Thai elephants march in silence for Australian bushfires

webfact

24 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Well isn't that just lovely ....  such a wonderful thought and awareness of what does really happen outside thailand.

Well done students  !!  lovely kids indeed... 

I thought this was said in poor taste, then I looked and saw who the poster was.

Joey Carbstrong's (vegan activist) made a very poignant comparison between those millions of animals burned in the bushfires and those millions of pigs who get gassed (lungs burned from c02) in Australian slaughterhouses each year for an unnecessary end product.

I personally support Carbstrong's view on this as much as i sympathize with the huge and awful loss of Australia's wondeful, beautiful native animals.

It would have been nicer if Elephants weren't exploited in the Thai tribute in the OP

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, z42 said:

I thought this was said in poor taste, then I looked and saw who the poster was.

Joey Carbstrong's (vegan activist) made a very poignant comparison between those millions of animals burned in the bushfires and those millions of pigs who get gassed (lungs burned from c02) in Australian slaughterhouses each year for an unnecessary end product.

I personally support Carbstrong's view on this as much as i sympathize with the huge and awful loss of Australia's wondeful, beautiful native animals.

It would have been nicer if Elephants weren't exploited in the Thai tribute in the OP

not interested in your garbage media ...  pls don't post me again

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, djayz said:

To a certain extent I fully understand your point and disappointment. However, let's be realistic; people, students, elephants, whoever in country x, y or z holding posters really aren't doing tiddly squat for the animals, or people, who are actually suffering. If they really, really want to make a difference, then they shoukd send donations, food packages, blankes, etc., etc., etc. to the people and animals. 

Sorry to tell you this, but a group of people in a land far, far away holding posters don't help feed the homeless and hungry people or animals of Australia. 

I'm really not trying to deride you, but a few of the other posters' comments (e.g. khunpa, #6, misterwhisper, #3) were much more down to earth than yours. 

Seriously, how can you take an article or people who state "The elephants are really sad what's happening for their cousins in Australia" seriously? I mean really?!  It sounds like something a person with special needs might say. 

it's just Thailand's way of thinking .....  they are definitely different.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

it's just Thailand's way of thinking .....  they are definitely different.  

We are all different. I would've found the adjective "simple" more befitting. 

• Like 1

Repeat what posted other day: checked air quality in Sydney & it was better than Pattaya. Bangkok and Canberra in same ball park.

"We are burning our fields so that Thai people can 'feel the pain' same as Australian cousins" might be suitable inane statement

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick501 said:

Had the joy of seeing this guy recently in Khao Yai NP.   Elephants how they are supposed to be.

Most captive elephants (including all performing elephants - ie: accompanied by a mahout) are tortured from a young age using "bull hooks".  The 4 inch spike on the hook is jabbed in to their hide, their flesh ripped, and they are shown the blood.  This is repeated until the elephants perform unnatural acts out of fear compliance.  This includes the elephants in the parade.

Nice gesture from the children, but I suspect the wild animals of the Australian bush are shedding a tear for the captive elephants.  I certainly do every time I see one.

image.jpeg

Another off topic reply.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, fantom said:

This is what is known as virtue signalling

Yeah, show a bit of cooked up sympathy and maybe will get a few more Australian tourists. Mind you it was nice that the elephants marched in silence, normally they would have been going on and on about their operations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Mabey those primitive flaming lanterns, launced into the night sky, should be reconsidered by those who think they are a Thai cultural necessity ...

Are you suggesting that they floated all the way over to South Eastern Australia and

caused the bush fires?

I doubt the kids know how grave the situation is in parts of Australia and I don't really get the link between elephants and Aussie wildlife but at least the kids are learning there are other places outside Thailands border and things that can go wrong in a monumental way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

Are you suggesting that they floated all the way over to South Eastern Australia and

caused the bush fires?

Don't be silly! but I am saying these balls of fire( as romantic as they look floating aimlessly in the  night sky), fall to the earth and cause damage .......please goggle the german ape zoo fire of jan 2020 caused by a launched flaming sky lantern...have a good day sir..

Edited by mok199
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, geoff65 said:

First of all did you make a donation?? your pretty quick to troll this post and find an opportunity to thai bash. Second of all you  have no idea what your talking about. No one is hungry no one is homeless(living on the streets) and we don't need blankets and we have thousands of people looking our injured animals. Everyone in this country gets looked after very well no matter what disasters occurs and what people lose. As an Australian, Thanks to the primary school students for there thoughts and prayers unlike some who would rather go off topic and talk <deleted>.

Those who did contribute, the Australian people thank you very much.

How was my reply an attempt to troll this post? I have as much right to reply to it as you do. 

Where in my reply did I bash the Thais? That's a figment of your imagination I'd say. 

So you're telling me that the people who lost their houses in the fires are not homeless? Maybe you ought to look up the word "homeless" in a dictionary. Nowhere in my reply did I imply they were living on the streets. That was your interpretation of the word.

So if the animals are not hungry, please explain why food is being airlifted into the scorched areas for them? 

I'm fully aware at just how well prepared Australia is for this and other natural events and was not trying to imply they needed help. So my apologies on that point if I made you feel like I was implying otherwise - which I was not. 

While the gesture of the students was really nice, it was nothing more than that - just a gesture. But hey, if you believe that collectively thinking happy thoughts achieves anything, then by all means you continue believing that. Like most of the points in your reply, it says a lot about your mental age.

I'm sending you lots of happy thoughts right now skippy. Can you feel them? Have a nice day.

• Sad 1

On 1/13/2020 at 10:07 PM, Greer said:

I hoped.... but then my hopes were dashed - AS USUAL - the number of <deleted> posting smarmy comments, and just being a bunch of pricks instead of thinking of the larger picture. Animals in Australia are dying, and here we have Thai students, elephants and mahouts, all coming together in the spirit of support of Australian wildlife... but few even have the decency to give a positive comment in support of those involved.

You are all so ready to find fault with everything - especially when it is something Thai - what a totally sad bunch of fart-brained bar-stool warriors you really are.

Jeez man, you must be young..  Have you never heard of laughing in the face of adversity.  Australians do it every day.  Real ones that is.

Anyway I thought elephants were afraid of mice.  Kangaroos are a bloody big mouse.

• Haha 1