“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

POTY YINN 2019 Special advice for happy live in Thailand. 

Not be impolite in restaurant before ALL your food/drink order come already. 

This excellent advice works in the whole world, not only in Thailand

never understimate the nuisance power of an underpaid and 

poorly educated\low IQ staff

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Happy to be corrected but is not English taught in Thai schools, is English not the Government approved 2nd language of Thailand and that is why ALL the major highways are signposted in English, most buildings and Government buildings etc all have their name in English script not only Thai script .

Just an observation ????

most buildings and Government buildings etc all have their name in English script not only Thai script .

Not in the city where I live, they don't. I can therefore, only assume you live in Bangkok?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's a very rude sign.

Sure some customers are A-holes but a restaurant is a service business.

Decent service means taking a certain amount of <deleted> with a polite smile.

If I saw that sign I would think the place is run by xenophobes not interested in giving good service and walk away. 

I don't think it's rude at all.

It politely asks patrons not to complain about the English standards of it's

(Presumably Thai) employees. I have no idea what prompted the sign.

Perhaps some customers got angry because the native Thai speakers misunderstood

something. By the looks of the writing style, punctuation and message, I would be

almost certain that the sign was written by an English speaker and not a Thai.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, snowgard said:

I find this is a very stupid comment because how much languages you want learn??? This is Thailand and native english speakers are now rare. So russian, chinese, india, ... are much more important as to talk to some fools in english. ???? ???? ????

Now you actually offend 3 more countries of which most do speak basic English. That aside, English is the world language for Tourism & Hospitality, as well for ASEAN. Nobody ever said Thais should be speaking more than English language either.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

This excellent advice works in the whole world, not only in Thailand

never understimate the nuisance power of an underpaid and 

poorly educated\low IQ staff

Do not mistake poor education with low IQ please

8 minutes ago, Surasak said:

most buildings and Government buildings etc all have their name in English script not only Thai script .

Not in the city where I live, they don't. I can therefore, only assume you live in Bangkok?

Wrong, I live in the North East in a village.

I'll guarantee you they do where you are.

• Like 1

Reading between the lines it says something like "don't eat here unless you speak Thai". OK, I can do. If my income depended on speaking Thai I'd learn Thai. Now if I also have to learn Thai to spend my money then I'm not sure that is OK.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dickincider said:

Went into Tom Tom coffee shop terminal 21. Told them I wanted double expresso, pointed my finger at the board that one, no one could speak English. GF spoke to em, 5 mins later got small cup of coffee ????

double espresso in Thai is adaaappppeeeeellllleassaaapraaesasssooooh. You're welcome.

• Haha 2

I'm an American, and I speak Thai.  In fact I speak Thai quite well, better than the other several foreign languages I speak.  Many Americans are able to speak foreign languages.  In fact, when I worked in three different schools as a teacher, it was generally the Brits and the French who were not even interested in trying to learn Thai.  They still believed in "The Empire", and expected everyone to use English or French.  There are, of course, exceptions, so it is not wise to make generalizations.  I know expats of every nationality who speak Thai daily while there are other long-term expats of every nationality who cannot even count in Thai.  They are very often the ones who complain the most.  I love the sign, by the way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Stop speaking about what you do not really know. You just happen to be staying in your own country, most if not all of your life (so far). 
Also, saying that you would leave for the smallest thing instead of complaining, proves you are the victim of wrong education. 

Complain or leave. 

I choose leave. Up to you.

And:

''Thailand 39 million tourist. Philippine 5.5 million tourist.

Thailand win.'' 

You do understand you make Thailand the laughing stock by that comparison right? It proves how TH fails learning English,
even with so many arrivals, not tourists.

Oh yes. You think tourists come teach thai people English on holiday. 5555

Your country have a lot Chinese tourist. Can you speak Chinese? 

Edit: If the sign would say, Chinese, I would have sympathy for it. English is for the world, anyone serving tourism industries knows it is mandatory.

If “mandatory” why 39 million. 

How many your country last year? 

Pffft

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mann33bkk said:

I am not a native english speaker, So i can complain about thair english. I had to learn english at school andat my own. Because i want to comunicate with people around the world. So if they can not speak english, they are just lazy

They are lazy and not at all interested in you as a foreigner. They don'tont even want to be able to communicate with you. That is actually a form of disrespect.

• Like 2