Jane Fonda, Joaquin Phoenix join climate protesters outside U.S. Congress

rooster59

Jane Fonda, Joaquin Phoenix join climate protesters outside U.S. Congress

2020-01-10T212903Z_1_LYNXMPEG091LJ_RTROPTP_4_CLIMATE-CHANGE-JANE-FONDA.JPG

Jane Fonda speaks during a "Fire Drill Fridays" protest calling attention to climate change at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., January 10, 2020. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Veteran activist and actor Jane Fonda was joined by fellow Hollywood stars Joaquin Phoenix and Martin Sheen at the foot of the U.S. Capitol building in Washington on Friday, where they demanded action on climate change alongside other protesters.

"The climate crisis makes our nation and all nations less secure," said Fonda, sporting a red hat as she was cheered on by a crowd that included Sheen.

She also spoke of the fires in Australia, which have ravaged tens of thousands of square miles (km) of bushland and caused at least 27 deaths. In Sydney earlier on Friday, thousands of angry protesters had demanded that the Australian government do more to combat climate change.

Last week, Phoenix used his acceptance speech at the Golden Globes - where he won an award for best actor in a drama film - to call on people to make "sacrifices" to slow down global warming.

He returned to the theme at the rally. "The meat and dairy industry is the third leading cause of climate change," he said. "There is something that you can do today, right now and tomorrow by making your choice about what you consume."

(Reporting by Reuters TV; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-11
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Climate change is a lot easier to talk and protests about than to actually implement it fully, to achieve good results by bring world climate to safe levels will mean changing everything we know, do and like today, i will mean reorganising giant industries such as farms, food productions and just about anything else on earth to comply with having better climate situations, and that mean reorgensins, rearranging and reinventing what we know today at the costs of huge disruptions and trillions of dollars in losses and no government in the world can or willing to take the plunge as not all voters will agree to it... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Climate change is a lot easier to talk and protests about than to actually implement it fully, to achieve good results by bring world climate to safe levels will mean changing everything we know, do and like today, i will mean reorganising giant industries such as farms, food productions and just about anything else on earth to comply with having better climate situations, and that mean reorgensins, rearranging and reinventing what we know today at the costs of huge disruptions and trillions of dollars in losses and no government in the world can or willing to take the plunge as not all voters will agree to it... 

So don't even try? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

3 billion people live on less than $2.50 per day. Do you think they give a fig about the climate?! They are just trying to survive 

The earth is about 5 billion years old, it will be here a long time after humans have become extinct

The conceited self righteous attitude of these bourgeoisie lefties makes me sick, talking about saving the planet, it doesn't need saving!

I'm not worried about the cockroaches. 

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

3 billion people live on less than $2.50 per day. Do you think they give a fig about the climate?! They are just trying to survive 

The earth is about 5 billion years old, it will be here a long time after humans have become extinct

The conceited self righteous attitude of these bourgeoisie lefties makes me sick, talking about saving the planet, it doesn't need saving!

What!! that humanity wants to survive is a "bourgeoisie lefties " agenda ???

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Human beings are great problem solvers. 

We don't need all the pseudo science and left wing hand wringers to assist the govt in pushing new taxes and filling the pockets of villains like Al Gore and his IPCC cronies 

No we don't ,we only need the pseudo science of the right and the petrochemical companies and I am sure we will be fine.????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

At this point climate crisis denialists have become as ridiculous as flat earthers. 

The last time people were identified as 'deniers' was in the Third Reich when people accused of denying the the certainty of "ultimate final victory" were tried and executed.

As for any science being "settled"......................................

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mokwit said:

The last time people were identified as 'deniers' was in the Third Reich when people accused of denying the the certainty of "ultimate final victory" were tried and executed.

As for any science being "settled"......................................

Godwin's law alert!

No, I was just making the point about how dangerous it was to call people who don't share your religion/ideology "deniers"as if yours is the one true religion/an absolute truth. There are other examples I vaguely remember that I could have used but as this is a multinational website I chose a recent one which people from the greatest spread of nationalities would recognise.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

No, I was just making the point about how dangerous it was to call people who don't share your religion/ideology "deniers"as if yours is the one true religion. There are other examples I vaguely remember that I could have used but as this is a multinational website I chose a recent one which people from the greatest spread of nationalities would recognise.

Oh please. 

This isn't about religion or ideology.

The climate crisis is obviously real. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Oh please. 

This isn't about religion or ideology.

The climate crisis is obviously real. 

It has become something of a cult that has been hijacked by some for their own political ends. Now that the Left have got hold of it you cannot believe anything that is said.

It does seem that there are material changes taking place in our climate, but the causes and the certainty this is a man made tipping point are not as certain as the MSM would have us believe. T

While it may seem that the best way to proceed would be to proceed 'as if' - the actuality of doing that is massive as one poster above has outlined. Celebrities giving up their priovate jets is not enough.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2