Left passport at home, staying at hotel

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The hotel will tell you. Not every hotel is the same. Why make a topic about it before asking them directly with a phone call? Anyway, usually not any issue.

I can't find their phone number on the web. Their own site doesn't have a phone number

Most hotels will take a copy via email. They'll need a copy of the visa/exemption stamp as well...and, I think, the TM6 form.

Can anyone make a copy for you? If so, ask them to do so and email it to you.

You SHOULD be fine. If one hotels says no, others will bend that rule. I've done it before when my passport was not available for various reasons (passport renewal or pages, etc).

Edited by DaveK68

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I can't find their phone number on the web. Their own site doesn't have a phone number

which site did you use to book, once your booking is confirmed the site gives (it's suppose to give) you all the hotel contact info including phone #.... but it appears that you are already in CM thus better go to the hotel and ask

9 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Every hotel I have stayed at must be non-compliant then, because they always accept my DL.

That was my experience when I lived in Thailand through 2018.  When I came back last October for a week, the hotels I stayed at had signs saying they needed a passport, and could not accept a DL.  Your mileage may, of course, vary.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Hotels are required to complete a report to Immigration on all guests. That report includes data that is in the passport such as TM6 information that is not on DL. Some non compliant hotels accept less than the requirement. Some let Thai wife/person check in to avoid the report.

Thats why you always keep a pic of your passport with lates arrival stamp or visa. I usealle travel with out passport, and if they do not accept driver license, I can e-mail them my passport information for their print and copy. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Every hotel I have stayed at must be non-compliant then, because they always accept my DL.

Not sure that helps the OP without a list of every hotel you have stayed in. In my experience they have mostly asked for my passport. 

• Haha 1

Last month I stayed a week at Holiday Inn Bangkok Soi 22 with just my Thai drivers license. 

I asked the check in girl about TM 30 etc, immigration slip etc, she said all they need is a valid ID.

She said hotel staff can ask for the immigration docs/ passport, but the guest doesn't have to provide them.  

Maybe her colleagues would have a different opinion. 

20 hours ago, DaveK68 said:

Most hotels will take a copy via email. They'll need a copy of the visa/exemption stamp as well...and, I think, the TM6 form.

Can anyone make a copy for you? If so, ask them to do so and email it to you.

You SHOULD be fine. If one hotels says no, others will bend that rule. I've done it before when my passport was not available for various reasons (passport renewal or pages, etc).

Emphasises the wisdom of always quickly taking an up to date smartphone picture of passport, new stamps, attachements etc.

Totally easy to take the photos and totally easy to e-mail them to yourself, and if needed later forward the same mail to your hotel or whatever, and you can e-mail them using your standard telephone provider or on LINE, free. 

I'm elderly, I quickly take photos of all my documents, as above, and e-mail to myself and also to my Thai adult son, my NOK. 

21 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I stay at 15 different hotels a year for the past 18 years and never showed my passport once. Just use my DL even back when the license was a piece of paper lamented. So don’t worry & don’t offer excuses.

When going to an hotel I always let my gf hand her ID and only hand mine if they ask. IIRC about half of them don't ask for it.

If they try to do a tm30 the ID page is not enough, they want a tm6 number and the last day of your permission of stay.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you have copies for your passport and TM6 departure card. Some hotels might accept them with your driver's license.

I always have a photo of my passport and TM6 etc on my phone.