Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)

JimmyJ

The topic of Marriage Visa procedures are quite detailed in preceding posts.  There are a couple experiences I thought I would add:
!:  In the 18 years of doing my retirement extension, one copy of all documents was required.  When we showed up to change to the marriage extension with all the documents, they said they needed two copies.  So another copy of the 24 pieces of paper we had were quickly made by my wife at the Imm copy shop. Signed again in blue.  Another 48 copies added to some warehouse with my other 18 years of copies.
2: The volunteers outside who checked all were very polite and friendly.  However, one guy insisted I needed a 1 year bank statement which I didn't have.  As I was using the money in the bank method, I told him it wasn't necessary.  He was adamant it was, but he would let me try anyway.  It wasn't needed. A slight scare when IO handed my bank letter to my wife and said "Not enough money in the bank". We all had a laugh when the IO realized the amount was $USD not baht.
3: All went smoothly and went home to await our "home visit" which would take place "within 10 days".  A Thai person would be necessary as a witness that we lived there, even though we own the house and they had TWO copies of all the papers.  The manager of our Moo Baan agreed to do this.
Tipped off by a post on this forum, it was possible Imm would ask us to bring a witness to the Imm Office instead of the home visit.  We live in Doi Saket, and as a matter of principal I was not going to drag a witness to Imm, or make another trip ourselves. If we have to follow every one of their rules, than so do they.  A home visit is required.
Sure enough the wife received the phone call "Could you come to the office with your witness?"  Surprisingly, the wife stood her ground and said no.  "OK, I will call you back, maybe tomorrow".  No call the next day so the wife called him.  Imm said "We are very busy are you sure you can't come here?"  Yes, we're sure.  
The next day two male Imm officers arrived, in a plain car, not a BMW. They brought into the house a laptop and a full size printer.  They asked many questions of our witness and all her personal info.  They printed forms for her to sign and took photos while she did so.  Also photos of us together with her.  I had no idea this would be that intrusive on her time and I later apologized.  We signed more forms for who knows what.
All in all, they were friendly, took many photos and we had some good conversations about many topics and my retirement from law enforcement. They even took photos of my old photos from that period. Oh, they did ask for the infamous photo of us in the bedroom.  I think they were embarrassed when the wife asked "Do you want us IN the bed?".  
I have no complaints of any of the officers we dealt with, which is my usual experience.  It is just too bad they are shackled to such redundant and unnecessary procedures. 

Edited by silverhawk_usa
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JimGant said:

Out of curiosity, why did you switch it marriage extension?

Because I have an OA Visa which would now require the purchase of a new and very expensive health insurance policy for the Retirement extension renewal.  I have health insurance, but it doesn't meet their criteria.  I can't go out of the country and change to an Non Imm O, and probably wouldn't even if I could as it was easier to just jump through the hoops and change to Marriage extension which doesn't require the health insurance.  The Imm officer asked me the same question, and nodded in agreement when I gave her this reason. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Because I have an OA Visa which would now require the purchase of a new and very expensive health insurance policy for the Retirement extension renewal.

Completely understand. I'm in the same boat, OA visa and retirement extension -- but my marriage certificate is US, and I needed the embassy/consulate to notarize it to proceed to the Kor Ror 22 stage needed for a marriage extension. Nope. Embassy closed to notarizations due to covid. Fortunately, info on this forum showed that LMG insurance would issue me a policy, even by being age 75, for 11,400bt. SOLD!. Well worth the cost, when I think, had I been one year older, I couldn't have gotten the insurance, plus, not being able to dot all the i's for getting a Kor Ror 22, plus borders closed, blah blah. Anyway, I'm good to go for another year, as you are. All's well that ends well. Now, just stay tuned for whatever BS they can throw our way in the next 12 months. Good luck to us both.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Completely understand. I'm in the same boat, OA visa and retirement extension -- but my marriage certificate is US, and I needed the embassy/consulate to notarize it to proceed to the Kor Ror 22 stage needed for a marriage extension. Nope. Embassy closed to notarizations due to covid. Fortunately, info on this forum showed that LMG insurance would issue me a policy, even by being age 75, for 11,400bt. SOLD!. Well worth the cost, when I think, had I been one year older, I couldn't have gotten the insurance, plus, not being able to dot all the i's for getting a Kor Ror 22, plus borders closed, blah blah. Anyway, I'm good to go for another year, as you are. All's well that ends well. Now, just stay tuned for whatever BS they can throw our way in the next 12 months. Good luck to us both.

I will look into your insurance company.  My quote was 110,000+ baht per year.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I will look into your insurance company.  My quote was 110,000+ baht per year.  Thanks.

I too this year extended my retirement stay under the O-A umbrella and purchased from LMG their cheapest policy for 11,400 baht.  You should contact #PeterDenis for very helpful information.

• Thanks 2

Just checking.  Is this correct? When making a 90-Day report at either Promenada or at the main officce drive-in window, you must have (1) your passport, (2) current TM30 receipt, (3) current 90-day receipt, and (4) completed TM47 application?

7 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

Just checking.  Is this correct? When making a 90-Day report at either Promenada or at the main officce drive-in window, you must have (1) your passport, (2) current TM30 receipt, (3) current 90-day receipt, and (4) completed TM47 application?

It is what I had at the last "drive in" at the last 90 days.

Did a 90 Day report after lunch today at Promenada, more out of curiosity than anything else there to see what the office is like.  Within the first 15 minutes after lunch there were less than 20 people in the whole office, six for 90 Day reports.  An officer with a volunteer helper at the door.  I was #34 for the day; took less than five minutes. The clerk doing the reports said last week was busy (for extension problems), but nothing going on this week to speak of.

• 1 month later...

First 90 Day report after lunch at Gymkana today following  Rem day 11-11 ceremony..Big turnout ..impressive. Promenada at 12-55...Closed for lunch until 13-00 ..."ha natti" wait first in..Had all the docs but only required PP and TM ...took about 3-4 minutes...Done..Headed off to Makro to pick up the beer for the shop.Chap on the door as well as his Volunteer were Excellent..as was the  lady who processed my report.....Well done and kop khun Jao..Thai Immigration...chop..mak..

Edited by Rinrada

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 6:58 PM, HullyGully said:

Below is the link for the Appointment Form

https://cmimm.net/send-contact/

You can make an appointment 45 days from your expiry date

You fill out the form send it to IMM, they get back to you by email, I guess if the time and date does not suit you, then you reply asking for a new date and time

I went there today to ask for the list of requirements and they never said I have to make an appointment.

Can't we just walk in on that day like in previous years?

16 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

The appointment is an option so you don't have to queue. Walk-in is still possible, being seen that day, I image, depends on queue length.

I just went on Friday to get list of requirements, it's almost empty. There's no queue.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it is necessary, you will just end up with 2 reports in your passport. I did it after a year in a futile attempt to be able to once again use online 90 reporting, which stopped being possible after renewing my passport and not leaving and reentering on it.

19 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

I don't think it is necessary, you will just end up with 2 reports in your passport. I did it after a year in a futile attempt to be able to once again use online 90 reporting, which stopped being possible after renewing my passport and not leaving and reentering on it.

It is necessary if we want to do online 90 reporting or else it the passport number won't match. 

Anybody know whether we can do it at the airport?

Edited by EricTh

I applied for a marriage extension and my wife and I have been interviewed.  I need to go back on Dec 23rd to see if my application has been successful.  Am I able to go on my own or is my wife also required to be there?  Hoping it's just me but you never know TIT after all.

5 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

For the last few years I have been told this. I wouldn't think they would turn you away in the morning though - maybe somebody has experience of this?

Wasn't mentioned either at application for spouse extension, or during the interview earlier in the week.  Just come on a particular day.  Hoping to head off on holiday same day.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:14 PM, stament said:

I applied for a marriage extension and my wife and I have been interviewed.  I need to go back on Dec 23rd to see if my application has been successful.  Am I able to go on my own or is my wife also required to be there?  Hoping it's just me but you never know TIT after all.

Only you need attend.

• Thanks 1

Just got my extension of sty for retirement at immigration, I used the 800,000 in the bank. I have my money in a saving account and want to change to a direct deposit. Can I do the transfer during the 3 months of not taking money out of the bank period. Thanks for all info on this.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:14 PM, stament said:

On your own, its a five minute in and out. You usually have to simply present your pp at the desk where thry take the photos.

dont go early and dont go too late they will not be happy.

I generally collect end January but once I delayed the trip until 3wks later to coincide with a 90day report.

Girl gave me a right bollkg and told me no longer than 5 days in future.