UK Pensions and related info

11 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Just started to fill in my state pension form IPC-BR1.

One of the sections on marriage requires a marriage certificate, that's if you select send original documents box.

Along with birth certificate etc, which I have original.

I was married in Don Mueang District, Bangkok, on 16 March 2007 and have the Thai language certificates. So do I need to have them translated into English, or just post off them as they are.

Anyone have up to date info on this?

I found the form not exactly easy as not very experienced in PDF/Acrobat reader stuff.

THX

If you claim online there are no difficult questions, and no paperwork to send/copy/translate.

No need to declare you're married, they can't check.

Just set your VPN to London, and fill in the form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the recent advice and comments.   Today I received an e-mail from the Newcastle Pension Centre (International).

The UK State pension cannot be claimed on-line from outside of the UK Using GYSP system or the Government Gateway service, these are for United Kingdom permanent residents only.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-claiming-a-state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad

So complete form, print off, sign it and post to the Wolverhampton address.

or alternatively as Isan Farang suggested:

The other option you have is to make a claim over the telephone. If you contact our claims department on +44 191 2187777 option 3 (Monday - Friday, 9-30am - 3:30pm UK time) we can take a telephone claim from you without you having to complete a form yourself.

I have lived here in Thailand since 2005 and have no ties anymore to the UK, any correspondence gets sent to my address here in Phetchabun, P60's, private pension stuff etc.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Thanks for the recent advice and comments.   Today I received an e-mail from the Newcastle Pension Centre (International).

The UK State pension cannot be claimed on-line from outside of the UK Using GYSP system or the Government Gateway service, these are for United Kingdom permanent residents only.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-claiming-a-state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad

So complete form, print off, sign it and post to the Wolverhampton address.

or alternatively as Isan Farang suggested:

The other option you have is to make a claim over the telephone. If you contact our claims department on +44 191 2187777 option 3 (Monday - Friday, 9-30am - 3:30pm UK time) we can take a telephone claim from you without you having to complete a form yourself.

I have lived here in Thailand since 2005 and have no ties anymore to the UK, any correspondence gets sent to my address here in Phetchabun, P60's, private pension stuff etc.

I contacted the IPC last week on the above number for a progress report on my pension claim which was due in November 2021 and was told there is currently a 26 week "delay" in processing claims. Someone else also posted about the long delay in another thread. IMHO you would be better off ringing them to claim rather than adding an extra god-knows-how-long delay caused by sending your claim via snail mail. Also as already pointed out, no supporting documents are required when claiming by phone.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you claim online there are no difficult questions, and no paperwork to send/copy/translate.

No need to declare you're married, they can't check.

Just set your VPN to London, and fill in the form.

Good idea, the Get the State Pension and Gateway  plus DL can all be overcome simply  by VPN, they must know this,supposed to be in UK when making claim ,ridiculous.  Its the PIP Id like to get into ,again non sanctionable,but would need interview with GP,would take time,but times on my side,60 pounds a week tax free,anyone over 70 would sail into it

They (DWP)  just want you frozen if they can,no objection to that if  compliance is no problem,but for some it seems to be a problem

Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:17 AM, phutoie2 said:

Yes I agree, I was tempted to tick the single box and if asked just say village wedding. But these things may catch you out......

Dont forget "bereavement allowance" think it was 2k on your death, small but worth itt for a box tick. ????

"Bereavement Support Payment consists of an initial lump sum payment of £2,500 (or, if you have children, £3,500).

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:30 AM, phutoie2 said:

Just started to fill in my state pension form IPC-BR1.

One of the sections on marriage requires a marriage certificate, that's if you select send original documents box.

Along with birth certificate etc, which I have original.

I was married in Don Mueang District, Bangkok, on 16 March 2007 and have the Thai language certificates. So do I need to have them translated into English, or just post off them as they are.

Anyone have up to date info on this?

I found the form not exactly easy as not very experienced in PDF/Acrobat reader stuff.

THX

did you get an access  code sent to you, 

13 hours ago, steve187 said:

did you get an access  code sent to you, 

Not sure what you mean, but have read the e-mail sent to me and no mention of an access code. I don't have to apply until end of April, and despite filling in the form I may just do it all by telephone.

However I have a lot of ongoing issues in my 'In tray', not least being treated for a heart condition at Phitsanulok hospital....

On 2/5/2022 at 7:39 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

I contacted the IPC last week on the above number for a progress report on my pension claim which was due in November 2021 and was told there is currently a 26 week "delay" in processing claims. Someone else also posted about the long delay in another thread. IMHO you would be better off ringing them to claim rather than adding an extra god-knows-how-long delay caused by sending your claim via snail mail. Also as already pointed out, no supporting documents are required when claiming by phone.

This is interesting. If you defer claiming your state pension you get an extra 5.4% pa I think, used to be 10.4%  when I was working but as inflation has fallen so has the deferral figure, you dont have to defer for complete years its done in 5 week slots so if they are saying 26 weeks implementation I was asking about have a years deferral and see what happens, it worked for me some time ago, you have nothing to lose by asking and if you dont ask you dont get.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, nong38 said:

This is interesting. If you defer claiming your state pension you get an extra 5.4% pa I think, used to be 10.4%  when I was working but as inflation has fallen so has the deferral figure, you dont have to defer for complete years its done in 5 week slots so if they are saying 26 weeks implementation I was asking about have a years deferral and see what happens, it worked for me some time ago, you have nothing to lose by asking and if you dont ask you dont get.

Thanks

It's actually 9 week slots. Your pension increases by 1% (If you reach pensionable age on or after April 6th 2016) for every 9 weeks deferred, so it's just under 5.8% for deferring for 52 weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/what-you-get

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 11:20 AM, izod10 said:

Look under PENALTIES   dwp type,    no nothing.      Now the only way any punishment ,by way of deductions would be any other benefit attached to it.  I can assume housing,,whatever....look it up

There will be posters along Im sure in next few hours,frightened of their own shadow type stating its not how it should be,sure is sunshine,just look it up

Some people have lost it....if they ever had it!

On 2/5/2022 at 7:39 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

Update: Today I received a payment from the DWP which is equivalent to just under 3 months pension (Nov 2019 till now). I've received no documentation about the details of the pension which they were supposed to send me via email. To be fair, I have an unusual email address and I can understand how a mistake could have been made when I gave them the address over the phone. Will call later today and re-confirm the email address. I am expecting the actual documents to be sent via snail mail as well. I'm a happy man now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Update: Today I received a payment from the DWP which is equivalent to just under 3 months pension (Nov 2019 till now). I've received no documentation about the details of the pension which they were supposed to send me via email. To be fair, I have an unusual email address and I can understand how a mistake could have been made when I gave them the address over the phone. Will call later today and re-confirm the email address. I am expecting the actual documents to be sent via snail mail as well. I'm a happy man now.

Just noticed my typo above. Should be November 2021 not November 2019.....Doh!

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 12:06 PM, bert bloggs said:

3.1 % pension rise next year ,that is if you have a Brit address and bank account,wonder how many out herehave that ,lots i bet.

•  
    Do not know,but as you state "lots", more than likely tho, stick 800,000/400,000 in bank then live off fresh air

This thread has been running since 2011, 11 years to be precise in that time the  OAP stood at 93 quid a week, will be  close on 180 quid a week,in few weeks time,(22/23 rise will be a record breaker),that's close on 50% loss of income,probably more if compounding is taken into account ,plus 2500 quid lost through ancillary too 
                      "While substantial Thai tourism will certainly resume once the pandemic subsides, the traditional expat market is already in steep decline. These are the guys who retired here on fixed pensions to enjoy the golden years before the prospect of the crematorium became a near-term possibility."

The guy who headed up the consortium for frozen pensions appears to be gone,shame, he pointed out to punters for the right direction,  but those results above are chilling,and the "Retirement in Thailand" thread becomes more dominant
Edited by fredscats

On 2/8/2022 at 11:14 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

If you look in the 'next year' income tax section of your Gateway account, it will give you your exact pension income. You have complete control over your contact details through your Gateway account.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

What rising costs I can afford to live here, I couldn't have the same standards of living I enjoy in my retirement even with UK pension rises in UK. 

i agree it is far cheaper here ,but if you are on a frozen pension and have very little savings you can no longer afford to come here to live unlike years ago when it was 71 baht to the pound . ,i know its <deleted> in the UK as well but at least you can claim loads of "allowances if your savey enough .

as a thought if you have an address in the UK how would the dwp know you were here ,and what would they do?

Edited by ivor bigun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fredscats said:

Think the word is Savvy Ivor,but you are right,loads of extras handed out,hearing aids/glasses /free NHS/accommodation too,remains to be seen if EU expats keep their unfrozen pensions too,can see the Gateway being busy with contact details being changed

Q     "as a thought if you have an address in the UK how would the dwp know you were here ,and what would they do? ".......A    They would not know/not interested ,and could not do anything even if they wanted (which they don't)

mind you you say they are not interested or would not know ,how do you know?