Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)

JimmyJ

Will I still able to update my current TM30 by myself at CM Imm when I return from Vietnam in early March? I do have a Yellow Book & the last couple of times I have returned to Thailand from other countries, it has never been a problem.

Thanks for any forthcoming advice.

5 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Rumours abound that from 1st March the 90 day reporting and TM30 reporting are moving back to Promenada; somebody said they heard this from an IO.   Anyone know if this has been or can be confirmed ?

This is good news, I think? We won’t have the crowds like now. 

17 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Rumours abound that from 1st March the 90 day reporting and TM30 reporting are moving back to Promenada; somebody said they heard this from an IO.   Anyone know if this has been or can be confirmed ?

Confirmed by the notice that they will be providing transport from the airport office to and back from Prominada for these two services.  AC BMWs less than 2 years old with drivers will be available.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Pesky said:

Will I still able to update my current TM30 by myself at CM Imm when I return from Vietnam in early March? I do have a Yellow Book & the last couple of times I have returned to Thailand from other countries, it has never been a problem.

Yes (absent some possible change as noted above).  Just go up to the third floor, they'll hand you a queue number, and you'll likely be taken care of in less than 5 minutes.  Best to go after 1PM as less people around then.  All you need is your passport with your new TM6 (departure card) and TM30 Receipt of Notification (on which they'll place a new date stamp or print you out new one if the one you have is raggedy or full).

16 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

This is good news, I think? We won’t have the crowds like now. 

TM 30 reporting is done on the 3rd floor so does not create crowding downstairs.90 day reporting can be done online in the comfort of your home or by mail at your nearest PO.In fact there is a school of thought that these 2 methods should be compulsory and that would help eliminate this current chaos of queuing.So simple to do

• Like 1

Sure 90 days is so easy on line, relax and within a few hours approved, as long as your info. is correct !  also TM 30 online or via the app.  , so only a visit 1 time a year for an extension and if you think about it and not go early morning, perhaps mid afternoon, never a problem.   Too many complaints here, just think and relax, really 1 time a year is a problem.  Never used an Agent and never will !

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Sparkles said:

TM 30 reporting is done on the 3rd floor so does not create crowding downstairs.90 day reporting can be done online in the comfort of your home or by mail at your nearest PO.In fact there is a school of thought that these 2 methods should be compulsory and that would help eliminate this current chaos of queuing.So simple to do

Yes, and also TM30 reporting can be done on-line in the comfort of your home.

I compiled a comprehensive step-by-step instruction detailing how to register on the IO TM30 website and subsequently file your TM30s on-line.

It's easy (if you know how to do it) and will take less than 2 minutes once you are registered and filed the very first one (which will take max 1 hour), so PM me if you'd like to receive a copy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 3:09 PM, trainman34014 said:

I was the one who suggested this first on Thaivisa i.e. those which don't need official approval like

1. the 1 month tourist extension

2. TM30

3. 90 days report

4. reentry permit

5. transfer of stamp

Maybe some immigration officials read my suggestion in this forum? ... ????

90 days can be done online, you don't even need to go.

I don't know how TM30 reporting is done online yet 

Edited by EricTh

I went to immigration at around 10-11 am this morning.

The queue to the front counter was long and snaked outside to the car park area.

Luckily, I only need to go to the TM30 upstairs on 3rd floor which was surprisingly empty and was served immediately.

• Like 1

Received my Retirment Extension to morning executed by The Colonel Visa Company (opp the Immgr Dept) arrived 8 45 am finished 10 30 am

Cost was 8500 baht ( includes  Immgr fee plus 4 x 90 day reports and Saloon  Passage  fee)

Excellent service was provided  by  The  Colonel perhaps 5 mins  spent  in the Immgr Dept(picture taken) 

btw  the Immgr Dept was heaving like  the old days 

8500 baht   IMO. ???? well spent

• Haha 2

As they are moving the mentioned items to Promenada, service at the new (near airport) building ought to be much better for annual extensions, I'd expect.  Of course, that partially depends on how many officers are moved to the Promenada office.

I do hope, however, that Immigration doesn't only use the old upstairs office at Promenada as it's much too small to handle much of anything (it's probably smaller than the third-floor TM30 office at the new building). 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Cheesekraft said:

what is the change to immigration office with the coronavirus outbreak? such close contact in a small room could be disastrous

No changes needed, the virus is under control says P and his health minister.

Does look like the 3000 plus suffering from "flu" may actually have the virus though.

Oops!

Advice sought on sequence of events to mitigate time spent at CM Immi.

A./ We have 2 houses a few 100 metres apart and I am registered (online TM30) at the old one after just returning from o/s.  I already obtained a yellow book for new house several months ago when we 1st registered it at the Amphur office.  Our transition from old to new house is a work in progress.

B./ I renewed my passport, received in post yesterday, as only 5 months remained in old one.

C./ Retirement extension due b4 20th of April.

Now, my questions:-

1.  a. Should wife register for TM30 online and report me at NEW address BEFORE I do renewal (next week)?   or ...

b. Simply enter all new address details on the TM7 and present yellow book along with all other docs.

2.  Do I need to have old stamps transferred from old passport to NEW before applying for renewal or will IO simply accommodate that procedure at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Mac

There was an extensive post by KrishnaCameb4Buddha on 15 February

conversions done in the Chiang Mai Immigration Office for which there were several unpublished additional requirements for documents.  Is there now a revised list for Chiang Mai showing what is necessary? 

On 2/4/2020 at 10:43 AM, Bill97 said:

Try again after researching the meaning of Customs.

took a vacation to Bali and used this window for my re entry. Although I was traveling to Bangkok first, they treated me at customs window as leaving the country in CM.  I mistakenly thought I would do it in Bangkok. Made the flight by seconds.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 12:37 PM, Thailand said:

Went there yesterday to do TM30 for new tenants around 9am- in and out in 5 minutes.

On the other hand the queues at the main entrance were absolutely chaotic, queuing to get a ticket to get a ticket perhaps?

Looked very much like the bad old days.

Took me more than two hours to get to the desk and was told the CMIO top officer has changed the rules for my Non O and had arrived about 8:40

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

took a vacation to Bali and used this window for my re entry. Although I was traveling to Bangkok first, they treated me at customs window as leaving the country in CM.  I mistakenly thought I would do it in Bangkok. Made the flight by seconds.

Perhaps you mean immigration not customs?  Never had to clear customs to leave Thailand.

• Haha 1

Had a query that needed resolving and to avoid having to go to immigration I called them.

Got through on the third attempt and although I was put through to an "English" speaker via the robot system it certainly helped that I had passable Thai to convey my query.

The IO was unable to answer the query but took my details and said someone would call me back.

Just twenty minutes later a female IO called and she was able to answer the query. 

Just a positive report related to Chiang Mai immigration, well done.

Given everything that is causing trouble (COVID-19, the Chinese New Year tourists, changes in visa-extension regulations) in Chiang Mai Immigration (which involves much more of course than what is happening in the office), it is actually surprising we have seen so few useful reports of the scene.  And there really haven't been any howling complaints, either.  Any reports? Some careful reports in the past have been quite helpful, no doubt, to many.

For those who avoid the CM office except for a minimal amount of time or when absolutely necessary as you must be physically there for some transactions, such as extensions, conversions and re-entry visas, some relief can be found with learning to do 90-Day reports (on-line or by mail) and TM30 reports on-line. There is careful and complete guidance available on ThaiVisa and elsewhere. Take a look.

Edited by Mapguy
grammar and clarity
  • Like 1

Chiang Mai Immigration Office requirements for conversion to NON-0 (retirement) status from tourist visas are apparently changing and becoming more onerous and time-consuming.  The office has previously issued a written list of requirements which mirrors the national requirements except for requiring at least 21 instead of 14 days processing time.  Attached in such a list dated when obtained.  What changes are being made, what new documents or requirements -- not simple errors of submission that need to be corrected -- are being demanded, and is such direction verbal from an officer or in written (and dated) form?

Conversion Requirements (Chiang Mai) 15FEB20.rtf

Edited by Mapguy
grammar and clarity
  • Sad 1