Is it safe to travel to Thailand? Latest advice after deadly coronavirus kills 132

webfact

31 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

I was staying near Soi Rangangnam where there is a King Power.

KP literally buses in hundreds of Chinese tourist into Rangnam.

There were many Chinese tourist that would cough or sneeze without covering their mouth and some would yell at the top of their lungs while talking on the phone or even to someone that was relatively close to them.  Spit flying ever where and many of them didn't care or have a clue.  And they wonder how the coronavirus is spreading so fast...I'm sure the virus is already in Thailand.

Image result for chinese sneezing  

"..I'm sure the virus is already in Thailand."

Stating the obvious really - If you read the OP:-

"Thailand was the first country to confirm a coronavirus case on January 12, and is currently the worst affected nation outside of China."

With the number of people infected now standing at 14, the country's health minister Anutin Charnvirakul has admitted the country “is not able to stop the spread” of the virus because there are so many Chinese travellers there."

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, moutamine said:

Maybe we should just iradicate the Chinese then... They started the SARS, now this coronavirus... these <deleted> keep putting the planet in danger. Time to go!

Nobody on this forum criticizes China more than I do. In fact, the wumaos on TVF have taken to calling me racist, bigot, and blind to the 21st century. But I do criticize China, not Chinese so much, although there are occasions when they are rightfully in the crosshairs. But your solution, tongue in cheek or otherwise, is a bridge too far. Thailand chose to invite these people to Thailand. Thailand altered its entire tourist model to cater to them. For Thais to turn on them after Thais have done everything possible to flood the country with them is probably about the most hideous example of deceitful opportunism I've seen since Lord Jim jumped the Patna. 

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Seen lots of people out there on the roads with facemask but no helmet. 

It's ok to have the head split open like a water melon under the wheels of an articulated lorry, but NOOOOOOOOO!!! I can't catch a flu. Textbook example of 'Thai logic'.

Edited by outsider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, englishoak said:

1580344349216.png

Bare in mind this prediction was done on 22 for the next 30 day at then  present data if nothing was to change. So far the numbers have mostly mirrored  the prediction frighteningly closely  .. I really hope it begins to diverge to the low side within the next few days.

Hi, EOak

Very interesting tables.  Who did the prediction table?  I'd like to follow their site.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

But not useless. Anything is better than nothing. I've so far failed to source N95 masks in Pattaya. Got a couple of hot tips last night. Final attempt today.

Home Pro and other hardware stores have them. 

This virus is another additional threat to peoples health.  

I hear some posters going on about road deaths and other means of dying, but every virus that comes along is an Additional threat.  Good luck folks.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
error

9 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Nobody on this forum criticizes China more than I do. In fact, the wumaos on TVF have taken to calling me racist, bigot, and blind to the 21st century. But I do criticize China, not Chinese so much, although there are occasions when they are rightfully in the crosshairs. But your solution, tongue in cheek or otherwise, is a bridge too far. Thailand chose to invite these people to Thailand. Thailand altered its entire tourist model to cater to them. For Thais to turn on them after Thais have done everything possible to flood the country with them is probably about the most hideous example of deceitful opportunism I've seen since Lord Jim jumped the Patna. 

"Thailand altered its entire tourist model to cater to them."

They have just offered Chinese and Indian tourists free visa. Tourists from almost every western country (with a few exceptions) gets a free 30 days visa exempt when entering the country. Chinese tourists are here maybe 2 weeks. So what tourist model have Thailand altered? From the list of VOA countries, now and then a country is moved to the visa exempt list. 

49 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Time to follow the international community and ban all flights from China"

Can you tell me which international communities have banned all flights from China? There are airlines suspending flights to and from China, but that's not the same thing.  

Some have stopped issuing visas for Chinese citizens. Neighboring countries have closed borders. Many international flights canceled on various airlines. Thailand is doing <deleted>*k all nothing. 

Business as usual. Food markets and events are still taking place catering to the Chinese as if nothing is wrong. And of course nothing is wrong when they can’t report the infected numbers anymore.

If the virus ravages this place, they brought it on themselves. The PM is sick with a fever today. It would be glorious karma if he has it. 

My biggest concern would be standing in an entry/departure immigration line at Suvarn' or baggage  security surrounded by two plane loads of Chinese standing right next to you (front and back).Also on the BTS lining up for tickets and squashed up in a carriage with someone up close and personal hot and sweaty.Does that answer everybodys' question?

Edited by sydneyjed

18 minutes ago, outsider said:

Seen lots of people out there on the roads with facemask but no helmet.

You have to remember that, at least until now, they have wearing the face mask to protect others from their own sickness. Following that, I guess that they have give their helmet to someone else to protect that person when the giver is out on the road.

18 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

This virus is another additional threat to peoples health.  

I hear some posters going on about road deaths and other means of dying, but every virus that comes along is an Additional threat.  Good luck folks.

Geezer

It’s one more thing to add to the list of dangers here.

You can tell those who belong among the locals by their ignorant posts. It’s the same people who say the PM2.5 pollution isn’t harmful because of all the vehicle pollution and cigarette smoke we also have to breath here.

3 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

this will be pretty much forgotten next week.  during the time of this coronavirus, multiples more people have died of regular old flu.  the coronavirus has a mortality rate of 3%, whereas flu has a mortality rate of 1%.  

last week at this time everyone was ranting and raving about the lopburi murderer, mr. golf.  now, there's no mention of him, at least on the first pages of TV.  the news cycle these days is incredibly short, sad to say.

erm seasonal flu (which large parts of the population have antibodies for) has a infected mortality rate of 0.1 % 

Hey your only out by a factor of 10.. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Some have stopped issuing visas for Chinese citizens. Neighboring countries have closed borders. Many international flights canceled on various airlines. Thailand is doing <deleted>*k all nothing. 

Business as usual. Food markets and events are still taking place catering to the Chinese as if nothing is wrong. And of course nothing is wrong when they can’t report the infected numbers anymore.

If the virus ravages this place, they brought it on themselves. The PM is sick with a fever today. It would be glorious karma if he has it. 

"international communities have banned all flights from ChIna" is not same as a few cancelled flights. I read that China put the province of Hubei, where Wuhan is the major city, in quarantine. They are actually doing something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, moutamine said:

Maybe we should just iradicate the Chinese then... They started the SARS, now this coronavirus... these <deleted> keep putting the planet in danger. Time to go!

40 minutes ago, zydeco said:

China, ordinary Chinese people desperately need a "cultural revolution" to end these habits, whether personally, needlessly, spreading disease by spitting, etc, or wild and domestic species mixing, or horrid, snobbish dietary predilections. This is just about the public health sphere. Environment, various totalitarian barbarisms, mercantilism, aggression, and monstrous chauvinism all need to change to transform society and render China and Chinese as worthy members of humanity.

Has anyone commented on the threat of Burma being the conduit for mass infection of our beloved Thailand? With denialist Ms Suukki and her generals in charge, and their rickety healthcare, Armageddon awaits! Will China close the border with Burma? That could help somewhat.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

erm seasonal flu (which large parts of the population have antibodies for) has a infected mortality rate of 0.1 % 

Hey your only out by a factor of 10.. 

erm depending on the flu season, the range is all over the place (but I will grant you that it is never near 3%).  as for the 3% figure being thrown about, you're seeing that drop as the days go by (more infections but fewer deaths).

see you here next week when I'm sure this thread will be alive and well - not

Edited by Angry Dragon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, hrrecruiter said:

I rather pay a tiny amount for Masks for myself and the family even if it doesnt guaranteed 100% protection - got a batch w 10 for 599thb on lazada and they ship home in a couple days. Helps w pollution if nothing else. https://bit.ly/2U6vQ1L

Where were they made and was the person who packed them virus free??

• Haha 1

Six people in Australia, all of whom recently spent time in China, have already been diagnosed with the new coronavirus. Population 23 million = .0000260%

14 people infected in Thailand population 68 million  =  .0000206%

(give or take 0 or 2)

I think it is safer in Thailand than in Australia!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JohnFlory said:

Oh for goodness sake! I am in Pattaya now. Just got back from Central on Beach Rd. Had lunch at Sizzler (blah!) with my wife. No mask. Wash your hand a lot and avoid having people cough or sneeze on you. Live a little and stop being so afraid of everything.

Cough. Cough. Let's hope that this is not newbie JohnFlory's first and last post.

8 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

Six people in Australia, all of whom recently spent time in China, have already been diagnosed with the new coronavirus. Population 23 million = .0000260%

14 people infected in Thailand population 68 million  =  .0000206%

(give or take 0 or 2)

I think it is safer in Thailand than in Australia!!

I guess that you have missed that the Thai helth minister yesterday declared that there should not be any official reports from Thailand about Coronavirus before February 7 and also that the first person outside China that have died of Corona-virus was in Chang Mai.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Parsve said:

I guess that you have missed that the Thai helth minister yesterday declared that there should not be any official reports from Thailand about Coronavirus before February 7 and also that the first person outside China that have died of Corona-virus was in Chang Mai.

I saw the story about restrictions in Chiang Mai but not nationwide. Is that the case? And if there is a delay and it takes over a week for them to report something and that happens to include death(s), then this place will be dog meat for tourism. Nobody will ever trust them again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xerostar said:

Last night I had to get a taxi to get home, I noticed the driver had a slight cough. I wondered how many Chinese had he picked up the airport in the last few weeks? I'm sure taxi drivers must feel particularly vulnerable. Not to mention aircraft cabin crew and airport staff.  Staying home as much as possible would make sense but for many people there is no choice.

Very worrying. I hope you had your mask on. Not to mention you are touching parts of the vehicle, and then maybe your face - hand sanitizer at every turn, or surgical gloves in taxis, etc even, is what I would be using.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zydeco said:

I saw the story about restrictions in Chiang Mai but not nationwide. Is that the case? And if there is a delay and it takes over a week for them to report something and that happens to include death(s), then this place will be dog meat for tourism. Nobody will ever trust them again.

Oh you mean it will be worse than jet-ski and other tourist scams that have been going on for years and years with little effect on tourism?

• Haha 1