Subsidizing the massage lady and others

Brer

It’s New Year’s Day and many Thais have spent quite a bit of money over the festive days.

I woke up this morning and walked outside with my coffee to find two Thai guys know by me just sitting outside my gate. I noticed that the empty Chang bottles from last nights celebrations had been packed back into the carton they came from, along with whiskey and soda bottles and others also tidied up, immediately these guys ask for some whiskey. 

I replied mot laeo, then they asked for money for whiskey as they tried to show they had tidied up for me, I indicated no money. When you want someone to do some tidy up jobs around the place for a couple of hours I can never get someone, either to lazy or they have money, now they need something let’s go see the farang.

Later about 8.30 this morning the local massage lady turns up unannounced wanting to massage my wife, obviously she was out of money I thought, I told the wife to tell her to F off, no the wife complied, an hour later the wife hit me for 200 baht for the old slapper massage lady, who then offered to massage me too. I declined the price then got discounted to 100baht, again I declined then I heard words that sounded like cheap Charlie falang.

Well stuff you darling I am not going to subsidise your drinking habits or others who aren’t family.

These people do nothing for me why the f ing hell am I going to help you get drunk at my expense.

I love Thailand though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

I'll bet you the life of the party.

Yep it was a great party, but f the whiskey swilling low life’s who are continually drunk day in day out who think the farang is their salvation.

Its a problem Thai families won’t address, whoops I forgot their Buddhists.

Just now, Brer said:

Ha ha and your right Issan

Nong Khai is my favourite place on the planet, mainly because the people are the best.

Suggest that you should have spread a little love amongst the locals on New Years Day. You would have had it returned 10 fold. Your wife knows that but clearly you don't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Need hi res pics of said massage girl!  Do we call you Charles?

About 30 years ago I reckon she would have been hot.

Only 100baht for a massage, imagine what something else would cost.

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nothing wrong with a little bit of generosity around the holidays. Goes a long way towards opening the heart, and creating good feelings, all the way around. Not like we are talking about real money. 200 baht?

I guess my question would be -- would the drunken locals reciprocate if the OP and his wife were in some kind of simple need?

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I guess my question would be -- would the drunken locals reciprocate if the OP and his wife were in some kind of simple need?

Probably not. But maybe. Regardless, this is about us, not them. An open heart is a beautiful thing. It is not like we are talking about real money here. 

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Probably not. But maybe. Regardless, this is about us, not them. An open heart is a beautiful thing. It is not like we are talking about real money here. 

I usually give some small New Year gifts to some Thais that we interact with regularly in our home life... I don't give handouts to folks we never interact with who show up randomly on New Year's morning.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I usually give some small New Year gifts to some Thais that we interact with regularly in our home life... I don't give handouts to folks we never interact with who show up randomly on New Year's morning.

The post was about a women, that they use regularly for massage, correct? This is not a random person showing up at their house. It is a small gesture of kindness, towards a woman who works hard doing massage. What is the big deal about that? 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Brer said:

Yep it was a great party, but f the whiskey swilling low life’s who are continually drunk day in day out who think the farang is their salvation.

Its a problem Thai families won’t address, whoops I forgot their Buddhists.

Brer aka the Grinch that Stole Hogmanay.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The post was about a women, that they use regularly for massage, correct? This is not a random person showing up at their house. It is a small gesture of kindness, towards a woman who works hard doing massage. What is the big deal about that? 

Seems like you missed this main part of the OP's post:

I woke up this morning and walked outside with my coffee to find two Thai guys know by me just sitting outside my gate. I noticed that the empty Chang bottles from last nights celebrations had been packed back into the carton they came from, along with whiskey and soda bottles and others also tidied up, immediately these guys ask for some whiskey. 

I replied mot laeo, then they asked for money for whiskey as they tried to show they had tidied up for me, I indicated no money. When you want someone to do some tidy up jobs around the place for a couple of hours I can never get someone, either to lazy or they have money, now they need something let’s go see the farang.

44 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nothing wrong with a little bit of generosity around the holidays. Goes a long way towards opening the heart, and creating good feelings, all the way around. Not like we are talking about real money. 200 baht?

Your missing the pont...just because my mate in UK earnt 3 times my salary.....I didnt expect him to pick up the tab every time we went out....

I gave up finding a logical explanation about things which happen in Thailand a long time ago. It makes life easier not to search for logic where no logic exist.

In situations like you describe it depends on my mood how I react. I guess sometimes I say something like "mai me satang" and maybe sometimes I "help" them with whatever they want. 1st because a hundred baht less im my pocket does not really make a difference. And 2nd because I am sure they don't like it if we don't "help" them and they remember that farang who does not help them.

Is it fair? No. Can we change it? No. So I guess we have to live with it and try to make the best out of the situation.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Being the richest in a very poor area, living amongst the drunks, doesn't sound very attractive too me at all.

Well, having spent 2 weeks in a little Isaan village some years ago, i have to say that most of the times, the folks looked in good mood, and the majority were not alcohol abusers, but then, i would not choose to live there forever.

Different people, different taste, i guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Was a happy ending included in the 100 Baht ?

Sounds to me as if the O/P wouldn't know what a 'happy ending' means.

But happy new year to one and all anyway. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

A small bottle Lao Kao is even cheaper, cheap Charley. 

1 hour ago, baansgr said:
2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Your missing the pont...just because my mate in UK earnt 3 times my salary.....I didnt expect him to pick up the tab every time we went out....

You may be missing the point. Although the UK isn't in Isaan, the equivalent of a 'fiver' won't go amiss if and when you feel charitable back home either.