“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

I attended a conference in Mexico several years ago, on the flight into Mexico City from LAX, a very loud woman from USA, who was also a fellow presenter, in the seat next to me, stated "I hope they speak decent english there", when I pointed out that a lot of the conference presentations from other world wide presenters whose native language was NOT English,  would be translated into nominated languages through headsets, but the major language was Spanish, her indignation was one of entitlement and complete lack of respect for any other tongue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I can speak Thai pretty fluent, but I do cringe when I hear a foreigner using the word Farang and depending on how the tone is said and even then for when the Thai uses it. Does using the word farang give the foreigner a feeling of word superiority of mixing in with and trying to fit in?

I think same same, mak mak.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They all get taught English for 11 years in school.

Maybe blame them for not learning.

Oddly enough, my son aged 8, has been learning English for 3 years in his Thai school, and they class his English ability as 'poor', even though he's a native English speaker and chats all day in English at home.

Makes you wonder!

Yeah been there heard that, ignore Dat! I actually let mine get a grab on Thai first before they had to hunker down on the ole English. The bullying from little kids mouth's was not so kind way back in the day. Prodigy of the parents rotten mouth but the world is looking up as far as I see. 

Anyway, my kids are just fine right now in their later teens speaking English, just have a slight accent, but I love to hear it.. 

• Like 2

Just now, johng said:

No matter how much the "democratic soldier" would  like it to be, Thai language is never going to "the international language"

English is still the international language and will be for some time yet.

I think indefinitely. 

It would be Chinese but it won't be Chinese because it's … Chinese. 

9 minutes ago, johng said:

It is...they just write the Thai price in Thai  so the "silly whities" can't read it and know that they are being overcharged.

More common is an English menu with raised prices, and a Thai menu with normal prices.

I always grab the Thai menu.

Never seen Thai numbers in a restaurant.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

"Speak English you dumba*s!"  I'm sure that will go over well. 

Well if the waiter doesn't speak the international language how would they understand  me asking them to speak English..and if I called them a dumda*s ( which I wouldn't because I'm not such a dumba*s ) and they kicked my dumba*s would that mean they do in fact speak the international language ?

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I'm aware of course but a sign like that in English with the Love You! would be precious. 

Jingthing live in Thailand many years right? 

Can you read Thai? Or are you illiterate? I ask before, but not answer.

Can you complain in Thai language yet? 

Can you read any second language?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Not say that.

it say not complain. 

Understand? Or not?

The idea is close enough. Other places are happy to provide service in English. Forget Thailand, leave it to the Chinese and let them learn mandarin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Well if the waiter doesn't speak the international language how would they understand  me asking them to speak English..and if I called them a dumda*s ( which I wouldn't because I'm not such a dumba*s ) and they kicked my dumba*s would that mean they do in fact speak the international language ?

They can speak English. 

They write the sign in English!

Boring listen to people complain English not enough for SOME customer.

Happen already. Reason make the sign.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

All 7-11 workers should spend years study English for the tourist?

And supermarket worker?

Fuel pump? 

9000 baht/month.

Pffft

Actually I love it when the 711 or supermarket workers don't speak English or not enough. I can float either way, but if they try I do also help them and not embarrass them. In the stores around me English is not really spoken so the conversation is Thai.

Question Yinn: Can you look at a Foreigner and get a feeling they can speak Thai by the way they act and carry themselves? I get the feeling most Thai can.