Leaked audio tape: Big Joke criticizes RTP chief as shooting and alleged corruption fallout comes to a boil

webfact

Imo, all of this shows that corruption goes to the top and seriously chaps, I think it's a very sad and sorrowful state. There's a guy telling Thais not bicker. there's a committee trying to stop the young politicians getting their say and so on, corruption is rife not to mention the contradictions of state agencies and their predictions. I see the number of roadside stalls increase, at least in my area, because the ordinary Thai family is fighting to make a living while there are giant vortexes above their heads of billions of Baht going round and round. Hospitals are told they can charge foreigners double which is no less legalised extortion.

And before someone replies to my comment that it goes on elsewhere I would say add to this the blatant imbalance of punishment for serious crimes. And before someone else tells me that I should leave, I did mention last year that I had made plans and had gone to stage 2, and as of last month I have gone to stage three. And if you want to know why I haven't gone yet is because I love the country, and the friends etc I have made. I just try to keep positive and hope things will improve...am I wrong to think that way? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The biometrics test in Thailand is fingers of both hands, plus thumbs. One screen, two operations, ten data points for the computer to process.

The Malaysian biometric test is both index fingers. One screen, one operation, two data points.

Possibly Big Joke was correct in saying it was a waste of money. Being right in Thailand can be a hazardous occupation when face is involved. Or money.

Could be worse. For example, the Thais could demand that arrivals in addition to their ten digits also press their face against a glass panel so immigration can scan their nose hairs. One by one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

All they talk about is food and money. I regret learning the language because that’s all I hear when I’m out and about, food and money, food and money, food and money. 

I thought maybe some of the wealthier Thais I know who work professional jobs would talk about important or interesting things, but nope, food and money with the occasional TV show. 

+1

My son was over on a visit from the UK and had a brief fling with a Thai girl and brushed with the idea of learning Thai.

He would ask me on various occasions when we visited Koh Chang what the Thais were saying to me and asking. When I translated it back to him and explained exactly what they were talking about, as you have stated above, he quickly lost interest.

• Like 1

Guys,

Slightly off topic,

On my recent visit to Phnom Penn with an e visa I went to the fingerprint scanner and the immigration said to me ' No need, No need ' I asked why and he smiled and said VIP.

I think the scanners are not functioning properly as it is the third time recently that this has happened and I have been waved through.

It certainly isn't because I am a VIP.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NRGF said:

And so the plot thickens, can't wait for the next episode, fascinating stuff. Its better than the Thai soaps on the television.

'Big Joke's' wife won't be happy about it all happening while he was in a massage parlour.

Bad guys out ...... etc.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dcnx said:

All they talk about is food and money. I regret learning the language because that’s all I hear when I’m out and about, food and money, food and money, food and money. 

I thought maybe some of the wealthier Thais I know who work professional jobs would talk about important or interesting things, but nope, food and money with the occasional TV show. 

You must mix with a better class of Thai guys than me ..........

My male Thai 'associates' also talk about hookers and gambling.

20 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Why have other developing countries dropped it? Is it because technological advances have made it obsolete and outdated? or is it not fit for purpose?

I mean at the moment, the Thais are now talking about introducing the ' iris scan ' for their own nationals. I saw such a system ( excuse the pun) in operation in Abu Dhabi, and it seemed very efficient. I am unsure if this type of scan will be introduced for foreigners after them spending these sums on their much heralded biometrics system.

What I do always find comical is why the Thais always have to put it in the public domain how much such things cost at every opportunity.

Have you seen "Face Pay" in China ?

Look at the screen,  place your order and it's paid for!

And this is at your local restaurant or takeaway.

• Like 1