Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)

JimmyJ

On 3/15/2020 at 12:24 PM, Mapguy said:

Chiang Mai Immigration Office requirements for conversion to NON-0 (retirement) status from tourist visas are apparently changing and becoming more onerous and time-consuming.  The office has previously issued a written list of requirements which mirrors the national requirements except for requiring at least 21 instead of 14 days processing time.  Attached in such a list dated when obtained.  What changes are being made, what new documents or requirements -- not simple errors of submission that need to be corrected -- are being demanded, and is such direction verbal from an officer or in written (and dated) form?

Conversion Requirements (Chiang Mai) 15FEB20.rtf 4.46 kB · 5 downloads

I'm not understanding this one:   " a letter from the bank stating the specific deposits labeled ‘FTT’ (foreign transfers) in your bank book are actually in your bank passbook (even though you and they can see them in your passbook) " What is the difference between Bank Book and Bank Passbook? 

• Like 1

It is quite evident from SilverHawk's post that CM immigration is making it more difficult to change to a Non-O visa to escape the health insurance requirement.  I recently encountered problems reporting my TM.30 after returning from the U.S. and staying at my same residence of eleven years.

What more will they be doing to us long-time expats?

Sorry to hear you had a problem. See the new CM TM30 thread below. You sound like you have something to add!

Who has and can post a (Hopefully) dated new list or documents and requirements for NON-O conversion in Chiang Mai, only for Chiang Mai,

Edited by Mapguy

Sorry folks but my flight to HK cancelled and now i must scramble to do my 90 day report.  Too late for mail-in, online won't work for me so off to Promenada i will go.

What do i need to show to the 90 day IO?  Do i need a TM30 from my hotel? A problem coz they are very slow to provide one and i have limited time.

1 hour ago, cchhrriiss said:

Just went to Immigration to extend my Non-O visa and wanted to let everyone know how it went given the change over the past few months along with the virus.

5:50 arrived at airport. 30th in line

7:00 about 60 people in line, parking lot almost full, man wearing volunteer sweater started going down the line reviewing paperwork. 

7:15 the doors opened and they started the queue

7:50 got my queue number (O20, 21, 22 family of 3) and sat down to wait for the rest of the officers to arrive. It was just the 3 officers at the queue desk at that point. 

8:30 the rest of the officers arrived and started taking numbers and processing applications. 

10:00 our number was called to turn in documents

10:30 passport with extended visa returned and out I went.

At the time I left (10:30) the queue numbers being served were: O28, TF7, RE3, C4, 

Overall, it took a while  (4.5 hours) and if you don't arrive early 5:30-6:30 you probably won't be finished before lunch. But it went smoothly (we had all the documents we needed) just be prepared to wait and sit a while, but there wasn't any confusion/yelling/issues as I have read about before. All the officers were polite and respectful. At about 8:30 another "volunteer" arrived who was helping people get the right paperwork while they were waiting/before they got to queue desk. He was a westerner and seemed to be very knowledgable and helpful to people. There were still a fair amount of people coming with applications that needed to be done at promenade mall, they were notified of the switch and left for the mall.

There were officers going around taking temperatures and recording them on your applications. Don't know what they did if you have a fever, but they seem to be taking it into account.  

Why go 5.50 am , come on too many people do not think and complain, go mid afternoon and you will still get what ever required or go online for 90 days or TM30

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Petrus said:

Thanks Chris

Your info was very helpful. As I intend to try my luck tomorrow. Probably early!

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on. My Extension renewal is on the horizon....

90 report in person at promenda.

arrived prom 12:40, filled form TM47, available on-site.  had passport but no other doc/photos/forms etc. 

took a number, sat and waited 15 mins, was processed easily.

big crowds for tourist extensions, other needs, but 90 day went smooth.

what is curious to me is if Thai Immig is so concerned about where i am, why do they permit me to claim, with no proof, my living location?  but who am i to question 'ultimate thainess'.

and as a secondary comment i saw lots of farangs milling about in a small crowded place, most with no mask, jostling for queue position, some arguing for priority, etc.  i thought, in view of the current chinese virus, such a scene was not the best to be amongst.

see you again in june.  or not!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

90 report in person at promenda.

arrived prom 12:40, filled form TM47, available on-site.  had passport but no other doc/photos/forms etc. 

took a number, sat and waited 15 mins, was processed easily.

big crowds for tourist extensions, other needs, but 90 day went smooth.

what is curious to me is if Thai Immig is so concerned about where i am, why do they permit me to claim, with no proof, my living location?  but who am i to question 'ultimate thainess'.

and as a secondary comment i saw lots of farangs milling about in a small crowded place, most with no mask, jostling for queue position, some arguing for priority, etc.  i thought, in view of the current chinese virus, such a scene was not the best to be amongst.

see you again in june.  or not!

Or you could do it online or by post which would be even more sensible considering the Covid-19 situation?

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 9:07 PM, Pesky said:

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on. My Extension renewal is on the horizon....

Thanks Chris and mine is also on the horizon.  I have all the documents prepared aside from 400k+ bank funds document which I usually do the same day I go to immigration to request my extension.  I know how the system works from doing it in the past but is at anyway now possible to submit the documents online to avoid waiting in that confined space with other people at immigration?

I do my 90 day reports online and curious if there is an option open for doing your visa extension online as well now.  Or even if there is just a way to get a time and submit your documents and come back after the immigration officer processes everything.  That would be much preferred to sitting around and waiting around with a queue number.  (P.s.) last year I think they were also experimenting with an online queue system app.  Does that work at immigration now?   Basically you would pick up your queue number in person but could download and app on your phone showing you updates in the queue system so atleast if this is working properly now you could leave the immigration building and go somewhere with a bit more isolation from the crowd.

2 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Sorry if this is becoming repetitive, but could someone please kindly re-post the link for the current CM 90 day report by mail address. Thanks in advance. 

Chaing Mai Immigration

71 Sanaambin Raod,

T Suthep A Muang

Chiang Mai 50200

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Sorry if this is becoming repetitive, but could someone please kindly re-post the link for the current CM 90 day report by mail address. Thanks in advance. 

The more correct address should be written like this (you can skip the bracketed Thai line if you wish):

NOTIFY 90 DAYS

CHIANGMAI IMMIGRATION

71 MOO 3  SANAMBIN ROAD

[71 หมู่ที่ 3  ถ. สน่มบิน]

T.  SUTHEP, A. MUANG

CHIANG MAI, THAILAND  50200

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can generally report very crowded at CM Sanambin IO this morning.  Some efforts were being made there to accommodate the large number of supplicants inside and out, such as some cover and plastic screening inside, but the crowd inside was much too tightly-packed.  However, an education extension only took 3.5 hours  with arrival at 08:30.  No agent.

Much of the general confusion of late posted on ThaiVisa seems to be about emergency extensions to tourist visas, and the comments seem basically Bangkok-based.  After doing a fair scan of more than 30 pages of posts I can recall only one involving the Chiang Mai and Lamphun offices. Not to diminish the concerns of tourists, but what is going on regarding other situations?

I can not recall seeing anything helpful regarding any sort of changes in rules for NON-O (retirement) and NON-OA (retirement) extensions. Any news about the CM office?

I can not recall anything helpful regarding the situations of those who are taking the conversion route necessitated by their inability to obtain the mandated Thai health insurance coverage. Any information?  I can only speculate that with borders closing and their current status in Thailand closing out, they either have to get out immediately and wait abroad somewhere until travel restrictions are lifted or be detained or expelled. I found one post in which someone was given 7 days to leave the country.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent reports today are that Chiang Mai Immigration has a "drive-through" 90-day report process that is working.  TM47 and passport required.  OK, too, for motorcyclists.  The web site (on-line reports) and the post office (mailed reports) are functional AFAIK.

No reports seen on the situation inside the office, which other reports say will be closed on Monday.

Only focus of late seems to be on tourist extensions. No word about processing annual extensions or other business.

Anything to add?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Recent reports today are that Chiang Mai Immigration has a "drive-through" 90-day report process that is working.  TM47 and passport required.  OK, too, for motorcyclists.  The web site (on-line reports) and the post office (mailed reports) are functional AFAIK.

No reports seen on the situation inside the office, which other reports say will be closed on Monday.

Only focus of late seems to be on tourist extensions. No word about processing annual extensions or other business.

Anything to add?

I keep reading about the drive thru but where is it located and hours of operation

• 2 weeks later...

A shocking but pleasant experience on Monday, April 13th !!!

A visit to CM Immigration at the Airport office on Monday at 12:30 revealed only one other client inside the building.  Yes, just two of us, both at the Information Desk.   On the right-hand side of the parking area designated under a tent with a sign, "COVID-19. were approximately 20 people seated and waiting.  Not a huge crowd.  No cars traveling through the "drive-in" (90-Day report window).

A much-reduced staff, including the boss lady, was on duty at their desks and there were two volunteers helping at the door checking masks and providing queue tickets for annual extension business as well as, I suppose, other "regular" business. Temperature was taken at a tent station before entering the door. Hand sanitiser was available.

All very well organised.  The weeks just before must have been pure hell for the staff, most of whom were doubtlessly home recovering.

This is not, obviously, a compliment for higher authority.

Reports about the situation at immigration are very quiet,

I have to do my extension next week,and wonder what is

happening at this time, very busy,not so busy or very few there.

Last year I did the extension in approx 2 hours,that's from going

to bank to get letter,driving there,in and out, the fastest I have

ever done it,due to the fact Big Joke sorted them out,but I understand

it has fallen back into its old ways, of having to be there at 5 or sooner.

So has anybody been there last couple weeks and can report whats

happening, posts here are very few and it's not busy at all ,like it used to be.

regards Worgeordie

Last month was busier than I expected but I still found a park inside at 11am and grabbed a ticket before wandering down to Baan and Beyond.  Had lunch and was back at Immi around 2pm.  Extension and reentry finished by 4.30pm. 

As above, today, Chiang Mai Immigration was moderately busy in the afternoon.  Very well-organized procedure to enter (temperature, mask with hand sanitiser available). An English-speaking volunteer out front.  On the right in front of the building an area which appears to be for tourist extensions.  On the left, there is a quick drive-through window for 90-Day reports (Still done even for those now due past the grace period) and TM 30 reports.  (Is there really  someone around who still hasn't done his last TM30 report?!)  Inside (early afternoon) basically no wait at the Information/Document Review desk. Normal extensions and re-entry visas, etc plus other normal business. Maybe 25 people seated and waiting their turns. Business is reported to be moderate in the morning with hardly anyone around from mid-afternoon. Closes for new customers about 16:00.

• Thanks 1

Handled my annual retirement extension on Wednesday, arriving at 1:15PM and finished (with new annual extension and ME re-entry permit) at 3:25PM.  Although a bit longer than last year, a couple of hours isn't all that bad once a year. That time included the short time it took me to walk across the street to obtain a copy of the new extension so I could get the re-entry permit.   

This particular IMM officer had an issue with my not updating my Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) term passbook (which I've never done before).  I showed him that the same passbook has years of entries and it was not required previously.  I also explained to him that a SCB term passbook cannot be updated, regardless if I or the teller sticks the passbook in the update machine (yes, I am aware that it can be done with a regular savings account and perhaps any type of account at Bangkok Bank).  Anyway, after some discussion, he let it go.  I have been aware of this issue over the years and have asked SCB in the past to add some language to their usual letter saying this passbook cannot be updated; however, they've never added any such language in the past and I didn't bother asking this time.

On arrival, the parking lot was full (no slots) so had to drive around the building (slightly delayed at the drive-up 90-day-report window which had one car which left in 30 seconds). Parking is available across the street.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are CM immigration still currently processing 90 day reports via Mail?  I know that the need to do 90 day reports has been suspended until the 31st of July but if I can I would like to keep mine up to date and not have join the masses come the end of July.  Thanks in advance.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, XGM said:

Did anyone go there recently? I will need to do my Non-Imm-O Extension (based on Marriage) in the next weeks.

Did mine based on retirement yesterday.  No problem.