Chinese tourist in Hua Hin confirmed as Thailand’s sixth case of coronavirus

Jonathan Fairfield

Chinese tourist in Hua Hin confirmed as Thailand’s sixth case of coronavirus

hua-hin.jpg

File photo

A 73 year old Chinese tourist who had undergone tests having fallen ill with flu-like symptoms has been confirmed as having coronavirus, health officials have said.

The tourist travelled from Wuhan, the Chinese city at the centre of the outbreak to Suvarnabhumi Airport on January 19, 2020, before traveling to Hua Hin. The tourist reported a high fever on January 23 and was admitted to hospital.

The new case in Hua Hin brings the total coronavirus cases in Thailand to six. 

Following the announcement, all hotels in Hua Hin have been instructed to check the passports of any Chinese tourists arriving at the hotel, with staff told to immediately inform health officials if any tourists appear sick or show flu-like symptoms. 

Hua Hin district chief Thanon Panphipat, who made the announcement, said that monitoring arrivals at hotels was a precautionary measure needed to help prevent the possible spread of the coronavirus given that large numbers of Chinese tourists are expected in Hua Hin during the Chinese New Year festival. 

Officials have also announced that passengers arriving at Hua Hin Airport will be screened. 

The news comes as Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul announced he will hold an emergency meeting on Sunday with senior officials from the Ministry of Public Health, Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Tourism and Sports to discuss how to prevent the spread of coronavirus in Thailand. 

More preventative measures will then be submitted for cabinet approval on Tuesday. 

Via Thairath & Daily News 

Thanks to Kulsawek Sawekwannakorn

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-25

OMG.... wait until a lady in Pattaya gets it...

OK, back to my book, "Wuhan, Ranked Top Destination in 2020 by Chinese Culinary Cuisine"

The over/under on this Virus (according to Vegas) is 50 million.  I took the over, but I'll never collect

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

OMG.... wait until a lady in Pattaya gets it...

OK, back to my book, "Wuhan, Ranked Top Destination in 2020 by Chinese Culinary Cuisine"

The over/under on this Virus (according to Vegas) is 50 million.  I took the over, but I'll never collect

There are leaked videos coming in from Wuhan hospital claiming there are already 100,000 infected. If this is true, it’s about to get really ugly world wide. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

The solution is simple.....Ban All Chinese.......

Way too late for that. Even you did it now, it would be too little too late. And what are you going to do with all the visitors to China that are bringing virus back home? Ban them too?

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

damn straight. there would be flame throwers and mass graves at Hua Hin's city limits.  

Just how bad can it get?

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

50 million

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide—about one-third of the planet's population—and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 millionvictims, including some 675,000 Americans.Oct 12, 2010
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

large numbers of Chinese tourists are expected in Hua Hin during the Chinese New Year festival. 

And in Bangkok. I wonder if it's crowded in Yaowarat tonight, cough cough, a place i would avoid in any case.

Edited by RotBenz8888
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, manarak said:

it can get pretty bad.

it seems this outbreak will dwarf SARS numbers from 2003.

See post #9 for a forecast. Minimum 130,000 by 4 Feb. 2020, possibly as high as 270,000 by 4 Feb..

Some are saying it will be worse than SARS, and the Spanish Flu. The world has been over due for horrendous virus for decades. Maybe this is the big one.