UK Pensions and related info

40 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

mind you you say they are not interested or would not know ,how do you know?

In regulations,one of which states an impossibility for a OAP pensioner to be accused of fraud of his own pension,not looking for that item,also not every allegation will be investigated  OAP,it available to read if you want to look it up,Im past that,nobody ever been admonished,someone did a Freedom of Information request years ago,nothing,you do it,might be small fee

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you look in the 'next year' income tax section of your Gateway account, it will give you your exact pension income. You have complete control over your contact details through your Gateway account.

Thanks @BritManToo. I've just tried to check via the HMRC App and website and I get a "Service not available" message. Will try again in a day or two. I think I read somewhere that it can take up to 35 days for new information to appear in your personal tax account. By that time I should have received my "decision letter" by snail mail.

11 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

My wife lived in the UK  for quite a few yrs and has an ni number although she didnt work long ,does she get a widows pension or anything when i die as we now live in Thailand?

No. Her NI number is given to here if you were getting a pension allowance for being married, that has all gone, pensions are now based on individuals. If she "paid" NI for, I think, a minimum of 7 years, she can claim a % of the 35 years yo must pay into for a full pension, but only when she becomes 65.

Payments for having a foreign wife stopped in 2010 for new pensions, stopped completely for all in 2020....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, transam said:

No. Her NI number is given to here if you were getting a pension allowance for being married, that has all gone, pensions are now based on individuals. If she "paid" NI for, I think, a minimum of 7 years, she can claim a % of the 35 years yo must pay into for a full pension, but only when she becomes 65.

Payments for having a foreign wife stopped in 2010 for new pensions, stopped completely for all in 2020....

She actually got her ni no when i was working in the Uk we also got child allowance , i did get the wifes allowance when a pensioner ,made it by 6 wks would you believe, obviously stopped now after 10yrs was just wondering as she got her ni no about 23 or 4 yrs ago ,would she get anything ? 

Edited by bert bloggs

25 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

She actually got her ni no when i was working in the Uk we also got child allowance , i did get the wifes allowance when a pensioner ,made it by 6 wks would you believe, obviously stopped now after 10yrs was just wondering as she got her ni no about 23 or 4 yrs ago ,would she get anything ? 

Depends on her NI payment records.....

I sorted paperwork out for 3 widows here, 2 got nothing, one from 12 years back got a couple of thousand quid because she was under 45 years old..

Remember, now, male and females are dealt with by their own records which are dealt with at the age of retirement., women 65.

You can go online UK pensions, to fill in a questionnaire on it, or even phone them, l did that with one, they sent the forms, she got a letter back saying sorry.

She doesn't talk to me anymore.....????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

She actually got her ni no when i was working in the Uk we also got child allowance . . . .

There's a rule around NI credits being given for free when claiming family (child?) allowance.  If she's got enough of these (10 years I think) she may be entitled to something.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2022 at 10:08 AM, bert bloggs said:

I cant see many pensioners retiring here in the future,what with rising costs ,frozen pensions and the baht seeming to buck all trends and staying so strong.

Most of my friends who came here years ago are dying off and i dont see any new ones.

Its not the dying bit Bert Bloggs,its just being here,Id like to be gone too,so damned p.issed off with virtually  everything     Had enough sex for 10 lifetimes and the rest,got a bit of baggage tho,there lies the problem  

Having a frozen pension would have seen me off after second year,do not understand how people put up with it,likened to a throbbing toothache

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, bert bloggs said:

My wife lived in the UK  for quite a few yrs and has an ni number although she didnt work long ,does she get a widows pension or anything when i die as we now live in Thailand?

If she has a NI number just sign her up for a government gateway account where she can view her NI contribution record. You may need to 'pretend' to be in the UK to open the account.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2022 at 10:36 AM, Kwasaki said:

What rising costs I can afford to live here, I couldn't have the same standards of living I enjoy in my retirement even with UK pension rises in UK. 

You are right with some things but prices are shooting up here and yes many of us a struggling with a Thai family to support and not too many have pots of gold on diminishing funds and a frozen state pension and yes cut back are necessary and one had to.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 10:15 AM, CharlieH said:

Dont forget "bereavement allowance" think it was 2k on your death, small but worth itt for a box tick. ????

"Bereavement Support Payment consists of an initial lump sum payment of £2,500 (or, if you have children, £3,500).

not after 2015

20 hours ago, jwest10 said:

You are right with some things but prices are shooting up here and yes many of us a struggling with a Thai family to support and not too many have pots of gold on diminishing funds and a frozen state pension and yes cut back are necessary and one had to.

I've been spending 1,000 pounds a month for the last 6 years. Some things have gone up, but my mortgage reducing from 11k/month to 9k/month has absorbed them all.

Inflation, all things considered has been essentially ZERO for me.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I've been spending 1,000 pounds a month for the last 6 years. Some things have gone up, but my mortgage reducing from 11k/month to 9k/month has absorbed them all.

Inflation, all things considered has been essentially ZERO for me.

Pleased for you but many it has not.

Takes short time for frozen pension to hit home,but working on figures from last 11 years  ,pension of 93 quid a week being paid at start, would be a figure of 190 quid a week now for pre 2016 pensioner with serps,graduated pension,pre 96 whatever built into it,that's a loss of 5 and a half thousand per year   especially with ancillary built into it  Working on the principle of doubling every 5 years or so especially with compounding that's figure shoots up to well over 7000 quid loss every year

The thread "best Asian country to live in" surely must be Pi

On 2/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, fredscats said:

Think the word is Savvy Ivor,but you are right,loads of extras handed out,hearing aids/glasses /free NHS/accommodation too,remains to be seen if EU expats keep their unfrozen pensions too,can see the Gateway being busy with contact details being changed

Q     "as a thought if you have an address in the UK how would the dwp know you were here ,and what would they do? ".......A    They would not know/not interested ,and could not do anything even if they wanted (which they don't)

Many of us do not have UK addresses - no family etc.

• Like 1

Whilst I do have family I haven't physically seen them in the flesh since 2004. We correspond by Email or Messenger, but why would I want to bother them

I also have friends in the UK, but why would I want to bother them either, especially as the as the pension people have known that I live in Thailand for 20 years.

If people want to do that and they get away with it, luck to them. 

But me, I will just carry on as I am now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Whilst I do have family I haven't physically seen them in the flesh since 2004. We correspond by Email or Messenger, but why would I want to bother them

I also have friends in the UK, but why would I want to bother them either, especially as the as the pension people have known that I live in Thailand for 20 years.

If people want to do that and they get away with it, luck to them. 

But me, I will just carry on as I am now.

Then my reply and maybe the thread is irrelevant to you.  If Brit, you obviously don't care about pension increase / NHS access, as I think that's what the thread was about.

I was simply replying to the thought of 'no family in UK' so assuming no option to maintain address and pension increases/access.  Surely everyone know someone, at least one friend, who wouldn't mind you using their address to maintain pension increases.  More a rhetorical attempt at humour than actually replying, since a Yank.

Serious side, even my anti-social self has a couple mates if asked would have no prob with using their address, I hope, though still have 3 brothers there.  Though I do seem to be outliving most friends.  I actually use my now SIL's house, since brother's recent marriage, and he sold the house I gave him, so had to change address recently for my USA brokerage / banking, as company/union pension can only be deposited in USA bank.   Gov't pension / Soc Sec, I use Thai address / PO Box, since USA doesn't do the pension freezing thingy.  Thankfully.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Madgee said:

Fraud ... Pure and simple.

Yes it is, and why my original reply had 'choices / adapt' in it.  If not wanting to commit fraud. 

I try my best not to.  Have to admit, some rules & laws, simply are wrong, in my mind, and didn't vote or agree to them, no matter how binding they are since passed.  

Violated more than a few, in every country & here.  As I suspect most have, especially with respect to 2 of them.  And I'm not even thinking about traffic laws, as I fit right in with the locals when it comes to driving here ????

So I never take the high road, unless it involves children.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

I wonder,if you were claiming the yearly rise and then died ,what would happen to the person who owned the address you were using,could they be prosecuted? Just a thought.

no fraud involved,says so DWP regulation,not on own pension,anyway no matter where he died

Attempting to work out a pre 2016 pensioner would likely be on before in this thread,stated approximate 190 quid a week with various add on.

Did not include the opted out,which if included would have the pensioner on probably be on 210 a week if no opt out

If opted out and in half decent defined pension ( gov/private) would be probably twice as much as his OAP pension  ie 600 quid a week

Another mistake ,if in good health before retirement why take the 25% tax free element,that with compounding after 10 years or so would put him on something like 700 quid a week

Reading of  OAP campaigner groups in UK now, no less demanding no more % increases to pensions but a flat 40 quid a week increase to state pension next time around across the board  That would be something else,they will probably achieve too as election time looms