“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

I have seen an American complaining about the bank staff's English before so this phenomena is quite true.

He even lost his temper because the staff couldn't understand his English.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

It's an odd one.

I have a rule that when in a place catering to tourists, where the staff are expected to have a certain standard of English, I'll use English unless I'm not getting through, then I'll use Thai in a discreet way. 

If I'm in the back of beyond, I'll use Thai by default, though the amount of times I have to deal with staff too afraid of looking daft until they know I can speak Thai is unreal. A very common occurrence. 

It also fairly common to start using Thai in a place, then to be replied to in English by a staff member who them acts all offended. 

In my formative days of speaking Thai (I'm sure many have experienced this) I have been in a place, using Thai with the staff member 'expecting' me, as a Westerner, to be using English and have been totally flummoxed until the penny drops and they recognise their own language.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BestB said:

You may not be able to understand this but English is an international language

No it is not.

There are more spanish speakers than english.

There are more Mandarin speakers than spanish and english together.

There are plenty of countries where the lingua franca is: french.

And there are plenty of countries where the first second language you learn in school: is not english. And on top of that there are countries, were except for the reception in a hotel: no one speaks english, e.g. Spain or Italy (yes, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point, right?)

And regardless: for a Thai it is quite difficult to learn english, as english as in relation to Thai, a super complicated language.

Thai on the other hand is a super simple language. Complaining that one who speaks naturally a simple language makes mistakes in a complex language, is not very smart/intelligent or polite. Especially if it is a street food restaurant.

In Thai it is: "go bathroom". Why would a Thai not literally translate that to english, and say in english: "go bathroom"?

You don't know anything about languages, but you think your language is "the world language"? ROFL.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Now you actually offend 3 more countries of which most do speak basic English. That aside, English is the world language for Tourism & Hospitality, as well for ASEAN. Nobody ever said Thais should be speaking more than English language either.

The next stupid comment. I not offend someone. English is not the onliest world language for Tourism & Hospitality. French, Spanish and Russian also. It depends where you travel.

And this is the real point "TRAVEL"!!! The most Thais not speak english because the don't must do it. It's their home country, the most friends are Thai, TV is Thai, News are in Thai, .... A lot of Thais have learned english but they are to child to speak it because maybe they speak it wrong. The most people who speak english as second language learned it really when they travelled in the world. You learn it by doing and this you must when you travel. But the most Thais never come out of the country.

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Another complainer.

Not at all, I can converse adequately in Thai, so this doesn't affect me, with all the Gala Dinners, acceptance speeches etc that you go to, I hoped for some improvement. 

????

Edited by roo860

The only person I heard of berating a Thai person for their choice of language was a Chinese national.  When the manager of the guesthouse I was staying in spoke to them in fluent Mandarin (She had worked in Taiwan for years), they yelled at her to “Speak English!”

Crazy world.

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

The only person I heard of berating a Thai person for their choice of language was a Chinese national.  When the manager of the guesthouse I was staying in spoke to them in fluent Mandarin (She had worked in Taiwan for years), they yelled at her to “Speak English!”

Crazy world.

One person in one isolated situation said something. so what?

Edited by miskanotaji

4 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Crazy world.

Perhaps his Madarin was not good? E.g. if he was from Hongkong ... Perhaps she did not even speak Mandarin? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Taiwan

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Thais simply don't want to learn it, even if it is taught in the schools.

Thai schools usually don't teach english. They teach how to pass an english test. And those are mostly based on memorising arcane things. E.g. a 6 year old should know how to write Penguin and identify a picture of a Penguin. Albeit: he most likely does not even know what a Penguin is ... you see the problem?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, miskanotaji said:

9 times out of 10, when I say a phrase, the 1st part will go one ear in, the other out.

no matter what I ask, 90% of the time I get an answer to different question.

"which coffee is stronger: this or that?" - "you want this coffee?" --> I asked "which one is stronger!"

"how much are bananas?" - they'll take bananas and begin packing them --> I didn't ask to sell them to me, I asked only "how much!"

"what is coffee mocachino"?" - "you want mocachino? 50 baht" and she'll begin to prepare it --> I asked "what is it!" I haven't asked to give it to me yet.

Imo you ask too much questions lol

they don't understand your questions

how do you expect they can explain you something in the answer?

On a more serious side 

if you want ask ''what is it?'' try ''A ni a lay?''

but of course don't

expect an answer in english. 

And if you want ask ''what is the price for this?'' try ''A ni ki bath?'' showing the item with your finger

usualy they have a calculator to show you, or they use their fingers. You can also try to learn

the numbers, it's not very difficult

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, miskanotaji said:

in general, English is a shifftyy language. Spanish is way better.

Also, to british and americans - "how many languages, expect your native language - English, do you know?"

That is a silly question sir.  If you did not hear the United States is a country of immigrants.  There are more bilingual speaking people in the USA than most countries in this world.

• Haha 2