“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

12 minutes ago, Airalee said:

*She* was fluent in Mandarin.

My reading comprehension is quite good.

But you did not indicate you are fluent in Mandarin, too.

So, are you?

The other option is: the other guy simply did not understand Mandarin. Of course there is the option that you are completely right .... so no need to be upset ????

Edited by Enki
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

That is a silly question sir.  If you did not hear the United States is a country of immigrants.  There are more bilingual speaking people in the USA than most countries in this world.

Even better. How many of the native americans know 2 languages? They're white gringos who are unable to communicate simple stuff when in Mexico, for instance.

Let alone british, ozzies and others.

Edited by miskanotaji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I speak only a few Thai words but I agree with the sign.

Only because I have witnessed too many Falang get upset or even yell at staff at various places because they cannot understand English.  Calling them stupid and the such.

It can be frustrating but not really their fault. Blame the government for not making them learn English in school.

If you want good English interaction with mostly polite people, go to the Philippines 90% there speak.

And usually those complain who can speak English only. The retarded ones.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Airalee said:

The only person I heard of berating a Thai person for their choice of language was a Chinese national.  When the manager of the guesthouse I was staying in spoke to them in fluent Mandarin (She had worked in Taiwan for years), they yelled at her to “Speak English!”

Crazy world.

not all Chinese speak Mandarin. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, miskanotaji said:

Even better. How many of the native americans know 2 languages? They're white gringos who are unable to communicate simple stuff when in Mexico, for instance.

What is your racist point.  Are spaniards so called gringos, how about Italians.  What nationality qualifies for white gringo in your opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

So if they been to university and have a degree in english and they can speak fluent english did they buy the degree how can u be a english and u cant speak english how did they get a degree in english plus over the years how many tourist be visiting this country and thai still  cant speak english so it show u how lazy the tourist can only speak 1 language they are only here for say 2 weeks holiday 

Pot kettle black methinks.

• Haha 1

Maybe it’s my sense of humor but this sign makes me laugh probably written by an Englishman as the spelling was correct and the writing very neat. 
my Thai is limited as cannot get the tones correct,. it’s a very difficult language to learn. However on a serious note,Thai schools only learn broken English as the majority of teachers I’ve met are American and of course when you can write and speak English you notice the mistakes being made. I’ve seen this close up when my son brings home his homework from school and it infuriates me as believe if you can speak and write in English You will certainly Have better job prospects and the opportunity to move overseas and earn a good living. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:
21 minutes ago, Enki said:

Are you sure of this statement?

I have traveled all over the Vietnam 30 years ago and hardly find

few people able to speak french, usualy old ones, All the young generations

was more than happy to speak some english.

Not everyone, but many do. In Isaan it is rare, but sometimes they even have street signs in french, aka Bon Voyage and stuff like that. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Enki said:

IFTFY: English is one of the official languageS of Asean.

And completely irrelevant for 90% of the people living here. Most people in ASEAN speak already 2 or 4 languages, as in Thai, Lao, or Lao and Vietnamese, or Thai, Lao, Chinese and Japanese. The "natural pressure" to learn english is for most asians super low, as they never ever are in a situation their they need it or where it is "useful". E.g.: if you go to Lao or Vietnam, and even parts of Isaan: they speak French. Do you speak French?

An exception is for historical reasons - and the number of local languages: India.

It is somewhat funny that people who most likely speak only _one_single_language_ complain about people who speak several from childhood ...

No I don't speak French I do speak fluent German though does that count?
Anyway of course there are more languages spoken in Asean than just English but English is the prefered language of communication between Asean countries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+the+official+language+of+asean&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH818TH818&oq=what+is+the+official+language+of+asean&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.10247j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Currently, English stands as the official language of ASEAN used by foreign ministers in regional
meetings, decision-making agendas and charter agreements. English was selected due to its
widespread utility in several 
ASEAN countries like Singapore and the Philippines

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Susco said:

It's pretty simple, if you run a business catering to tourists you speak a language they understand, not the other way around.

Chinese? All the native English speakers are too impoverished to come to Thailand unless they didn't max their credit card yet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Traubert said:

They are when they're 100% correct. A conversation I witnessed:

Tourist ; Jack, rocks!

Barman : I'm sorry, sir, what would you like?

T: Jack, rocks! I told you.

B: I'm afraid we don't have any Jackrocks sir, would you like something else?

T: I can see the damn Jack! There, you stupid?

B Oh, Jack Daniels sir, and.....?

T: Rocks! Rocks! Jesus Christ!

Who is speaking the better English there?

I see what the problem there was. Jack is a murican whiskey. A butler clad in tweed speaking Queen's English would not understand how to make such barbarian drinks. Only gin and tonics as the sun sets down on the empire.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Fork = som ส้อม

Spoon = chawn ช้อน

Knife = meed  มีด

That's really basic stuff that I learnt in my first week here 16 years ago.    So it isn't just Thais who don't know the basics of a language, eh ...?

One of the problem is in 50% of the case if you ask a fork in thai they answer you in

Thai ''sorry we don't have oranges'' or they bring you oranges if they have,

Yes i know my pronunciation usually su. ks

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the department stores or other large shops i often see the staff running away when they see me coming...Then when one is close to me i say loud, Chai krab, anneee fallang, pai leo....then they always have to laugh...

In Power Buy or Homepro my wife goes crazy from the annoying sales...also when she's with me...but when i'm alone they don't speak to me at all....mostly they run away. Perfect!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

Jingthing live in Thailand right? 

many years. How your thai language skill? Is difficult learn second language yes? 

You know about how ask for something polite thai language right? Can read thai?

When I work the hotel Phuket before have very angry Aussie scream at taxi driver. They said the place want to go wrong way, so he take them wrong place. 

They so impolite, refuse pay him. They say to me “F idiot, why he not speak English??” 

I answer that if he can know second language he will get high wage job more than be taxi driver. Ask them “taxi driver in Australia study all the language for help tourist? Or not?” 

IMO eglish speaker never learn second language is most impolite. (USA, Aussie, NZ, England). And speak to quickly.

Usually German, Italy, Holland, Korean, Chinese very polite about language misunderstanding. Because they understand it difficult. Have experience.

I've had many taxi drivers in Oz who all speak very good english and are the most part polite, unlike here.

A high % of taxi drivers here in Thailand are idiots, see many stories about them in daily news, from Thai and farang so it's nothing biased ( before you start ).

Thanks.

• Like 1