Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)

JimmyJ

My o-a expire April 10. I have insurance to start on April 10 exactly . I am using the monthly income method so I plan to get the bank guarantee letter and the 12 months statement. I have monthly FTT since feb 2019 so I could go into chiang mai immigration As early as feb 25 ( Chiang mai allow 45 days in the past) but I am writing on this forum for advise due to this new insurance requirement. Any thoughts the best time to go in to apply ? Thanks 

5 hours ago, chuang said:

The farang is not taken advantage of...it;s a contractual agreement...to each his own...stop whining and fuming if people want to use an visa agent for one reason or other, so be it...grow up..

Contractual agreement to pay 6000 baht for something you can do yourself?  Obviously you're another one who helps feed into this system by agreeing to pay an agent an exorbitant fee on an annual basis making it look like it's the normal way to operate.

Because of people like you, others are not able to show up at normal business hours and get their visas processed in a reasonable amount of time.  You sound like the one who is whining and fuming.  My guess is you're not that happy about paying the agent fee and you're trying to defend it when you can not.

Anyway, I found a solution to the problem.  I moved and my annual extension now takes between 10 and 20 minutes to do.  No problems with immigration, pollution or the other negatives of CM.  But for people such as yourself, please stay where you are at as I'm sure your life is wonderful and just couldn't be better, once YOU grow up that is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimgilly said:

Contractual agreement to pay 6000 baht for something you can do yourself?  Obviously you're another one who helps feed into this system by agreeing to pay an agent an exorbitant fee on an annual basis making it look like it's the normal way to operate.

Because of people like you, others are not able to show up at normal business hours and get their visas processed in a reasonable amount of time.  You sound like the one who is whining and fuming.  My guess is you're not that happy about paying the agent fee and you're trying to defend it when you can not.

Anyway, I found a solution to the problem.  I moved and my annual extension now takes between 10 and 20 minutes to do.  No problems with immigration, pollution or the other negatives of CM.  But for people such as yourself, please stay where you are at as I'm sure your life is wonderful and just couldn't be better, once YOU grow up that is.

Very sadly . 

You have a morbid sense of 

humour.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 1:22 AM, Bobluckynova said:

I recently went to CM immigration to extend my retirement visa based on the 800k in the bank.  I was told by the first agent that I needed one year of statement from the bank. 

I suspect that there are some overzealous officer who make up their own rules. Why do we need 12 months bank statement when doing the 800k deposit? 

We only need 2 months before the appl date if this is your first time. Next year might be different bcos they need to check the 3 months after approval .

Edited by EricTh

24 minutes ago, dvg said:

Does somebody know untill what time I can do 90 days report at Chiang Mai Imm?For the first time in 10 years I forget my mail in.Thanks.

You can do your 90 days report online.

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

There are too many people now at immigration. Why add to the queue?

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, dvg said:

Does somebody know untill what time I can do 90 days report at Chiang Mai Imm?For the first time in 10 years I forget my mail in.Thanks.

If you're still able to do it online (within 7 to 15 days before expiration only), give that a try; otherwise, you'll have to do it in person at any time up to 7 days after the expiration date.

[I would note that once I intentionally mailed by 90-day report 11 days before expiration and had no problem doing so (I did it to make sure the new reporting date was dated a day or two after I was taking a trip out of the country).   It worked for me but may not for you.]

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CMBob said:

If you're still able to do it online (within 7 to 15 days before expiration only), give that a try; otherwise, you'll have to do it in person at any time up to 7 days after the expiration date.

[I would note that once I intentionally mailed by 90-day report 11 days before expiration and had no problem doing so (I did it to make sure the new reporting date was dated a day or two after I was taking a trip out of the country).   It worked for me but may not for you.]

thanks for that Bob,then I have still 6 days to go to the CM imm office.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:37 AM, Thailand said:

Went there yesterday to do TM30 for new tenants around 9am- in and out in 5 minutes.

On the other hand the queues at the main entrance were absolutely chaotic, queuing to get a ticket to get a ticket perhaps?

Looked very much like the bad old days.

So TM30 is quick but visa renewals or 90day reporting mean long queues?

On 2/7/2020 at 5:08 AM, roo860 said:

Went yday morning, arrived 6.30am, given ticket 37, (for checking docs). Docs checked at approx 9am, given ticket number 36 for 1yr extension desk. Was called about 11.30am to desk number 5, 2 female officers went through my 6 month bank statements very carefully. Also wanted my updated bank book, had copied all pages. 

Had to wait till 1pm to recieve passport (lunch break for staff). Needed re entry permit as well, left office at 1.15pm. 

During my time there it was chaos, mainly tourists wanting 1yr extensions, at one time it got very heated between them and immigration officers.

Afternoon now seems to be a good time to go, assuming they still have numbers to give out.

Ps,

Last year went at 7.45am, ticket number 5 given, was out by 9.15am with re entry permit as well.

Thanks for the report, seems ages ago we met up. Drop me a PM

On 2/7/2020 at 5:08 AM, roo860 said:

Went yday morning, arrived 6.30am, given ticket 37, (for checking docs). Docs checked at approx 9am, given ticket number 36 for 1yr extension desk. Was called about 11.30am to desk number 5, 2 female officers went through my 6 month bank statements very carefully. Also wanted my updated bank book, had copied all pages. 

Had to wait till 1pm to recieve passport (lunch break for staff). Needed re entry permit as well, left office at 1.15pm. 

During my time there it was chaos, mainly tourists wanting 1yr extensions, at one time it got very heated between them and immigration officers.

Afternoon now seems to be a good time to go, assuming they still have numbers to give out.

Ps,

Last year went at 7.45am, ticket number 5 given, was out by 9.15am with re entry permit as well.

Thanks for the report, seems ages ago we met up. Drop me a PM

I went to Chiang Mai immigration today. We got there about 9:30 and there was a crowd outside the front doors. The doors were locked. My purpose for going was I have to renew my retirement visa so we stopped at my bank to get a letter stating I have the required funds. Anyway we waited outside until around 10:30 then found a helpful Thai officer that allowed us to enter the side door and sit in one of the seats they had provided. We sat there until noon when all the workers went to eat lunch. Then some woman came out and said if anyone wanted a queue number they would have to get at the end of the line outside. Since there were about 100 people in that line we decided to go home and try again tomorrow. Looks like we are back to having to arrive before 6 AM in order to get a number that will be seen before noon. How depressing since they were doing so well. Last time I went for my 90 day reporting I was in and out in about 10 minutes. But now they are back to their old ways apparently.

Certainly some folks turned away today who had waited hours in the outside queue.  Confusion and big crowds.  I blame new admin (was better with big Joke), and many chinese unwilling to go home now so they want to extend. 

And would be helpful (Immig probably doesn't care) but some sorting outside into various queues, (short term, long term, 90 day, tourist extend) might speed things along since now all Immig needs wait in one line; today down the steps and around the corner.

One unhappy sight was very old farang lady, seemed comatose, in a wheelchair pushed by helpers. Seemed criminal to make her wait for a number, but wait they did.  

• Thanks 1

I hope you are not talking to me.  And IMO, many of those at the door today were casual folks here on holiday, or such.  Most of those think only of in-person Immigration.

Even many long timers do not use the online or mail-in 90 day reports. They go to the office and get it done.  And usually fast.  

Just now the high season and big crowds.

With such long queues, you should seriously consider to do your 90-day reports and TM30 filings on-line.

22 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

I hope you are not talking to me.  And IMO, many of those at the door today were casual folks here on holiday, or such.  Most of those think only of in-person Immigration.

Even many long timers do not use the online or mail-in 90 day reports. They go to the office and get it done.  And usually fast.  

Just now the high season and big crowds.

> Surely not a personal message, just a general remark from my part.

My IO (SiSaKet) is not crowded at all, and actually very pleasant to visit, but it is +70 kms from where I live.

So I do my 90-day reports and TM30 filings on-line, easy-peasy.

And so I only need to visit my IO once a year for my annual extension of stay.