What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

''Idiocracy'' this oldie (2004) has been recommended to me many times. finally watched it last night. Idiotically funny, with spot on observations that are applicable today - and it doesnt drag on, at 80 minutes. Which is to say why one film critic wrote:

'The film was shelved good and hard after its initial release, and it's not difficult to see why. It's just a little too close to genuine reality'

(expecially when one sees how the White House gets protrayed.

Interesting to read from the producer of the tv series ''Braindead'' (which protrays the shallow nuttiness of Washington DC) that it was pulled by NBC after one season, for much the same reason. 

No use letting people know that the lunatics are running the asylum.

BRAINDEAD 444ca2dc.jpg

Edited by paddypower
add photo

29 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not that excellent. IMDB gives it a 6.9.

IMDB reflects viewers ratings. and that's ok for me. movie reviewers whose tastes I like include some of the team at RobertEbert.com, Richard Roeper, GlobeMail, Rolling Stone . Just sayin'

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Watched a movie last night from 2010 called, "The Way Back" and thought it was good (IMDB 7.3 rating). Was actually looking for one of the same name just released, so will watch that tonight!!

You always dig up some good "oldies". Of a similar genre As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me (2001) is also excellent.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:35 PM, mtls2005 said:

Thought Da 5 Bloods was amazing. Much of it was filmed here, in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. The last frames show the entire Thai crew.

Delroy Lindo should get an Oscar nomination. Clark Peters a supporting nod.

Watched it & didn't find it enjoyable at all (also too long at 2.5 hours) though I do take your point that Delroy Lindo did an awesome acting job. 

Didn't see anything of Bangkok in there (all the city scenes looked like they were in HCM) & the CM parts were jungle so unrecognisable as such... I wouldn't watch it for the Thailand link. 

• Like 2

Thought I'd watch "Manhunter" from 1986 again, hard to understand the 7.2 IMDB rating it gets, as it's slow, the acting is mediocre, very overrated IMO. Yet when I first saw it, before the other Hannibal movies were made, I thought it was great. Just shows how tastes change.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Thought I'd watch "Manhunter" from 1986 again, hard to understand the 7.2 IMDB rating it gets, as it's slow, the acting is mediocre, very overrated IMO. Yet when I first saw it, before the other Hannibal movies were made, I thought it was great. Just shows how tastes change.

Maybe tastes change.

I just think that most movies or shows don't age well.

• Like 1

Just now, bert bloggs said:

Just watched the first part of a 3 parter "the Salisbury poisonings " enjoying it ,all parts on lime.

Part one was a bit of an eye opener this morning, not least because I've sat on that very bench several times with my family while visiting relatives there a few months earlier! ????

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Part one was a bit of an eye opener this morning, not least because I've sat on that very bench several times with my family while visiting relatives there a few months earlier! ????

to be honest although i knew about the poisonings i never realized how big the threat was ,i just thought it was those two involved. 

14 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

to be honest although i knew about the poisonings i never realized how big the threat was ,i just thought it was those two involved. 

Salisbury/Wilts/New Forest has lost two tourist seasons in four years.

Watched a few episodes of the two black cops on "Bulletproof". Entertaining and action packed so I may watch more,,,,,,,hard to believe this is an accurate depiction of Brit police procedure though based on other series I have watched. 

Also found a new series from the US called "Hightown". First episodes will have me back for more.

Murder in the Car Park

New 3 part series.
Episode 1 available now on  Lime.

Summary: The brutal axe murder of private investigator Daniel Morgan has remained unsolved since he died in March 1987. In this new series we gain an unprecedented insight into the multimillion-pound, 33-year investigation that traced Morgan’s killing from the ranks of the London Met to the tabloid press.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2020 at 11:11 AM, giddyup said:

Not that excellent. IMDB gives it a 6.9.

A 6.9 is very good. I will usually consider anything over a 5.0, if the story sounds interesting. It is a weighted scale for the most part. Very little is above an 8.0, which means utterly remarkable on many levels. However, I hear the flashbacks are terrible, as little effort is made to render a 70 year old to be a 20 year old. And as we all know Lee is extremely spotty. Prior to Black Kkklansman, you have to go all the way back to 2008, for a decent film like Miracle at St. Anna. Most of his good work is behind him, much like Oliver Stone, Scorcese, Ridley Scott, and many others, who only have a certain number of good films within them. Eastwood is the exception to that. He keeps making great work!

Edited by spidermike007

On 6/14/2020 at 11:54 AM, xylophone said:

Watched a movie last night from 2010 called, "The Way Back" and thought it was good (IMDB 7.3 rating). Was actually looking for one of the same name just released, so will watch that tonight!!

That was an outstanding film. I still remember it vividly, and want to watch it again soon. Should have been closer to an 8.0, but was probably a bit too realistic for the softies, and maybe a bit too long for the millennials.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

A 6.9 is very good. I will usually consider anything over a 5.0, if the story sounds interesting. It is a weighted scale for the most part. Very little is above an 8.0, which means utterly remarkable on many levels. However, I hear the flashbacks are terrible, as little effort is made to render a 70 year old to be a 20 year old. And as we all know Lee is extremely spotty. Prior to Black Kkklansman, you have to go all the way back to 2008, for a decent film like Miracle at St. Anna. Most of his good work is behind him, much like Oliver Stone, Scorcese, Ridley Scott, and many others, who only have a certain number of good films within them. Eastwood is the exception to that. He keeps making great work!

Reviews aren't the thing thing I look at.

But if something keeps getting awful reviews, like Capone, I don't bother.

As far as IMDB goes, 7.00 is pretty much a par score for a decent movie IMO.