Single entry O visa can be extended?

20 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

1. With single entry O visa, can this be extended beyond 90 days with a 30 day extension?

No.

If you’re the spouse or parent of a Thai you can extend by 60 days (1,900 baht).

2. Can the above be followed by a border run for another 30 days?

Yes. That can be extended by 30 days if required.

3. Would immigration be happy with the above routine twice a year?

Probably. You are limited to two land border runs (visa exempt entries) per calendar year (Jan-Dec).

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

No.

If you’re the spouse or parent of a Thai you can extend by 60 days (1,900 baht).

Yes. That can be extended by 30 days if required.

Probably. You are limited to two land border runs (visa exempt entries) per calendar year (Jan-Dec).

I am considering single entry O based on retirement, so...... based on your response, the max period possible is 4 months per trip (90+30) and the 30 requiring a border run * 2 trips per year, so max of ~8 months in total.

.......Otherwise jump to extension to stay routine.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

I am considering single entry O based on retirement, so...... based on your response, the max period possible is 4 months per trip (90+30) and the 30 requiring a border run * 2 trips per year, so max of ~8 months in total.

I have often wondered about this plan.

Clearly it's obvious that the non o for retirement was never the true intention. Just a means to get extra 30. So instead of setv 60 plus extend by 30 gives you 90.

I thought that non o based on retirement cannot be extended. So you do your border run at 90. Same as setv with extension.

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have often wondered about this plan.

Clearly it's obvious that the non o for retirement was never the true intention. Just a means to get extra 30. So instead of setv 60 plus extend by 30 gives you 90.

I thought that non o based on retirement cannot be extended. So you do your border run at 90. Same as setv with extension.

When on a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa you can apply in last month of its validity for a 1-year extension of stay.  When you acquired the 90-day Non Imm O in Thailand, you need to apply for the extension at the same local IO you get the 90-day Non Imm O.

• Like 2

you can do a 90 day entry on a non imm 'O' visa ( no extension allowed) and then a border run 30 Visa exempt entry + a 30 day extension = 150 days, where were yo thinking of getting the 'O' visa from 2 times a year

all the above is based on a non married to Thai and no Thai children

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

When on a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa you can apply in last month of its validity for a 1-year extension of stay.  When you acquired the 90-day Non Imm O in Thailand, you need to apply for the extension at the same local IO you get the 90-day Non Imm O.

Yes correct however the OP was asking about extension (30 day) to his non o. The same way you can extend a setv or visa expert by 30 days. He cannot do this to non o based on retirement. 

• Thanks 1

I don't understand what would be the benefit of not applying for a 1-year extension of stay when you already have a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa. 

Note: It cannot be the financials, as you already had to prove them to get the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa in the first place. 

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

you can do a 90 day entry on a non imm 'O' visa ( no extension allowed) and then a border run 30 Visa exempt entry + a 30 day extension = 150 days, where were yo thinking of getting the 'O' visa from 2 times a year

all the above is based on a non married to Thai and no Thai children

The above seems very good to me. 90 + 60 (30+30). Splitting a 5 month trip into one in and out almost the same as having the multi-entry O visa, but with a little more hassle.

PS I don't see why the formula doesn't also work for those having non-imm O based on retirement?

Downsides? 1. Coming back for the first leg of the +60 without a visa. Not as comfortable as having a visa. And 2. Having to visit the immigration office for the +60 (part 2) 30 day extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The above seems very good to me. 90 + 60 (30+30). Splitting a 5 month trip into one in and out almost the same as having the multi-entry O visa, but with a little more hassle.

PS I don't see why the formula doesn't also work for those having non-imm O based on retirement?

Downsides? 1. Coming back for the first leg of the +60 without a visa. Not as comfortable as having a visa. And 2. Having to visit the immigration office for the +60 (part 2) 30 day extension.

It is not mentioned in the requirements for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, but I remember reading on the Forum that it was also required (maybe expected is a better word here), that you would apply for a 1-year extension of stay of that 90-day Non Imm O Visa once it was granted.

So for sure the plan would work first time.  But I am not sure if the plan would fly, if you simply applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa and on expiry made use of VisaExempt or TouristVisa entries, and then simply repeated  the process again.  When that would be possible, it would indeed allow to stay long-term in Thailand without the need for financials on a thai bank-account.

@ubonjoe can you shine your light on this one please?

13 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

So for sure the plan would work first time.  But I am not sure if the plan would fly, if you simply applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa and on expiry made use of VisaExempt or TouristVisa entries, and then simply repeated  the process again.  When that would be possible, it would indeed allow to stay long-term in Thailand without the need for financials on a thai bank-account.

I see no reason for it to be a problem. I am sure the embassy would issue another non-o visa. When multiple entry non-o visas were available in London people were doing them year after year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I see no reason for it to be a problem. I am sure the embassy would issue another non-o visa. When multiple entry non-o visas were available in London people were doing them year after year.

Thanks for response, but would it be possible to do this in Thailand by applying for a Non Imm O Visa at your local IO, and not extending but then doing VisaExempt and TouristVisas entries (and extensions), and then repeating the whole process.

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for response, but would it be possible to do this in Thailand by applying for a Non Imm O Visa at your local IO, and not extending but then doing VisaExempt and TouristVisas entries (and extensions), and then repeating the whole process.

That is all together different than applying at a embassy or consulate. Immigration only issues them based upon qualifying for a extension stay.

• Thanks 1

Viable? On a single non-Imm O visa entry (retirement) could be extended to a total of 7 months?

O visa 90 days + (border run1 30 days + extension1 30 days) + (border run2 30 days + extension2 30 days)

Yes?

Could also follow that up with O visa2 (no border runs) for a grand total of 10 months inside one year? Flies OK or Immigration not happy?/Tempting fate?

Edited by SheungWan

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

It is not mentioned in the requirements for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, but I remember reading on the Forum that it was also required (maybe expected is a better word here), that you would apply for a 1-year extension of stay of that 90-day Non Imm O Visa once it was granted.

So for sure the plan would work first time.  But I am not sure if the plan would fly, if you simply applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa and on expiry made use of VisaExempt or TouristVisa entries, and then simply repeated  the process again.  When that would be possible, it would indeed allow to stay long-term in Thailand without the need for financials on a thai bank-account.

@ubonjoe can you shine your light on this one please?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I can see there being no problem applying for 2 non-Imm O visas in a year with no add-ons. In total that would add up to 180 days. But if the first visa has been added on to by 30 day border runs and extensions to that, thus giving a total number of days well in excess of 180 days in a year if the second visa was granted, might this cause immigration at entry to refuse on the grounds of misuse towards long-term stay for which the O visa was not intended?

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

But if the first visa has been added on to by 30 day border runs and extensions to that, thus giving a total number of days well in excess of 180 days in a year if the second visa was granted, might this cause immigration at entry to refuse on the grounds of misuse towards long-term stay for which the O visa was not intended?

Yes, doing the scheme with 90-day Non Imm O Visa issued from your home-country would not be a problem.

And doing it with 90-day Non Imm O Visa applied for at your local IO in Thailand, would surely work first time.

But 2nd or 3rd time might be problematic as indeed such a Visa - when issued in Thailand - is meant to be followed by an application for extension of stay.  And if you are not doing that (to dodge the financial requirements), that might be considered misuse of the Visa and a ground for denying your application.

On 1/5/2020 at 11:53 AM, Peter Denis said:

Yes, doing the scheme with 90-day Non Imm O Visa issued from your home-country would not be a problem.

And doing it with 90-day Non Imm O Visa applied for at your local IO in Thailand, would surely work first time.

But 2nd or 3rd time might be problematic as indeed such a Visa - when issued in Thailand - is meant to be followed by an application for extension of stay.  And if you are not doing that (to dodge the financial requirements), that might be considered misuse of the Visa and a ground for denying your application.

I am only really considering possibilities for a non-imm O visa on retirement issued in home country. It looks like there is a pathway here then for those of us who have no intention to subsequently convert to a permission to stay, but rather obtain 2 non-imm O visas per year with the option of add-ons.

I am only really considering possibilities for a non-imm O visa on retirement issued in home country. It looks like there is a pathway here then for those of us who have no intention to subsequently convert to a permission to stay, but rather obtain 2 non-imm O visas per year with the option of add-ons.

Yes, that scheme should be possible, because majority of the time you would be staying in Thailand on the correct Visa (90-day Non Imm O retirement Visa issued by your home-country's thai embassy/consulate).

However, there are only 2 advantages for doing this as you have to go through the hassle of applying twice a year in your home-country for such a Visa:

1. An application in your home-country would only require evidence of receipt of state-pension;

2. Not having to deal with local thai IO for a yearly extension of stay.

And the financial argument would be only relevant for UK (and possibly Australian) citizens, since your embassies don't issue the income letters anymore that allow to stay long-term in Thailand without having to prove incoming funds on a thai bank-account.

Edited by Peter Denis

16 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, that scheme should be possible, because majority of the time you would be staying in Thailand on the correct Visa (90-day Non Imm O retirement Visa issued by your home-country's thai embassy/consulate).

However, there are only 2 advantages for doing this as you have to go through the hassle of applying twice a year in your home-country for such a Visa:

1. An application in your home-country would only require evidence of receipt of state-pension;

2. Not having to deal with local thai IO for a yearly extension of stay.

And the financial argument would be only relevant for UK (and possibly Australian) citizens, since your embassies don't issue the income letters anymore that allow to stay long-term in Thailand without having to prove incoming funds on a thai bank-account.

Quite frankly, if I am returning to my home country twice a year, then it is not really too much of a hassle applying two times for an O visa on retirement, particularly now I have worked my way once (eventually successfully) through the online application process. I will take that over the Thailand hassle associated with extension to stay. It also suits me in the future to be able to go out at the end of a 90 day period and then return on a 30 day entry plus 30 day extension, thus making a 5 month trip. Of course the extension guys do not have to leave the country during the year, but horses for courses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Quite frankly, if I am returning to my home country twice a year, then it is not really too much of a hassle applying two times for an O visa on retirement, particularly now I have worked my way once (eventually successfully) through the online application process. I will take that over the Thailand hassle associated with extension to stay. It also suits me in the future to be able to go out at the end of a 90 day period and then return on a 30 day entry plus 30 day extension, thus making a 5 month trip. Of course the extension guys do not have to leave the country during the year, but horses for courses.

Yes, if you are a UK (or Australian) citizen and you return to your home-country twice a year, that scheme is a very worthwhile option for staying long-term in Thailand without having to deal with local immigration issues (except the easy-peasy extension of your 30-day Exempt Visa and the re-entry permit when wanting to exit/re-enter Thailand during the 90-days of your Non Imm O Visa).  

On 1/7/2020 at 7:01 AM, SheungWan said:

it would depend on the country you are getting the 'O' from, UK now only allow family and state retirement age persons to apply for single entry 'O' visa, i think a 'O' visa entry + 2 x visa exempt with extensions may be possible, but to try the same thing again would be problematic

24 minutes ago, steve187 said:

it would depend on the country you are getting the 'O' from, UK now only allow family and state retirement age persons to apply for single entry 'O' visa, i think a 'O' visa entry + 2 x visa exempt with extensions may be possible, but to try the same thing again would be problematic

Just to add that Au do not issue non o based on retirement. Only provide non O-A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i think they are all going that way, immigration/MFA must want everyone to get a 'O''A'

Maybe that's their intention, but by imposing the health-insurance requirement they created the exact opposite reaction.

1. It's difficult now to apply for an OA Visa in your home-country, as many insurance-companies are not willing to sign the required Foreign Insurance Certificate (as it refers to thai legislation they are not familiar with), and it is near impossible to apply for a thai health-insurance policy from abroad (and lucky so as these are an expensive and totally worthless scam). 

Easy solution > cut the <deleted>, and enter Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa and then apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the IO of the place where you intend to stay long-term.

2. Only a retiree staying in Thailand on an extension of an OA Visa, and not married to a thai national, that is not aware that there is an easy and inexpensive way to dodge the now required thai-approved health-insurance scam, would subscribe to that bogus insurance.  All others would opt for a conversion to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, which when going for an extension of that Visa has exactly the same requirements/conditions as their present OA - retirement Visa extension.  The only difference being that in that case no health-insurance is required.

>> So making it difficult for application, and unattractive to remain on an OA for extension, is not exactly the strategy you would expect when the intent would be to get all retirees on an OA.

8 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, if you are a UK (or Australian) citizen and you return to your home-country twice a year, that scheme is a very worthwhile option for staying long-term in Thailand without having to deal with local immigration issues (except the easy-peasy extension of your 30-day Exempt Visa and the re-entry permit when wanting to exit/re-enter Thailand during the 90-days of your Non Imm O Visa).  

I am not aware that it is possible to get a re-entry permit on a single entry non-imm O visa on retirement.

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

I think we are going to have to wait for future reports of those hoping to work a 2 * (90+30+30) routine. As it stands no rules broken.

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I am not aware that it is possible to get a re-entry permit on a single entry non-imm O visa on retirement.

Why not?  The only purpose of the re-entry permit is to keep the permission to stay granted from your expired Visa, alive.  Perfectly possible for any Visa that grants you a permission to stay after use/expiry of that Visa.

• Like 1