Canada's Trudeau: Iran plane victims would be alive had there been no regional tensions

webfact

3 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Unfortunately, this statement is simply a confirmation of preconceived biases. You are, of course, correct. Changing anyone of a number of factors could result in wildly different results. This is a primary axiom of chaos theory. In this case, anyone of the following events could have prevented the tragedy:

1. Trump could not have acted to kill Soleimani

2. Iran did not need to respond with missile strikes

3. Iran did not need to mistakenly hit a passenger airliner

4. The airliner did not need to take off an hour late

5. Boeing did not need to make a 737 to be shot down

6. The people on board the airline did not need to choose to travel that day

7. ...etc.

Which one of these specific factors you choose to blame for the tragedy represents the bias that you already possess. However, each point in the chain was equally important, and nobody could possibly have forseen the specific outcome in advance.

Personally, I think primary responsibility lies with the Denny Party that established Seattle in 1851. If Seattle were not there, then there would have been no Boeing as we know it today, and this probably would have resulted in an aircraft with a slightly different flight profile that would not have been accidentally shot down.

I do understand the human need to blame someone that you already dislike for a tragedy, but the fact remains Trudeau's comments are nothing more than a very common emotional outburst, rather than any kind of logical thinking.  They don't actually help the situation, and Trudeau, as a politician, should know this. One can only conclude he is making this statement for a very specific political purpose.

You seem to have conveniently left off your list "USA lied the public into an illegal war in Iraq that killed hundreds of thousands of civilians and destabilized the region in the first place".  

What you seem to have concluded is if a mouse farts in Africa, it is just as likely to down a plane and kill passengers as an assassination of a military general. Maybe on paper somewhere in fantasy world, but that is not how things actually work. 

What I am stating is not biased at all. It is supported by the death figures for the past 20 years in the region we are discussing. The source of destabilization, death, loss of innocent civilian life is consistently the fault of US occupation and conflict escalation in the region. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that Solemeni guy killed thousands....he needed to be put down before the number got much bigger.  People are in Iran, it's dangerous.  Canada is like the step-child America never needed but will likely take care of it forever, since the roles will never reverse.  Iran is full of drugs and terrorists, let's not forget the danger there.  Canada needs to act strong against Iran, and trying to blame Trump is like trying to blame America for trying to take out Hitler but only after he killed around the world.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

And if “...Iran’s second in command...” wasn’t a murdering terrorist he wouldn’t have been on the kill list.

That is not a particularly relevant point.

Who was the most vocal when Russia was accused of assassination on foreign soil, branding it totally unacceptable.

Who was the most vocal over the Saudi assassination on foreign soil, branding it totally unacceptable.

Answers on a postage stamp.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, mogandave said:

More likely killing the terrorist saves thousands of lives. 

Iran’s retaliation is what killed the “176 innocent people”, and the number would have been much higher had they been more successful with their missile attack. 

>>More likely killing the terrorist saves thousands of lives.

..how? A general is replacable and Trump's idiocy has now radicalized thousands more martyrs.

>>The extermination was the culmination of a nine month operation, not a whim. 

..Baloney..that contradicts the imminent danger excuse that Trump has since backtracked on.

>>The Obama nuclear deal with Iran was ridiculous as was his abandonment of Iraq. 

..Obama's nuclear deal according to independent inspectors was working. Because of Trump, Iran has now ditched all previous impediments. Go figure who was more effective in containing Irans' nuclear program!

>> abandonment of Iraq? (is that anything like abandoning Kurds to make way for Russia, Turkey and ISIS?) Isn't it Trump's boast that he will halt endless wars and bring the troops home?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dexterm said:

>>More likely killing the terrorist saves thousands of lives.

..how? A general is replacable and Trump's idiocy has now radicalized thousands more martyrs.

Are those the people protesting in Iran now? 

>>The extermination was the culmination of a nine month operation, not a whim. 

..Baloney..that contradicts the imminent danger excuse that Trump has since backtracked on.

“Baloney” seems to just about all you know about it. 

A terrorist pig is by definition an imminent danger, the world is a better, safer place because he’s dead.

>>The Obama nuclear deal with Iran was ridiculous as was his abandonment of Iraq. 

..Obama's nuclear deal according to independent inspectors was working. Because of Trump, Iran has now ditched all previous impediments. Go figure who was more effective in containing Irans' nuclear program!

Working how and for who? Inspectors that have to give advance notice of inspection is the same as no inspection at all. In any event, it was only ever designed delay Iran’s nuclear armament, not stop it.

It needs to be stopped, not delayed.  

>> abandonment of Iraq? (is that anything like abandoning Kurds to make way for Russia, Turkey and ISIS?) Isn't it Trump's boast that he will halt endless wars and bring the troops home?

Something like that yes, but much worse. Had Obama not pulled out (against the advice of virtually all his advisors) it wouldn’t have been an issue. 

To be clear, in my opinion, Trump abandoning the Kurds was shameful. It was the worst thing he has done done as President. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tug said:

Cause and effect ,trump Welching on the nuclear treaty attempting to strangle a nations ecomemy = trashed embassy= trump killing a foreign general (personally I’m glad he’s dead)=a response from Iran = a trigger happy scared Iranian= an airliner shot down = a big fat unessary mess cause and effect my deepest condolences to all affected by this foreign policy fiasco 

you forgot the steps that started it all. 1 Obama signed the Iran nuclear deal with Iran and the rest of the world. 2 tRumplethinskin hell bent on dismantling Obama's legacy pulls the USA out of the deal.

Edited by cheapcanuck
Correction

6 minutes ago, sucit said:

You claimed Soleimani was a terrorist pig who deserved to die.

Let me know the things he has done that are worse than US actions in the region: fabricating an illegal war in Iraq and killing 200k innocent civilians in said illegal war.

(and mind you, this us just a single example of the countless wars going on for the last 20 years)

Again, what did Soleimani do that was worse than that? Be specific. Just calling someone a "terrorist pig" does not count. Somebody can call you that, right? But that would not make it true. What actions did he tale to make him a terrorist pig, specifically worse than US actions. Because, if you can't name anything, and you certainly can't, the logic you are applying to Soleimani should apply to the leaders in the US. 

Still waiting for you to answer my question. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, samran said:

Sorry that I don’t post in pre-approved breibart-speak. 

Maybe you can dazzle us with some more emoji use?

Awww sounds like someone’s been beating off to vice news /cnn/msnbc/Fox News (you like your finger on the pulse ) everything that comes out of your mouth is regurgitated typical limp wristed buzz word bs . Keep on keeping on my little tofu warrior .

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

Are those the people protesting in Iran now? 

The people protesting are against the shooting down of the airliner, in my experience iranians are very nice people.

“Baloney” seems to just about all you know about it. 

A terrorist pig is by definition an imminent danger, the world is a better, safer place because he’s dead.

If that was correct then pompeo could easily say what attacks were imminent. Why did trump say 4 embassies were subject to imminent threat but refused to warn them of that threat. They also are not carrying on with that bs, its now moved to a deterrence policy.

Working how and for who? Inspectors that have to give advance notice of inspection is the same as no inspection at all. In any event, it was only ever designed delay Iran’s nuclear armament, not stop it.

It needs to be stopped, not delayed.  

And now it is increasing. Go figure.

Something like that yes, but much worse. Had Obama not pulled out (against the advice of virtually all his advisors) it wouldn’t have been an issue. 

To be clear, in my opinion, Trump abandoning the Kurds was shameful. It was the worst thing he has done done as President. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Awww sounds like someone’s been beating off to vice news /cnn/msnbc/Fox News (you like your finger on the pulse ) everything that comes out of your mouth is regurgitated typical limp wristed buzz word bs . Keep on keeping on my little tofu warrior .

So where is the breitbart evidence.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sujo said:

So where is the breitbart evidence.

To be perfectly honest I had to google who breitbart are (yes I’m sorry I’m using google again) I think he’s stuck in some sort of vortex where every time he mentions fox/breitbart with someone he doesn’t agree with he gives him self an imaginary jazz hand . Next he will be coming out with the killer - you must be a racist /xenophobe/homophone /islamaphobe .... take your pick as you know when someone is as generic as our esteemed friend it’s for certain coming my way . 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Still waiting for you to answer my question. 

What you and I have 100% established:

You have called Suleimani a terrorist pig who deserves to die, yet you have no idea what he did! You simply repeat things you hear Sean Hannity say. That is amazing.

You also have no idea what he has done relative to the US occupying actions in the region. Meaning, is the US a more destabilizing and murderous force in the region, or was he? 

You do not have any actual arguments, so you deflect. 

I consider my job done here. I will let others pick up any scraps there are left of your (nonexistent) argument. 

Edited by sucit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1