“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

18 minutes ago, malibukid said:

was in a restaurant many times and Thai not know basics like word for "fork" in English.  i have to ask many times to please bring me a f$##%^ fork.

You know thai word “fork”? 

Or not? Not difficult. Basic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They aren't much better. Some do employ Burmese and Cambodian waiters, that do speak a bit better English.

Do you expect perfect English from all the places you visit? Whats wrong with employing Burmese oand Cambodian waiters? Or even from Timbuktu?

Whats the perfect picture you are demanding for?

Just now, sambum said:

I was in a True Vision office one day a few years ago when an American was really having a go at a young girl behind the desk, shouting and swearing. An English lady grabbed him by the arm and said "Listen, it's not her fault that you don't speak Thai!" Bravo!

Too vulnerable to an easy put-down. Mind you, with an American, I too would be tempted.

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

I was in a True Vision office one day a few years ago when an American was really having a go at a young girl behind the desk, shouting and swearing. An English lady grabbed him by the arm and said "Listen, it's not her fault that you don't speak Thai!" Bravo!

This is total lack of education.

(I cannot write the real word here)

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

As all forums since the dawn of ages, this one has formed it's own cliques. It's often at the end of times, then the forum gets splintered and it's a long slide into oblivion, much like Thailand itself. The potty thing is one of those.

Many thanks. I am much the better for understanding. Odd what some people feel proud of though... it must be demeaning to be so hard up for something to brag about...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The bottom line is...

In the 1960's it was the Russians and the Americans that were going to the moon. Today, the Chinese and the Indians are waltzing around it.

The brain boggles when you compare the tourists from these nations that come to Thailand! The citizens who aim for the moon, never waste time on forums like these abusing all and sundry for flimsy, unjustifiable reasons except for their own inferiority complexes.

Will this planet ever see peace?

51 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Ahm...so...if I am a tourist from Germany and do speak German, English and French...which are 2 +1 languages...how does that help me in this case?

lol show me those old germans that speak 3 languages fluently. they speak as broken english as the thais, so they won't complain, nor do they care. They just point at the menu.

55 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Well...I am from Germany, too and I bet you: if push came to shove, even in your Spa- village, a bunch of people would be able to help out with English!

You are aware, that we teach it in school, right?!

Sure, the pub restaurant will phone in an emergency english translator every time some british <deleted> is too entitled and too stupid to use google translate, nah you are just shown the door because the 60 yo pubowner doesn't let anyone herass their stuff.

You can also find an english speaker in every thai village, whats the point dude? You can also just use your goddamn phone and open google translate, you can even speak in there. DUH. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Another way to look at this.

We all know that businesses in general seek profits. 

But as customers I think most people are looking for businesses that are putting the customers first.

Not the hurt feelings of the staff. 

Certainly not insulting the customers.

In other words, treat the customers well and you get repeat business and make more money.

On the other hand I suppose a sign like that might be a hit with the self hating types that see Thais as some kind of romantic noble savages and westerners as crude animals. 

Do you feel 'hurt' by this notice?

Oh... you seems to be very sensitive (yourself)?

Ever paused to think of the 'other' persons feelings? If not, you should!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Nope, that's not true. You show the typical reaction of an American who only speaks one language which is also mentioned in the text.

I think that the Love you is honest and they do not hate you.

And stating that they want you to bring money, shut up and go home is what you believe. I disagree with your post and think that they're right with so many people thinking that all Thais have to speak English.

Does everybody speak English if you go on a vacation in let's say Italy?

Your post is just another Thai bashing one, nothing else. 

American bashing? 

Face it. 

That sign is very rude. 

Signing that that with love you can't credibly be taken as sincere. 

I think it's similar to the southern U.S. diss

bless your heart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

exactly the kind of ridiculous sign i would expect to see in this country.

How many tourists learn the language of the country they visit?

yes, if you live here, you should have some knowledge of the language.

but who wants to learn thai if you are not staying here a long time?

Maybe your English not so good.

it NOT say you must learn thai.

it say NOT complain. 

Glad and to help you sir.

sometimes I wonder how some people get through the day unaided.

a country reliant on Tourism........yet hardly any Thais speak English

to make it worse, they cant even understand basic sign language.

you only have to look at the cops directing traffic and look at the directions they give.

Anyone know what they mean?

Yes.

I certainly dont

You should learn. Safety first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

American bashing? 

Face it. 

That sign is very rude. 

Signing that that with love you can't credibly be taken as sincere. 

I think it's similar to the southern U.S. diss

bless your heart.

That sign is very rude. >>> Why?

Signing that that with love you can't credibly be taken as sincere. >>> Why?

I think it's similar to the southern U.S. diss >>> ???

bless your heart. >>> Will that unblock the arteries? A bypass be avoided? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Yes. Sure.

why he want to stay and complain, and complain, and complain?

Annoying everybody. Annoying himself. 

Better for his life. Better for everybody life. 

I agree. Leave and tell everybody who bothers to listen not to come. Better for everybody.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Yes. well. English is the default uniquitous language of the world. Thai isn't. It must surely be the responsibility of Thais to speak English, not for Europeans or Americans (both of whom come here mainly for cheap beaches, cheap food or cheap sex) to learn how to order Somtam in Thai or to engage a waiter whose IQ is likely less than 90 in conversation (quantum mechanics anyone?).

Seems reasonable for foreigners to boycott jingoistic little restaurants like this one. It probably isn't very clean anyway and it seems they need a few lessons in how not to <deleted> their customers off.

"It must surely be the responsibility of Thais to speak English..." Oh, give over!

Sheez...  Why is it?

Then you write, "...to engage a waiter whose IQ is likely less than 90 in conversation..." Ah, right!

The thing is, you can say what you like, but you don't get to say whose responsibility it is. Anyone with an IQ of 90+ would know that.

Judge. Jury. Executioner.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1