff..????....????

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rawnthai said:

Fireworks are illegal in Thailand but can be bought 1000’s of shops throughout Thailand. Not back room sale, just right the shelf.  Great work law enforcers!

On NYE individual sellers roam the main roads and sois where the bars are. Always plenty of takers. No-one sells fireworks today so finding the one from last night would be nigh on impossible. Apart from which, the buyer must bear full responsibility. RIP.

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Illegal...

And since when has police or a gov official walked round an Isaan market looking for naughty stuff..????....????

Never, and never will!! If illegal, why do Buddhist temples (certainly here in Issan) ignite 9 fireworks into the sky which explode to scare off evil spirits before the pyre is ignited??

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:
7 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said they suspect the firework, the sale of which is illegal in Thailand, was faulty and this was the reason it did not go off as intended,

So I hope police will be following up the sale of such an illegal firework, and a prosecution of a shop owner will soon follow?

I suspect it'll be next to impossible for BIB to track down the last person to sell that explosive.  Besides, wasn't the seller

6 hours ago, neeray said:

Watch for: Committee (kind of like a task force) being formed by PM to study sales and use of fireworks in Thailand. Appoints himself as "chair person" citing his extensive background with explosive devices (and situations).

Sounds similar to the charade in the US following most mass shootings .

9 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Never, and never will!! If illegal, why do Buddhist temples (certainly here in Issan) ignite 9 fireworks into the sky which explode to scare off evil spirits before the pyre is ignited??

Because they can.................????

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

Never go back to a firework once youve tried to light it, is a basic rule which everyone should know

Also,  use an incense stick, not a lighter. Distance is important. Hold at arm's length and be prepared to get away. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Given he's from the UK he will have had the 'Firework Code' drummed into him when he was a kid. Looks like he didn't follow it. There is a tremendous amount of energy in those big fireworks.

I would assume that the UK would be the same as most other countries and fireworks that big are just not available to the public so any 'firework code' would have been mostly irrelevant. My wife advises me that these sort of bombs are to be set up well away from buildings and people and cannot be freestanding and must be supported in case they fall over under detonation. She also advises that the fuses can burn as long as two minutes before firing and it is still burning inside the case so to the novice, it would appear to have gone out. I am not sure if there are any warnings on the colorful packaging to this effect but despite being freely available around the time of holiday celebrations, they are illegal.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

We buy also at a local shop, we didn't know its illegal?

But wow, how unlucky this guy to lose his life at newyears night In Pattaya's walking street in thailand..

No luck involved at all .

He acted recklessly and the only luck involved was that he didnt take anyone else with him  .

Should not be letting off fireworks in the middle of a bust street , let alone a firework the size of a bomb .

Could well have killed or maimed some passers by .

I wonder whether that guy was a poster here on TV ?

I just hope that this wasnt a deliberate act as it  happened just after Yinn got named TV POTY

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No luck involved at all .

He acted recklessly and the only luck involved was that he didnt take anyone else with him  .

Should not be letting off fireworks in the middle of a bust street , let alone a firework the size of a bomb .

Could well have killed or maimed some passers by .

I wonder whether that guy was a poster here on TV ?

I just hope that this wasnt a deliberate act as it  happened just after Yinn got named TV POTY

Yes it was reckless and he paid the ultimate price.

I have seen those other, countless reckless farangs that conflate getting away with stuff in LOS through good luck and subscribing to the 'everyone else does it' mantra of contempt wrought of familiarity. You know, the guy in wet flip flops fixing an electric water pump, the drunk car drivers that forget to turn their lights on or the wrong way down the main road scooter drivers. How about the unlicensed and dangerous ones without helmets on high-powered bikes that kill and maim themselves and others with much more frequency than a happy drunk guy with an easily purchased bomb could ever imagine doing.

Unlike yourself, Gary was not of the mindset to be a TV member as his life was too chock-full of real-life excitement to waste time pontificating to anonymous people on the internet about how stupid and irresponsible our fellow man can be. Even the best and brightest ones.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes it was reckless and he paid the ultimate price.

I have seen those other, countless reckless farangs that conflate getting away with stuff in LOS through good luck and subscribing to the 'everyone else does it' mantra of contempt wrought of familiarity. You know, the guy in wet flip flops fixing an electric water pump, the drunk car drivers that forget to turn their lights on or the wrong way down the main road scooter drivers. How about the unlicensed and dangerous ones without helmets on high-powered bikes that kill and maim themselves and others with much more frequency than a happy drunk guy with an easily purchased bomb could ever imagine doing.

Unlike yourself, Gary was not of the mindset to be a TV member as his life was too chock-full of real-life excitement to waste time pontificating to anonymous people on the internet about how stupid and irresponsible our fellow man can be. Even the best and brightest ones.

Im  glad  I  lead a  dull and hopefully  long life, how this would  all be read if others  had also been killed  injured.

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

How do you know that Gary wasnt a member of TV ?

Did you know him personally ?

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

How do you know that Gary wasnt a member of TV ?

Did you know him personally ?

Maybe you haven't read the whole thread. Like this ass clown.

3 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

Probably drunk and in a festive spirit with his favorite bar girl, one bang and he's gone, GREAT WAY TO GO. Lucky guy.

Never mind.

Edited by NanLaew

25 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I do think you should had omitted the word 'smart'...  RIP dude, I hope you enjoyed your stay.

No. We knew Gary well and he was very smart. However, I never suggested that he was mindful of not taking excessive risks or possessing profound concern for the well being of anonymous passers-by like so many members here suddenly claim to be.

But maybe English language isn't your forte?