Thailand’s PM assures coronavirus situation is “100% under control”

webfact

2 minutes ago, Sunderland said:

Once this virus takes hold in the local community all bets are off. They don't have the infrastructure to cope with multiple ICU cases. It will quickly become a nightmare. The time for making unpopular, but wise, decisions is right now, not next week or next month.

Up to third of patients require ICU care so hospitals will be overwhelmed soon if this spreads the way some simulations have predicted. 

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Because they can build one over a weekend.  Containment.  Pain Relief.  Possible ventilation if oxygen is needed.

I don't know why so many Farang on TVF are worried?!?! 

Many TVF Farang in Pattaya are *voluntarily* killing themselves slowly with a bad diet, obesity, cigarettes and alcoholism.

Coronavirus just speeds things up a bit.

Giddy up! ????

That is the spirit. 

• Haha 1

Thank you, obviously I am your sunshine. You're very welcome.

Thank you also Dr Turner for posting those links. From your own link: ". Electron microscopy revealed a virus with a characteristic crown morphology: a coronavirus.". It's in the name. In addition they do DNA sequencing tests, since the coronavirus DNA sequence has been known for some time. Therefore seems that the risk of misdiagnosis is not high.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sunderland said:

Agree. The next 7-14 days are critical for Bangkok and the rest of Thailand.

Be proactive. Stop the flights from China NOW. Close the schools NOW. Enforce quarantine in Bangkok and beyond for a minimum of 14 days. 

I know people will say that that is financially impossible, but do they want an economy at all in 4-6 weeks?

Once this virus takes hold in the local community all bets are off. They don't have the infrastructure to cope with multiple ICU cases. It will quickly become a nightmare. The time for making unpopular, but wise, decisions is right now, not next week or next month.

So, you're asking them to plan ahead? I agree. But ain't gonna happen. They want that money today. Will worry about tomorrow come tomorrow.

• Sad 1

Just an if question.

If it spreads here and workers who are in food production/packing contract the virus and if the virus gets on the packed food how long will it stay viable in those pack conditions?

I honestly think at the moment it really is only very dangerous to very young, old and with an illness that complicates its effects. The biggest hit will be to the health services and the costs that will apply there.

Edited by overherebc

latest news in Australia this morning is that they have recreated the corona virus in a lab there and have given a sample  to WHO and other world labs, apparently china refused to give WHO or any other country a sample so they could help stop it, they released some pics of it only. Really makes you wonder exactly what china was doing and if there is any truth in the rumour that the virus originated from a lab in china where they experimenting with chemical weapon research, anything is possible in china, they answer to no one  and believe they are a law unto themselves

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Just an if question.

If it spreads here and workers who are in food production/packing contract the virus and if the virus gets on the packed food how long will it stay viable in those pack conditions?

I honestly think at the moment it really is only very dangerous to very young, old and with an illness that complicates its effects. The biggest hit will be to the health services and the costs that will apply there.

What about the meats that are not packed just about every store the meat is out in the open with everyone handling it there's no control

4 hours ago, Fred white said:

What about the meats that are not packed just about every store the meat is out in the open with everyone handling it there's no control

virus will spread like wildfire in thailand if it takes hold

one easy spread is the local markets and culture where everyone is touching the food that is being served. this is much different then western countries where people shop at grocery stores and buy packaged food. there people are handling the outer packaging, not the noodles, etc and are not using the same utensils to serve the many people that are not being washed between diners. also, everyone is touching the same utensil receptacles, toothpicks, etc etc. all stuff that goes directly into your mouth.

makes sure any food vendors, fruit sellers etc. are at least wearing gloves at a minimum. virus can also be on money and bills that are handled regularly between food prep.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seajae said:

latest news in Australia this morning is that they have recreated the corona virus in a lab there and have given a sample  to WHO and other world labs, apparently china refused to give WHO or any other country a sample so they could help stop it, they released some pics of it only. Really makes you wonder exactly what china was doing and if there is any truth in the rumour that the virus originated from a lab in china where they experimenting with chemical weapon research, anything is possible in china, they answer to no one  and believe they are a law unto themselves

China publicly released the genetic makeup, not "some pics" on the 10th of January. This enabled scientists across the entire world to start working on the virus. You realise we're living in the 21st century, right? I'd love a link to where you read the rumour about the chemical weapon, if you don't mind sharing it.

12 minutes ago, SABloke said:

China publicly released the genetic makeup, not "some pics" on the 10th of January. This enabled scientists across the entire world to start working on the virus. You realise we're living in the 21st century, right? I'd love a link to where you read the rumour about the chemical weapon, if you don't mind sharing it.

Google or wherever you get your info from and type in Wuhan Chinese Army bio warfare center, to easy. Your thinking virus from mutated snake and bat meat...really!

Edited by Mikeasq60
why?
  • Sad 1

You will all be ok don't worry , calm down - the media is beginning to downplay this and the Chinese no doubt can't row back just yet having overreacted and caused the social media panic that ensured. There will not be some apocalyptic zombie virus global meltdown - just another flu pandemic not nice for those that get caught up with it but something that happens all the time year on year. 

This is the first viral /social media meltdown of the 21st century and will no doubt not be the last. 

1 hour ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Your thinking virus from mutated snake and bat meat...really!

No, I don't think that. But I do believe it is possible for viruses to be transmited from live animals...which is allegedly the case with this virus.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Thailand’s PM assures coronavirus situation is “100% under control” 

Thank you, beloved leader! I feel so much safer now. If the world only would listen to your ingenious words and advices any problem would be solved iwithin moments.

You can say. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1145678-thailand-and-bangkok-‘most-at-risk’-from-coronavirus-scientists-warn/

Edited by Felt 35

Every international airport in Thailand has biometric finger scanners - both hands, not the two index fingers required in Malaysia. Every Chinese coming into the country will be touching those scanners. A good site for infection. Permit me to doubt everyone will be washing their hands before and after. The mode of coronavirus transmission is still not clearly defined.

Seems to me every time Prayut opens his mouth, he achieves new heights of idiocy.

• Like 2

Lots of posts here and other related threads on the numbers who die every year from 'normal'? flu.

All true, but why add to the total by doing virtually nothing that will/might overload the health care system and have serious knock on effects. Factories having manpower problems with lots of sick staff and so on.

Is it ok to say (x,000??) people die of flu every year and this will only add a couple of hundred to that and it will only be old or already sick people??

OK if it's not 'your' granny I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Every international airport in Thailand has biometric finger scanners - both hands, not the two index fingers required in Malaysia. Every Chinese coming into the country will be touching those scanners. A good site for infection. Permit me to doubt everyone will be washing their hands before and after. The mode of coronavirus transmission is still not clearly defined.

Seems to me every time Prayut opens his mouth, he achieves new heights of idiocy.

Would be interesting to see the reaction if you used a hand steriliser wet tissue to wipe the the reader before you use it.

• Haha 1