Single entry O visa can be extended?

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Why not?  The only purpose of the re-entry permit is to keep the permission to stay granted from your expired Visa, alive.  Perfectly possible for any Visa that grants you a permission to stay after use/expiry of that Visa.

I am not discussing a single-entry O visa on retirement which has been extended to permission to stay. I am only concerned with a standalone single entry O visa which hasn't been converted to anything.

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

I am not discussing a single-entry O visa on retirement which has been extended to permission to stay. I am only concerned with a standalone single entry O visa which hasn't been converted to anything.

Yes, and that's what I responded to.  Re-entry permits aren't limited to expired Multi-Entry Visa, but can also be used to extend the permission to stay from a Single-Entry Visa (which is voided on entry).

18 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, and that's what I responded to.  Re-entry permits aren't limited to expired Multi-Entry Visa, but can also be used to extend the permission to stay from a Single-Entry Visa (which is voided on entry).

I am not sure why you are still referring to extending permission to stay. I am not concerned or interested in extending permissions to stay, solely with the single-entry standalone visa, which I am still dubious that one can get a re-entry permit. However if someone else can confirm that it can be done, I will be more than happy.

Edited by SheungWan

12 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I am not sure why you are still referring to extending permission to stay. I am not concerned or interested in extending permissions to stay, solely with the single-entry standalone visa, which I am still dubious that one can get a re-entry permit. However if someone else can confirm that it can be done, I will be more than happy.

When you enter with a non o you will be given 90 day permission of stay. The visa is done. If you wish to exit los and return before that permission of stay expired you need to purchase reentry permit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Sorry, my bad choice of words > I meant

Re-entry permits aren't limited to expired Multi-Entry Visa, but can also be used to keep the permission to stay alive from a Single-Entry Visa (which is voided on entry).

I'm bit surprised this thread run 3 pages.

In OP....NO O cannot be extended.

Thinking OP had no original plan to obtain couple of non o per year along with visa exempt border entries with extensions.

Rather than try for 2 setv with extensions. The plan is very transparent.

Best obtain an METV. 

No clever path really trying with repeat non o based on retirement with zero intention of applying for 12 month extension of stay. Bit same to use ed visa at same time asking about schools with no attendance requirements. 

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm bit surprised this thread run 3 pages.

In OP....NO O cannot be extended.

Thinking OP had no original plan to obtain couple of non o per year along with visa exempt border entries with extensions.

Rather than try for 2 setv with extensions. The plan is very transparent.

Best obtain an METV. 

No clever path really trying with repeat non o based on retirement with zero intention of applying for 12 month extension of stay. Bit same to use ed visa at same time asking about schools with no attendance requirements.

I don't think I am going to be playing around with Ed Visas any time soon. Re METV, more messing around financial reporting than the non-Imm O visa on retirement. Maybe in the future the O becomes a problem to apply for and METV becomes my default. As for using a couple of non-imm O visas plus add-ons, the question is not about whether clever or transparent but rather if practical. If it fits and it works, that is what I am focused on. This year, due to personal circumstances I will just hope to use 2 non-Imm O visas. Next winter I will probably try to make a 4 or 5 month trip, subject of course to any further government changes and forum feedback experiences.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I am not aware that it is possible to get a re-entry permit on a single entry non-imm O visa on retirement.

You can get a Re-Entry Permit on The Permission to Stay... which in this case would be for the remainder of the 90 days. 

• Like 1