Why are more & more expats leaving Thailand?

RyanWalker

11 hours ago, fruitman said:

Also i don't like the chinese or indians, i have nothing in common with them. And there are less westerners now to talk to. Thai don't speak english, most shops try to overcharge me...i'm just done with it.

You don't have anything common with the Thai either so I am surprised why you came to Thailand in the first place. 

How many of these elements do you have in common with the Thai?

1. Religion - Buddhism

2. Race - East Asian

3. Language - Thai

4. Food - Asian food

5. Culture - Indic culture

zero....

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You don't have anything common with the Thai either so I am surprised why you came to Thailand in the first place. 

How many of these elements do you have in common with the Thai?

I didn't have much in common with most Americans in the USA either. Commonality is overrated????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've lived/visited extensively in many countries and am able to live just about anywhere I want.

Most places have deteriorated from a cost/quality of life perspective. 

Governments the world over are exerting more control and the results with few exceptions are not much good. 

Here they've chased away many foreigners, I don't see how this has helped anything. Certainly it has reduced the velocity of transactions, particularly at the grass roots level. It's also damaged tourism enormously. On the other hand its given a boost for Cambodia and Vietnam, which will help some people there.

When I try to average everything out - I don't come to the conclusion that comparatively Thailand is that bad - but I can say that it used to be a lot easier and more enjoyable.

I'm content with my set up here - which would cost double or triple in many countries and in others would not be possible at all. 

I'm hopeful that one day authorities adopt a more relaxed approach and realise that the North Korean direction isn't going to work for anyone.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

This is mainly due to a large input from PRC in recent years. Something that Thailand is dipping a toe into.

Be careful who you get into bed with. It won't end well.

This is complicated.

China's influence was on a rise in SEA - but has collapsed dramatically.

Cambodia has adopted a fairly easy going attitude for long term expats, it is cheap and much of it is a bit nasty - but the local economy is booming. 

Vietnam - the grass roots opposition to China is visceral.  

Thailand - on the one hand they have have given a green light to China on trade in exchange for investment. On the other hand they have not ratified the CRS/OECD agreements which firmly align them wit the US on international tax treaties - an instance in which they have play their hand most skilfully.    

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Because they have an unfriendly Embassy in Thailand ? :unsure:

Seems to be specific to US, UK & AU only.

Too early for exact statistics, but from my consulate the number

of French living in Thailand increased in 2019, as it does every year.

Yes, because France has become an uncontrollable country, the French flee the tyranny of Macron, tax hell, invasion Muslims, and more.... in many countries Asia,  another countries Europe, America and...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

These are the main reasons people are leaving in descending order.

1. They don't have the financial requirements of the visa as most of them have been declaring false affidavits in the past (Americans, British, Australians). If this is extended to Canadians, French , then more and more will leave. I still see quite a lot of Canadians and French living here.

2. Immigration getting tougher by refusing entry to long-term stayers doing border/visa runs to circumvent rule #1.

3. Baht is getting stronger and things are getting more expensive in Thailand

4. Insurance requirement isn't really a problem because one can always switch to O visa, it becomes a problem only when it covers O visa in the future. At that time more people will leave.

5. Tm30 reporting on top of 90 days reporting. 

Agree but would add the air pollution issue. The financial issue is true but some of that was due to varying enforcement at different immigration offices. That was true also of the TM-30 issue which seems to have been straightened out (only new report after returning from abroad, not required for out of province overnight travel).

• Like 1

Saddened that we cannot see reliable statistical support from exit interviews (reason for long stayers leaving), from source of unpaid medical bills (I think requiring short time tourists being required to have medical insurance is warranted). Otherwise we are just speculating without documentation supporting fact.

17 hours ago, RyanWalker said:

Yeah I am in the North of China. Much cheaper here. For 100bht you can buy a huge bag full of fresh vegetables. General cost of living much much cheaper. 100bht in Bkk has zero value

I love Chinese women but having visited several times, and knowing the government, I'd never live there. Overcrowded, gov't surveillance, polluted, bad food (trips to the bathroom every time), noisy and everything is heavily censored. Have to play a lot of anti-Great Firewall games just to read my NY Times. I'd settle for a gf in the Philippines or Chiang Mai (and disappear every burn season). Probably the latter, because the internet in the Philippines is a joke. I had a serious gf in Saigon too--Vietnam might be the best bet and also with the most beautiful women.

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

I came to Thailand 21 years ago.At that time Thailand was a <deleted>hole,but a cheap <deleted>hole.Police and immigration didn't care to much about foreigner and Thai people in general were friendly.The first 2 years I had to go out every 29 days(Aranyaprathet),it was a pain in the ...,but manageable.Health wasn't an issue at that time.It was cheap to buy food at big c,tesco and carrefour(except foreign stuff like cheese or wine)

Now it is 2020 and Thailand is still a <deleted>hole,but an expensive <deleted>hole,and Thai people are not that friendly anymore.Police and immigration hunting for foreigner,and extending my Non O visa is getting every year a bit more difficult,still manageable,but the overall feeling changed.It seems like they want foreigner from western countries out.Everytime I go to immigration I feel like a criminal.Last December I had to change from retirement to marriage extension.The whole process took 4 weeks and tons of documents and copies.On top immigration came to our house,I had to ask both of my neighbors to take a day off so immigration could interview them.I felt very embarrassed to bother them and more embarrassed immigration police came to our village and house.What will be next?In October I was a few days in Brisbane Australia and I loved it over there.People are super friendly,they say thank you,they say good morning,they open doors for you and waiting until u in or outside.It was clean allover the city.Cheese,wine and all other stuff what a foreigner needs for a standard life is 50% cheaper.Goldcoast beaches are clean,no plastic sh..,no dogs,etc.

Those last 3-4 months made me thinking it's time to leave Thailand.Where to go?Cambodia is in Chinese hands and not that clean and Hun Sen.Laos has no beach,Phili,I didn't feel safe there,besides that they have Duterte,Malaysia and Indonesia are muslim countries.Vietnam maybe ok for now, but the Chinese coming,nothing much left in Southeast Asia.Bulgaria to cold in Winter and to much mafia,Croatia to cold in winter,Turkey has Erdogan,Greece is full of Immigrants,Cyprus is to expensive,south Italy maybe ok,Spain and Portugal probably best for an EU citizen.So maybe it will be Spain,but Thai wife has a good job here and family,and getting a long term visa for a Thai is also not that easy.Then my daughter,she still study here

Even if I want to leave it's not that easy

Reasons to leave are 

1.Uncertainty about visa rules,health insurance requirements, and Thai government(Army)

2. Overall feeling in Thailand

3. Pollution and dirty beaches

4. As older I get as more I hate the hot and humid weather

5. I start to hate that loosing face culture and Thai behavior  in general

6.Many more small things

It is always more difficult when you cannot afford a retirement extension  - that tends to cloud one's judgement with negativity.

• Like 2