Liverpool For Champions League Glory Again !

scousemouse

Great result for you guys last night, although I say it through gritted teeth. Might kick start your home form, although I have to admit that I hope it doesn't.

Well ......... thanks mrtoad :D:o:D .

Tonights games :

Mancs v Dinamo Kiev 2:45 ESPN and channel 7 ( thai tv )

Barcelona v Rangers 2:45 Star Sports and channel 3 ( thai tv )

( Delayed ) Slavia Prague v Arsenal 5:00 ESPN ( they might be top of the league but they can't get their game shown live in Thailand :D ).

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonights games :

Mancs v Dinamo Kiev

Oy you. We are not playing tonight. United are playing but they are not mancs, they come from outside of Manchester :D

:o

I think I'll do what my signature says. Firts person to translate what it says can have a bottle of Bud at the next footie night. :D

Tonights games :

Mancs v Dinamo Kiev

Oy you. We are not playing tonight. United are playing but they are not mancs, they come from outside of Manchester :D

I think I'll do what my signature says. Firts person to translate what it says can have a bottle of Bud at the next footie night. :D

It's Cornish and means "time for a tea break" :D

I'll collect my beer at the March/April footie night :D

Tonights games :

Mancs v Dinamo Kiev

Oy you. We are not playing tonight. United are playing but they are not mancs, they come from outside of Manchester :bah:

It's Cornish and means "time for a tea break" :D

I'll collect my beer at the March/April footie night :o

:D

That was bloody quick. How did you find it. Googled?

You can have your beer drekley. :bah::D

• 3 weeks later...

Well Arsenal got beat 3-1 by Sevilla but are through anyway.

The mancs beat Lisbon thanks to a sweet injury time free kick from Ronaldo , so there through.

Although Rangers got beat by Suggart they will fancy their chances to do the bussiness at home against Lyon in the final game to go through.

The mancs beat Lisbon thanks to a sweet injury time free kick from Ronaldo , so there through.

Although Rangers got beat by Suggart they will fancy their chances to do the bussiness at home against Lyon in the final game to go through.

Any predictions for tonights game S.M. ?

Guess any win any, any which way, and you'll be doing an Irish Jig down Scotland Road singing "There always be an England'........... :o

Guess any win any, any which way, and you'll be doing an Irish Jig down Scotland Road singing "There always be an England'........... :o

With my Welsh mate :D

Liverpool v FC Porto (Wed)

_44118220_champions_league_203.gif Champions League, Group A match

Date: Wednesday, 28 November

Kick-off: 1945 GMT

Venue: Anfield

Listen: BBC Radio 5 Live

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez looks set to recall Javier Mascherano for the vital Champions League visit of Porto.

The Argentine midfielder was on the bench against Newcastle but is expected to replace Lucas Leiva.

Yossi Benayoun should also return from a foot injury, but Daniel Agger (foot), Jermaine Pennant (shin) and Xabi Alonso (foot) remain sidelined.

Porto have never won in England but coach Jesualdo Ferreira insists his team can end that record at Anfield.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/p...am=1&bbwm=1

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Aurelio, Riise, Benayoun, Gerrard, Lucas, Mascherano, Sissoko, Kewell, Crouch, Kuyt, Torres, Voronin, Babel, Itandje.

Porto team news to follow.

BIG MATCH STATS

Qualification

FC Porto will qualify for the next round if they beat Liverpool. A point will be enough if Olympique Marseille avoid defeat at Besiktas.

Head-to-heads

Liverpool and FC Porto have met three times, including the 1-1 draw in their opening fixture of this group in Oporto.

In the quarter-finals of the 2000-01 Uefa Cup, Liverpool knocked out Porto after a 0-0 draw in Portugal and a 2-0 win at Anfield. The goals were scored by Danny Murphy and Michael Owen.

European history

Liverpool have won the Champions Cup/Champions League five times (1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 and 2005), but were runners-up last season, after losing the final 2-1 against AC Milan.

FC Porto won the Champions Cup in 1987 and the Champions League in 2004.

Current European form

Liverpool ended a four-game winless streak in the CL by beating Besiktas 8-0 in their most recent outing. This was the biggest ever victory in CL history.

Porto are still unbeaten after four CL matches this season.

Player and disciplinary info

Jose Reina and Jamie Carragher have started and completed all of Liverpool's CL matches this season. Midfielder Yossi Benayoun scored the first CL hat-trick of the 2007-08 campaign in the 8-0 thrashing of Besiktas.

If selected, Porto defender Bruno Alves will be playing the day after turning 26. Alves, Jorge Fucile, Jose Bosingwa, Paulo Assuncao and Ricardo Quaresma have not missed a minute of this CL season.

Other miscellaneous facts

Liverpool remained unbeaten in the Premier League by winning 3-0 at Newcastle on Saturday. They lie fifth in the table, six points behind leaders Arsenal.

FC Porto are still unbeaten in the Portuguese league after a 2-0 victory over Vitoria Setubal on Sunday. They are four points clear of Benfica at the top of the table.

Definitions of terms used:- Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Guess any win any, any which way, and you'll be doing an Irish Jig down Scotland Road singing "There always be an England'........... :D

For the Liverpool game the main prediction is how strong the support for Rafa will be and my prediction is VERY :D .

As for the match itself I can see us running out comfortable 2/3-0 winners. I reckon Chelski will get the draw they need to qualify for the knockout stages against Rosenborg. And I also fancy Celtic to be too strong for Shaktar Donetsk at home winning 2-0 :o .

Guess any win any, any which way, and you'll be doing an Irish Jig down Scotland Road singing "There always be an England'........... :D

For the Liverpool game the main prediction is how strong the support for Rafa will be and my prediction is VERY :D .

As for the match itself I can see us running out comfortable 2/3-0 winners. I reckon Chelski will get the draw they need to qualify for the knockout stages against Rosenborg. And I also fancy Celtic to be too strong for Shaktar Donetsk at home winning 2-0 :o .

Fans ready for mass Benitez rally

o.gif

Rafael Benitez will be greeted with a massive show of support from Liverpool fans as he bids to keep the club in the Champions League at Anfield.

The Reds boss has called a halt to his row with club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett over transfer policy ahead of the Group A match with Porto.

Some reports suggest 5,000 fans will stage a rally, marching to Anfield in protest from a nearby pub.

Benitez said: "We need the three points and a win. This is a must-win game."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/p...am=1&bbwm=1

Benitez has launched two public verbal assaults on his bosses, who have shown reluctance to release funds for him to spend in the January transfer window.

But he refused to be dragged into further acrimony so close to Wednesday night's vital match against the runaway Portuguese league leaders.

Fans plan to chant his name non-stop, and Benitez will be more than happy for that image to be carried across the Atlantic.

o.gif

He has also received support from players including Steven Gerrard and Jose Reina, and does not believe he needs to do much to motivate them on Wednesday.

Demonstrations outside the Shankly Gates will be organised by a group named Reclaim the Kop.

Their spokesman, John Mackin, told The Daily Telgraph: "Liverpool Football Club exists not to make money.

"It exists to win trophies and be a source of pride for its supporters.

"It serves no other purpose. Rafa is far and away the most important figure at Anfield, bar none."

Even if Liverpool beat Porto they must also win in Marseille on 11 December to reach the last 16.

Benitez said: "We know what must be done, we must approach the game with confidence and the right mentality.

"We are in good form so we must continue to play in that manner." He has no new injury problems, with Daniel Agger, Xabi Alonso and Jermaine Pennant still long term absentees.

Fans ready for mass Benitez rally

o.gif

Rafael Benitez will be greeted with a massive show of support from Liverpool fans as he bids to keep the club in the Champions League at Anfield.

The Reds boss has called a halt to his row with club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett over transfer policy ahead of the Group A match with Porto.

Some reports suggest 5,000 fans will stage a rally, marching to Anfield in protest from a nearby pub.

Benitez said: "We need the three points and a win. This is a must-win game."

Benitez has launched two public verbal assaults on his bosses, who have shown reluctance to release funds for him to spend in the January transfer window.

But he refused to be dragged into further acrimony so close to Wednesday night's vital match against the runaway Portuguese league leaders.

Fans plan to chant his name non-stop, and Benitez will be more than happy for that image to be carried across the Atlantic.

VERY , VERY BIG :D:D

but more importantly the game is on star sports.

starts at 1am.

macca, english build up, protest

happy days

I think macca is havin one of his many holidays at the moment in England with John Dykes watching premiership footie for free as the both of them were not on tuesdays football focus :D .

I like the game is on thai tv as that means I dont have to get up and shift my arse into the living room at 3 in the morning :D , thai tv in the bedroom for her , ubc in the living room for me :o .

All the signs are there again in 2007 just as they were in 2005 , I strongly predict that Liverpool will will the champions league. We are a better side than 2 years ago and apart from a hiccup against the mancs , are form of late has been superb. If we were allowed to have a bet :o:D then Liverpool would bring the baht home !!!.

Taking a look at the other so called contenders , Chelsea dont have the european pedigree and the atmosphere at stamford bridge is nothing when compared to other venues.

Man U , even though they've got one of the best players in the world ( steven gerrard being the best :D ) in christiano ronaldo , their squad just doesnt look like seeing them through to the end of the year , losing larsson and now the injury to Vidic doesnt bode well for the red devils (superb !!!) , plus with captain Neville out and Rooneys poor form , I can see Man U being happy with the premiership.

That leaves us with psv - no chance!! , Roma - will get beat by united , Valencia - will beat Chelsea but loose to Liverpool in the semi's and both Milan and Bayern are too old. I would love to hear some intelligent opinions on who you think is going to win but I'll still be saying Liverpool !!!!!

I had the whole Liverpool team in my bar in the eighties on their way to play in Australia, the only problem was Craig Johnson he was the only Oz player but missed the flight as he loved LOS and stayed here for a couple of weeks

Good interviews from Spanish radio with Torres and Rafa. Translations posted on and pinched from RAWK:

TORRES

"Jose Ramon: Fernando Torres, Good evening!

Torres:(in a somewhat subdued tone) Hello, good evening.

Jose Ramon: You’re saying like you just got a draw…but you’ve just won the match, put four goals past Porto, two goals from yourself and you come on ‘hello, good evening’ what’s gotten to you?

Torres:[laughs] No, I’m just a bit tired

Jose Ramon: Very tired?

Torres: Tired but very happy, for everything

Jose Ramon: It’s been a really tough week, no?

Torres:…Yeah, we knew we had to win and the way the match turned out with the score 1-1 we couldn’t find a clear way to their goal but at the end after the substitutions the team found a way and we scored three more goals. This is Liverpool, and when things go our away we have a lot of firepower.

Jose Ramon: Tell me about the atmosphere…

Torres: Today it was amazing. For many reasons, because all that was going on this week with Rafa, and the people here when the team needs of them they really support you more than ever and it’s been a gift for all of us. For those that had never lived a night like this before and especially for Benitez because we’ve seen that the supporters are really behind him, above everything else, no? So, we must be really proud because it’s very impressing.

Jose Ramon: Guillem was telling me earlier that they’ve put up a website and it had more than 50, 000 messages, lets save Benitez! ?

Torres: Yeah, I think he’s more than a manager. He’s one of the greats in their history and people feel that way about him and they show it. And we all had an idea that he’s somewhat special here but honestly today it’s been really impressing. I’m really impressed of how much he’s loved by the people, above anything else, even the players.

Jose Ramon: And you? How about yourself, do they love you too?Are you starting to become the star of the team?

Torres: Nah, not the star because…

Jose Ramon: They have many

Torres:…they have other players that are well above but I do feel their affection, the support for my team-mates and with each passing day I’m feeling more of a part of this and happier with everything and at the end of the day those things are reflected on the pitch, no?"

RAFA

"Jose Ramon: Guillem Balagué, good evening

Guillem: Good evening Jose Ramon

Jose Ramon: Liverpool needs to win now in Marseille in order to qualify..?

Guillem: Correct. It’s been a difficult match but with a good result, 4-1 and two goals from Torres, but like you’ve said they need to win in Marseilles in order to qualify. Today’s match began, like Fernando Torres said, two hours before the start of the match. A thousand supporters gathered near a pub close to the stadium and marched towards Anfield carrying banners, signs in support of Benitez, which has carried over to and throughout the match. But let’s have Benitez himself tell you about it. He’s at the gates and about to go home.

Jose Ramon: Hello Rafa, good evening.

Rafa: Hello, good evening

Jose Ramon: Less tension now?

Rafa:[sounds very calm] Yes, I said in the press conference, and it’s true, that I haven’t got any personal problems with the new owners. The only thing was that I was trying to act as a manager to improve my team now for January and for next season and they told me it wasn’t the time now. I didn’t understand why but now things have been, more or less, clarified and once they arrive here we will clear things up. And if meanwhile we can keep winning, then it’s even better.

Jose Ramon: The news we were getting here in Spain was that Benitez was going to leave Liverpool and once the season was over he was leaving Liverpool, and such things…Like things were really bad

Rafa: Yeah, Guillem here, he’s very exaggerated …

Jose Ramon: [laughs]

Rafa: Nah, the truth is that what carries over from England to Spain is usually over-magnified and at the end the situation ,off the record, as Guillem might say, might be of tension but at least I was trying to do things like always before, knowing that my responsibility is to try and win matches and that’s it.

Jose Ramon: Your relationship with the Americans that have bought Liverpool, what is it really like? And do they like football, do they understand it?

Rafa: The relationship was very good. Even when we played Arsenal, which I believe was on October 28th, we had a meeting and it was fantastic. The ideas and the plans for the future…and they were really happy about it. All of a sudden, I don’t know why, something changed and we exchanged information and that’s where the misunderstanding happened. Because we couldn’t speak directly and we had to do it over e-mails and such and we had contacted that way and it was perhaps where we had a ‘misunderstanding’ as they say here. But in the personal aspect, no problems because like I said, the relationship was very good. And as a matter of fact, they have always shown concern for my state of happiness. “We want Rafa to be happy”, “ As long as Rafa is happy”, so it’s been a bit of a surprise and let’s hope we can sort this out and fix everything.

Jose Ramon: Yes because that statement that came out saying “stop asking for players and coach the ones he has”

Rafa: Yes, but I think it was more the interpretation it was given or perhaps the off-the-record things that were written but I don’t think the situation was explained very well because I wasn’t asking for more money as it was believed. I was looking at two free players, and another player at a really good price after selling another player, which would’ve given us actually more money back and that’s where I couldn’t understand things. But to drop this issue which I think has been talked about enough already, the most important thing, I insist, is that I have no personal problem with them or against them and I think it’s the same way for them. And once we get to sit down we will clear up this matter and that’s it.

Jose Ramon: But the important thing is the 4-1 scoreline against Porto and Fernando’s two goals…?

Rafa: Yeah. Honestly, it was a very difficult match because Porto are a very good team with quality and we were wary about their counter-attacking play but we’ve given them six or seven chances to counter-attack against us, it was like we were training “counter-attack, here we go, and again another one” until we were able to settle and we scored the second goal and with Harry Kewell and Crouch on the pitch we gained more control of the ball and were able to win the air battles inside their area and it allowed us to keep the ball further up the pitch and score those goals.

Jose Ramon: How’s Fernando then? How’s he adapting?

Rafa: Fine. Gets better every time. He creates a lot of goal situations, missed a few the other day, but he is able to create for himself and today he’s scored those two goals. I think he’s a player that will continue to improve and will keep growing as a player.

Jose Ramon: And then there’s this webpage that Liverpool supporters created, saverafa! As in save[free] Willy. You’ve become a star over there…

Rafa: No, the truth is…that’s why I say that what is perceived from Spain sometimes is not true. The supporters here are amazing, I am very happy, they give me a lot of support and we try always like Bill Shankly said to make people happy because we are winning matches and they are enjoying it.

Jose Ramon: At 5pm on that webpage saverafa.com, there was more than 50, 000 messages

Rafa: Liverpool have a lot of supporters around the world. At the end, people join together and like I said the supporters are very, very good. This is a city that is used to suffering and that likes for people to fight for their own cause and I think that’s what they’ve tried to show, no? that the fight is for improving the team and I think that for the supporters that is very important.

Jose Ramon: You need to win now in Marseilles

Rafa: Yes, we knew we had to beforehand. Now it’s better because it’s the same thing but we are more confident.

Jose Ramon: Well, alright then. I give you my blessings, lets hope you are lucky.

Rafa: Thank you, cheers.

Jose Ramon: Good luck, manager

Rafa: Thank you , you too"

Edited by KhaoNiaw

All the signs are there again in 2007 just as they were in 2005 , I strongly predict that Liverpool will will the champions league. We are a better side than 2 years ago and apart from a hiccup against the mancs , are form of late has been superb. If we were allowed to have a bet :o:D then Liverpool would bring the baht home !!!.

Taking a look at the other so called contenders , Chelsea dont have the european pedigree and the atmosphere at stamford bridge is nothing when compared to other venues.

Man U , even though they've got one of the best players in the world ( steven gerrard being the best :D ) in christiano ronaldo , their squad just doesnt look like seeing them through to the end of the year , losing larsson and now the injury to Vidic doesnt bode well for the red devils (superb !!!) , plus with captain Neville out and Rooneys poor form , I can see Man U being happy with the premiership.

That leaves us with psv - no chance!! , Roma - will get beat by united , Valencia - will beat Chelsea but loose to Liverpool in the semi's and both Milan and Bayern are too old. I would love to hear some intelligent opinions on who you think is going to win but I'll still be saying Liverpool !!!!!

I had the whole Liverpool team in my bar in the eighties on their way to play in Australia, the only problem was Craig Johnson he was the only Oz player but missed the flight as he loved LOS and stayed here for a couple of weeks

Sounds like the beginning of a great story thaipete , tell us where your bar is and i;ll pop in and have a beer :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Marseille v Liverpool

_44290944_champions_league_203.gif Champions League, Group A

Date: Tuesday, 11 December

Kick-off: 1945 GMT

Venue: Stade Velodrome

Listen: BBC Radio 5 Live

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is fit to start against Marseille despite injuring his ankle during the 3-1 defeat at Reading on Saturday.

But Daniel Agger and Xabi Alonso have not travelled to a game Liverpool must win to guarantee qualification.

Marseille's Samir Nasri returns to the squad having missed Saturday's 2-0 victory over Monaco.

Former Liverpool players Djibril Cisse and Boudewijn Zenden are also named in coach Eric Gerets' 20-man party.

audio_text.gifNews conference: Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez

Marseille (from): Mandanda, Mate, Zubar, Givet, Rodriguez, Faty, Taiwo, Bonnart, M'Bami, Cheyrou, Cana, Nasri, Valbuena, Ziani, Zenden, Oruma, Gragnic, Cisse, Niang, Ayew.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Hobbs, Riise, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Sissoko, Kewell, Babel, Kuyt, Voronin, Crouch, Torres, Itandje.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez:

"We know how to play under pressure. If you want to win trophies, you must play in finals. And for us, this is like a final.

"We need to play really well in Marseille if we are to qualify. But that is football. We need to focus on this, prepare and look to find solutions for this game.

"We have seen a lot of their games in a row, 10 games from when we played them until now, and we know a lot about their team. We are more confident."

<LI>Marseille coach Eric Gerets:

"It will be a fast-paced match and in my opinion, Liverpool are going to try to pass the ball around three times quicker than they did on the first match between us.

"That is their strength and it will be up to us to find the a way to stop that. "I have seen my players improve as well and they don't seem worried - in fact, they are more motivated than ever."

This might turn out to be a good week after all :D .

A great performance from the lads last night , every-time we have 2 wide players in midfield ( last night it was Kewell and Benayoun ) we always look like winning :D .

I don't think any of the teams who qualified in the top position will fancy their chances against Liverpool in the last 16 :o .