Liverpool For Champions League Glory Again !

scousemouse

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it could be a tough one tonight, id be happy with the point away from home but id be more than happy with the win. Gerrards back and Torres will be making his champ league debut.

There will be no Xavi Alonso as he's aggravated a foot injury.

Hopefully this will mean Rafa will play Mascherano in the middle with Gerrard and 2 strikers up front.

Usually Rafa would have Sissoko as the holding man in midfiels and 1 striker up front but Sissoko hasnt made the journey to portugal so it looks like Rafa will have to go with 2 up front.

I havent seen us play that bad for a long time, still im very happy with the point. Away at Porto on paper was probably our hardest fixture maybe away in Turkey aswell so a point in either of those games, then win all our home games and then try not to lose in France and were on our way.

I havent seen us play that bad for a long time, still im very happy with the point. Away at Porto on paper was probably our hardest fixture maybe away in Turkey aswell so a point in either of those games, then win all our home games and then try not to lose in France and were on our way.

Same thoughts exactly Jared , I havent seen us play that bad since Villa away last seaso ( 0-0 :o ).

The point will do though and I reckon we'll get the group won with our home games.

Same thoughts exactly Jared , I havent seen us play that bad since Villa away last seaso ( 0-0 :o ).

The point will do though and I reckon we'll get the group won with our home games.

Think you should be happy with the point, always tricky over in Porto. Anyway a better result than Moronios boy's :D

Think you should be happy with the point, always tricky over in Porto. Anyway a better result than Moronios boy's :D

I'm sure the mancs will become the first english team to win in Europe this year out in Portugal.

The game is on ubc live and the arsenal game is on thai tv live and ubc delayed.

I'm sure the mancs will become the first english team to win in Europe this year out in Portugal.

The game is on ubc live and the arsenal game is on thai tv live and ubc delayed.

Wouldn't bet on it, our record on our travels in recent seasons has been particulary inspiring. I do hope you are right though. I certainly will not be watching the Arsenal game after having to sit through the Donkey Derby on Saturday night :D:D

The mancs won AGAIN 1-0 :o

I bet you lot fancy your chances against Chelski this weekend :D :

Sporting Lisbon 0-1 Man Utd 999999.gif

</B>

Cristiano Ronaldo scored a second-half header on his return to Sporting Lisbon to ensure Manchester United's Champions League campaign started with a victory.

Ronaldo won warm applause from the home fans for his subdued response to converting Wes Brown's cross after 61 minutes of a low-key encounter.

Wayne Rooney made a quiet comeback after recovering from a broken foot. And United were grateful to keeper Edwin van der Sar, who made superb saves from Liedson and Tonel.

o.gif

Rooney, as expected, was restored to United's line-up for the first time since sustaining his injury in their opening Premier League fixture against Reading.

Carlos Tevez dropped down to the bench, but Rooney and Ronaldo fed on scraps in a first 45 minutes in which United seemed set on containment.

Van der Sar made a stunning save to keep them on level terms after 27 minutes, diving to save one-handed from Liedson's rising drive.

Nani, another United star returning to his former club, saw a shot deflected narrowly wide after 32 minutes, but then picked up a yellow card for a reckless challenge on Miguel Veloso.

Ronny audaciously tried his luck from 35 yards from the resulting free-kick, but Van der Sar saved comfortably.

Ronaldo started to influence affairs after the break, sending in a cross which was just too high for Ryan Giggs, who failed to control his header.

He made no mistake with his own headed opportunity as United took the lead after 61 minutes.

Brown was the creator with a fine right-wing cross, which Ronaldo diverted past Vladimir Stojkovic with a diving header.

Ronaldo's celebrations were muted as Sporting fans generously applauded his goal, against the club he left four years ago, aged 18.

Nani almost made it a double for United's former Sporting stars with a swerving long-range effort that Stojkovic palmed to safety with 20 minutes left.

It was the signal for Sir Alex Ferguson to withdraw Rooney, who had made a very quiet return after injury, with Louis Saha coming on.

Van der Sar had been excellent for United, and he showed his quality again when he turned away Tonel's header when it looked certain he would turn home Veloso's cross. Ronaldo left to a standing ovation with four minutes left, but limping slightly, which will be a worry with Chelsea awaiting Manchester United this weekend.

And how long will Arsenal's run last :o ????? :

Arsenal 3-0 Sevilla

999999.gif

Arsenal made a confident start to their Champions League campaign with a comfortable win over Sevilla.

Cesc Fabregas' shot deflected in off Julien Escude to put Arsenal ahead at the break, with Jesus Navas and Freddie Kanoute going close for the visitors.

Robin van Persie made it 2-0, tapping in from Fabregas's free-kick and Sevilla never threatened to come back. Eduardo sealed the points in injury time with a cool finish after good work by Alexander Hleb and Fabregas.

The Champions League debutants showed they were not daunted by the occasion when Navas's long-range shot fizzed just over the top of Manuel Almunia's goal.

But having survived this early scare, Arsenal went on the attack themselves, calling Sevilla keeper Andres Palop into action twice in quick succession.

First, Van Persie drifted across the boundary of the box before his off-balance shot forced Palop to flap the ball clear.

Shortly afterwards, Palop spilled Flamini's daisy-cutter shot but redeemed himself by pouncing at the feet of Emmanuel Adebayor who was following up.

o.gif

Palop could hardly be blamed when Fabregas put Arsenal ahead, as he looked to have the shot covered until the deflection off Escude sent the ball to the opposite corner of the net.

Tomas Rosicky limped off shortly after the restart as the game took a while to get going in the second half, but just as Arsenal were starting to feel a one-goal lead was not enough, the second goal came along.

Fabregas curled in a free-kick from the left after a foul on Flamini, and Bakary Sagna's flicked header put it right on the foot of van Persie, who thumped it into the roof of the net from two yards out.

Adebayor's physical presence caused the visitors problems all night, and he came within inches of making it 3-0 with a superb diving header from Sagna's curling cross which shaved the outside of the post. Arsenal's lead was never seriously under threat, and even when Daniel Alves did manage to curl over a rare cross from the right, the impressive Sagna was first to the ball to clear the danger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully FIFA will see sense and not much will come of this.

Great victory for Celtic :o :

Celtic 2-1 AC Milan 999999.gif

</B>

_44155093_scottmcdonald203.jpg Celtic claimed the scalp of reigning European champions AC Milan thanks to a late goal from Scott McDonald.

Following a dreary hour of play, Celtic captain Stephen McManus forced the ball into the net from a corner kick.

Milan levelled with a Kaka penalty but Celtic snatched victory when Dida failed to hold a Gary Caldwell shot and McDonald netted from close range. A great win was soured with Dida carried off on a stretcher after a fan ran on to the park to confront him.

And the home team could be in hot water with Uefa, although the Brazilian appeared to suffer little more than a cheeky slap.

Celtic and Milan now sit on three points each, with Shaktar Donetsk leading Group D after a win at Benfica.

o.gif

A torrential Glasgow downpour made life difficult for both sides and a messy opening period was littered with stray passes and clumsy challenges.

The game's first shot on goal came after 18 minutes and Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc gathered a skidding long-range drive from Kaka with ease.

The foul count continued to grow at a bewildering rate and the normally noisy Celtic Park was muted with frustration at the wretched stop-start nature of the match.

Six minutes before the interval, Scott Brown managed to guide a shot on target but Dida was not troubled by the busy midfielder's effort from distance.

The game showed no signs of coming to life until Celtic grabbed a goal from nowhere on the hour.

An ungainly touch from Alessandro Nesta resulted in a corner and Paul Hartley's delivery was bundled into the net by McManus at the back post.

AC Milan were almost gifted an immediate equaliser when Andrea Pirlo's deflected free-kick wrong-footed Boruc but the Polish keeper recovered to awkwardly scoop the ball over his crossbar.

However, the visitors were on level terms soon after, following a foolish foul from Lee Naylor on Massimo Ambrosini.

With the ball sailing harmlessly by, the Italian collapsed when the full-back tugged at him and Kaka sent Boruc the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Aiden McGeady fizzed in a shot that Dida spilled as the game threatened to open up at last.

And the home side were rewarded with a dramatic late winner. Caldwell fashioned a shot from the edge of the penalty area and the unconvincing Dida pushed the ball straight into the path of McDonald, who gleefully tucked away the easiest of chances.

And how long will Arsenal's run last :o ????? :

Arsenal 3-0 Sevilla

Van Persie extends Arsenal run

Arsenal FC confirmed their status as the form team in Europe with a 1-0 win over FC Steaua Bucureşti in Group H of the UEFA Champions League.

Dutch class :D

Robin van Persie ensured the Premier League leaders' first trip to the Romanian capital was a memorable one, scoring the only goal of the game at the Steaua Stadium after 76 minutes to make it two group wins out of two and extend their unbeaten run in all competitions to 19 games.

there ya go scouse :D

Edited by MiG16

Hopefully FIFA will see sense and not much will come of this.

Yeah i hope so. Did you see the way the Goalie dropped like a sack of spuds. I don't condone it but the guy only tickled his chin :o

He's spent to long in Italy, theya are brilliant at the theatrics. Just like Matterazi when Zidane touched him.

I don't hold out to much sense with UEFA, they will throw the book at Celtic.

A bit harsh if they do.

I agree, but their track record with dealing with British clubs seems to be a little harsher than when dealing with the continental ones. I Hope they see that Celtic can't be respoinsible for the actions of one idiot. As for Dodo, sorry Dida, what a complete and utter ponce.

Edited by mrtoad

A bit harsh if they do.

I agree, but their track record with dealing with British clubs seems to be a little harsher than when dealing with the continental ones. I Hope they see that Celtic can't be respoinsible for the actions of one idiot. As for Dodo, sorry Dida, what a complete and utter ponce.

Agree with you on that one about Dida toadie , Dida is no longer a brazilian , he is an italian :o

• 3 weeks later...

So after a great :D weekend of premiership action its back to the champions league tonight and tomorrow.

In tonights games , the Mancs play away to Dynamo Kiev and that game is on ESPN at 1:45 am.

The Arsenal game against Slavia Prague is on straight after the manc game on ESPN 4:00 ( delayed ).

The game of the night though should be at Ibrox were Rangers play Barcelona. This game kicks off the same time as the manc game ( 1:45 ) but on Star Sports and also Channel 3 thai tv.

Predictions ......... should be a good night for the english teams , I can't see Arsenal having any problems against Prague and reckon the mancs are in good enough form to beat Kiev. Only problem for the mancs is Saha has pulled out the squad AGAIN with a "knee" injury , he is the new Darren Anderton ( sicknote :o ).

The tricky one to predict is the Rangers Barcelona game , thats the one I will be watching live :D .

No Torres in turkey :o , at least he should be 100 % fit when we face the gooners on sunday :

Besiktas v Liverpool _44174044_torres203.jpg Torres has been in impressive form in his debut season in England)

Liverpool will again be without striker Fernando Torres for the trip to Turkey because of the thigh injury that kept him out of the derby win over Everton.

Torres, 23, who has been in terrific form since arriving in the summer, pulled up while training with Spain.

Alvaro Arbeloa (thigh) is also out, and Daniel Agger, Harry Kewell and Fabio Aurelio remain long-term absentees.

However, midfielder Xabi Alonso has travelled and could feature after recovering from a metatarsal problem.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Sissoko, Alonso, Pennant, Crouch, Voronin, Kuyt, Babel, Lucas, Hobbs, Itandje.

BIG MATCH STATS

Head-to-heads

Besiktas and Liverpool have never met each other in European competition.

Besiktas have played English opposition on eight occasions, and have won only once (2-0 against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the 2003-04 CL group phase); Liverpool have never beaten a Turkish team away, recording one draw and two defeats. However, the Reds did win the Champions League in Turkey in 2005, beating AC Milan on penalties after being 3-0 down at half-time in the final in Istanbul.

European history

Besiktas are making their fourth CL group stage appearance and their first since 2003-04. They are playing in their 31st European season.

Liverpool are making their sixth CL group stage appearance having made their debut in the competition in 2001. The Reds finished runners-up last season, after losing the final 2-1 against AC Milan.

Current European form

Besiktas have lost their first two matches in Group A without scoring a goal. They are now on a streak of three consecutive CL defeats, since beating Sparta Prague 1-0 on 4 November 2003.

Liverpool are winless in their last three CL matches.

Player and disciplinary info

Besiktas coach Ertugrul Saglam is suspended for this match after being sent off against FC Porto.

Edouard Cisse is Besiktas' most experienced CL player with 32 appearances. Marcio Nobre is their leading career CL goalscorer with three goals (all for Fenerbahce).

Jamie Carragher is Liverpool's all-time record holder with 55 CL appearances for the club. Steven Gerrard and Peter Crouch lead current squad members in CL goalscoring with six a piece.

Other miscellaneous facts

On Saturday, Besiktas won 3-2 at Trabzonspor in their Turkish domestic league clash. They're second in the table, trailing Galatasaray by one point.

Meanwhile, Liverpool emerged victorious in the Merseyside derby 1-2 at Everton, and are fourth in the Premier League, six points behind pacesetters Arsenal.

Besiktas are the only club in Group A that has never won the Champions League.

Definitions of terms used:- Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

So after a great :D weekend of premiership action its back to the champions league tonight and tomorrow.

In tonights games , the Mancs play away to Dynamo Kiev and that game is on ESPN at 1:45 am.

The Arsenal game against Slavia Prague is on straight after the manc game on ESPN 4:00 ( delayed ).

The game of the night though should be at Ibrox were Rangers play Barcelona. This game kicks off the same time as the manc game ( 1:45 ) but on Star Sports and also Channel 3 thai tv.

Predictions ......... should be a good night for the english teams , I can't see Arsenal having any problems against Prague and reckon the mancs are in good enough form to beat Kiev. Only problem for the mancs is Saha has pulled out the squad AGAIN with a "knee" injury , he is the new Darren Anderton ( sicknote :o ).

The tricky one to predict is the Rangers Barcelona game , thats the one I will be watching live :D .

I reckon a score draw at Ibrox , everybody's happy :D .

mate we call saha,,,, balsa boy, he even gets hurt in the warm up :D

see arsenal are 5-0 up and utd 3-1 up, english teams doing very well.

watch rangers and barca, barca look good but rangers are playing like they are away 10 man defence.

mate we call saha,,,, balsa boy, he even gets hurt in the warm up :D

see arsenal are 5-0 up and utd 3-1 up, english teams doing very well.

watch rangers and barca, barca look good but rangers are playing like they are away 10 man defence.

The united game ended up 4-2 and united could have scored a lot more.

Rangers got a well earned draw with Barcelona 0-0.

Arsenal spanked Prague 7-0 , performance of the night.

Lets hope the other english teams can have the same succsess tomorrow night with Liverpool , Chelsea and Celtic (scottish :D ) all in action.

So here's the times for tonights games ,

Chelsea v Schalke 1:45 ESPN

Beskitas v Liverpool 1:45 Star Sports and channel 3 (thai tv).

No sign of the Celtic game though I reckon it will be shown after on a delay.

liverpool game starts at midnight scouse mouse :o

liverpool game starts at midnight scouse mouse :D

I thought I heard them saying that on football focus but in the Bangkok post it says it starts at 1:45 :o ????

Best just leave the t.v. on star sports .

liverpool game starts at midnight scouse mouse :D

I thought I heard them saying that on football focus but in the Bangkok post it says it starts at 1:45 :o ????

Best just leave the t.v. on star sports .

i think im wrong mate. must be the program starting at midnight.

1 hr and 45 hours of build up!!! just as well, we dont get a lot of coverage on espn/star sports in the studio :D