Thailand puts high-speed rail project on track with land pledge

rooster59

Thailand puts high-speed rail project on track with land pledge

MARIMI KISHIMOTO, Nikkei staff writer

https___s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com_psh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4_images_7_5_3_3_24473357-6-eng-GB_Cropped-1579333006 DF)CP,タイ高速鉄道契約20200117205706008_Data.jpg

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, center, applauds after signing a contract Oct. 24 for a high-speed rail line connecting three Bangkok-area airports. (Photo by Eri Ishii)

BANGKOK -- Thailand finally reached an agreement for construction of a high-speed rail line linking three airports serving Bangkok, after making a unusual pledge to secure all land for the builders in a timely fashion.

A consortium led by Charoen Pokphand Group, Thailand's biggest conglomerate, signed a contract with the State Railway of Thailand in fall 2019 to build the line linking Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang International and U-Tapao International airports. The route, expected to reduce travel time to one hour, is due to partially open in 2023.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha smiled and clapped at the signing ceremony, where he was next to CP Group CEO Suphachai Chearavanont. But the negotiations that produced the agreement for the 224.5 billion baht ($7.39 billion) project were far less chummy.

CP's consortium won an intense competition against BTS Group Holdings, an urban railway operator, for the priority right to negotiate with the SRT. But a final deal was postponed repeatedly.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Transportation/Thailand-puts-high-speed-rail-project-on-track-with-land-pledge

Nikkei: 2020-01-19

Certainly there is no history of land access being managed properly to allow timely railway construction, too many vested interests and lack of willingness to use compulsory purchase where pooyais are involved. 

Let’s see what the military, not commercially, based Government can do this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

after making a unusual pledge to secure all land for the builders in a timely fashion.

That statement right there is a "beware" statement. No wonder after the highly publicized show yesterday of police and military joined in unison for the first time ever on a parade field, and the show of the new and old new toys they have acquired, I don't reckon anyone gonna say no you can't have my property. Just wish they get more than full market value for the acquisition. BTW, those new armored carriers in the parade look pretty nice and packed with fire power. Wonder how they will eventually use them since they never have wars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Is this real said:

The citizens of Thailand will suffer greatly because this money should be spent on building dams and reservoirs to control the annual droughts and floods.

Unfortunately, the average Thai citizen doesn't matter.

I think you have a point, more good at the moment from a decent water infrastructure

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Certainly there is no history of land access being managed properly to allow timely railway construction, too many vested interests and lack of willingness to use compulsory purchase where pooyais are involved. 

Let’s see what the military, not commercially, based Government can do this time.

what makes you think the current government isn't commercially based?

7 minutes ago, johng said:

U-Tapao is deemed as the Pattaya airport..its owned by the military same as the rest.

That's not even in greater Bangkok, why would they want to connect it with Don Mueng and Suvarbumi

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

my mia Noi owns land right on the path of the projected new rail route  to u tapao she expects a big payday and is busy planting durian trees all over the land  as evry crop and plant on the land adds  1k baht to the price ,, so far she reckon land is worth 2.2m and the crops another 1.4m  for compensation ,, her total cost is actually 410k ,, all the locals near utapao are very clued up on the regulations

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

my mia Noi owns land right on the path of the projected new rail route  to u tapao she expects a big payday and is busy planting durian trees all over the land  as evry crop and plant on the land adds  1k baht to the price ,, so far she reckon land is worth 2.2m and the crops another 1.4m  for compensation ,, her total cost is actually 410k ,, all the locals near utapao are very clued up on the regulations

Keep us posted.

I will be dead in about 15 years so will have no clue what happened.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

"after making a unusual pledge to secure all land for the builders in a timely fashion."

How is this to be understood? The government buys the land for CP with what kind of money (actually it is our taxpayers funds)? And how is CP putting its little fingers onto those land plots? Will it be a governmental joint-venture with CP whereby the government chips in the land? Just wondering ..... 

I'm asking more as some might remember Banharn Silpa-Archa's daughter sold off a plot of land to the Ministry of Finance's mint which she had acquired earlier on at a considerably cheaper price. It was co-incidential, that her 
father was PM at that time - luck just stroke then BIG time! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, asanee said:

And even then its at least 20 years behind, as we now live already in the 21st!

20 years! Your having a laugh. Have you travelled on a train in Thailand and I don't mean sky train or subway, I mean the trains that take 12+ hours to go 800km. Having used them many times I would say more like 50/60 years out of date. 40 years ago I remember using British Rail going home on leave and the trains then were far more modern than Thai. Note: I do like travelling by Thai train as feel safe in 1st class (stopped using second class when someone tried to cut my wallet out of my pocket while sleeping). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

"after making a unusual pledge to secure all land for the builders in a timely fashion."

How is this to be understood? The government buys the land for CP with what kind of money (actually it is our taxpayers funds)? And how is CP putting its little fingers onto those land plots? Will it be a governmental joint-venture with CP whereby the government chips in the land? Just wondering ..... 

I'm asking more as some might remember Banharn Silpa-Archa's daughter sold off a plot of land to the Ministry of Finance's mint which she had acquired earlier on at a considerably cheaper price. It was co-incidential, that her 
father was PM at that time - luck just stroke then BIG time! 

Bangkok post had a article i think last year,the government buys the land,who ever wins the bid(CP has now won this)pays to build and maintain and run the railway,after 50 years(its like a lease)the government gets back all rights to the railway,so in effect the government only pays for building the land,but I'm sure there will be government loans at cut rates for parts of the infrastructure.

I guess time will tell how it all goes.

• Like 2