Going out with affluent Thai family, being the eldest… who pays?

henrik2000

10 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

Hi all, thanks all for your good advice

Hi

you are welcome

good luck and please let us know how it goes finally

(And not only who ended to pay the bill)

for some reasons we have rarely the following adventures

good or bad any experience is good to share imo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Hi all, thanks all for your good advice! I do know that recommended book "Thailand Fever". It's mainly about marrying ex-prostitutes. But i leave that to the real Thaivisa pros like you guys. Gullible newbie me won't touch that for now.

Smug much? My guess is that some of the responses rang true and hit a nerve. Good luck in your dating adventures anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Hi all, thanks all for your good advice! I do know that recommended book "Thailand Fever". It's mainly about marrying ex-prostitutes. But i leave that to the real Thaivisa pros like you guys. Gullible newbie me won't touch that for now.

Don't forget to post an update on how the meal went.

• Like 2

Henrik, here's my advice and like with others it's just my experience from the past. 

My very first Thai girlfriend was a gal I actually met back home. When we came to Bangkok to meet her (rich) family her father paid for all of us 6 people) in a relatively expensive restaurant. 

When I was going out with my wife and her friends which were a mix of rich and middle class the bill was always split equally - no exceptions. When I was going with her family I would always pay for it simply because they did so much for us I simply had to. However meeting a family after such a short time is a bit unusual.... You have to ask yourself why is that? A decent Thai woman, no matter how old and ugly won't be in a rush to do this unless she is absolutely certain about her future with you. 

One worrying aspect is that you seem to have firured out how much each of her family members make? My Chinese girlfriend who dresses like million bucks and drives a nice car unfortunately doesn't make anything close to 100k working for international company (I asked and she honestly answered) 

Did you also ask or are you imagining numbers in your head? 

Never assume anything. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 2:38 AM, baansgr said:

If you were Thai, the bin would be shared...fair same policy applies you being a Foreigner...pay you and your dates way, let the others pay theirs...nowt wrong with that

My farang buddy looks at the bill (his wife checks it first) then he says casually 'I will pay 50%, the balance, xxxBaht up to you guys and he puts a clean plate in the midle of the table and quickly puts down his 50% and goes back to whatever he was engaged with before the bill came.

After a few minutes his wife checks the total cash on the pate and says 'enough' or 'we need 200Baht more' etc., and perhaps says '30Baht each' or something similar to which her husbanb responds with 60Baht (adding 'for 2 people') . 

If the situation is becoming drawn out the wife takes her husbands wallet and does a final top up. 

It seems to work quite well.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:31 AM, mstevens said:

Meeting family of a Thai lady you’re dating usually is an indicator the relationship is getting serious. Kinda surprised she wants you to meet her family so soon. 

Totally agree with mstevens, why on Earth would this Thai woman want to invite a farang she's never met in person to spend all this time with her family during the same week she meets the farang. She is either

1) a nutter; and/or

2) brilliantly freeloading for free stuff with an obviously naive farang controlled by his groin-brain; and/or

3) a devilish practical joker whose Skype account is going to be blocked before naive farang arrives. and/or

4) completely made up by the troll OP.

If the OP is not trolling, then he's about to enter the start of a chapter in his life where all money disappears.   

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MiNombreEsFicticious said:
On 1/12/2020 at 9:31 AM, mstevens said:

Meeting family of a Thai lady you’re dating usually is an indicator the relationship is getting serious. Kinda surprised she wants you to meet her family so soon. 

Totally agree with mstevens, why on Earth would this Thai woman want to invite a farang she's never met in person to spend all this time with her family during the same week she meets the farang. She is either

1) a nutter; and/or

2) brilliantly freeloading for free stuff with an obviously naive farang controlled by his groin-brain; and/or

3) a devilish practical joker whose Skype account is going to be blocked before naive farang arrives. and/or

4) completely made up by the troll OP.

If the OP is not trolling, then he's about to enter the start of a chapter in his life where all money disappears.   

yeah right and yesterday i had a date with a mid 30 slim beautiful single thai lady medical doctor and she insisted on picking up the tab

Edited by atyclb

On 1/11/2020 at 11:08 PM, kingofthemountain said:

If someone in the group is very comfortable financialy and he takes the bill by himself

or the waiter give the bill to him, don't propose or insist to share, it's a ''saving face'' thing and you could embarrass him (And all the others) with your request to share letting think that you are not sure he is not healthy enough to pay.

I haven't read all of the pages (seven in total);

When we are in Thailand, we must forget what we have learned in our respective countries;
here it is always the richest who pays the bill;
It also suits me very well, so it is very rare that I pay at the restaurant. :giggle:

Edited by Assurancetourix