State unit boosting production of 70-degree alcohol

webfact

State unit boosting production of 70-degree alcohol

By THE NATION

800_01788441faece50.jpg?v=1580441039

The Liquor Distillery Organisation is stepping up on the production of 70-degree alcohol as an alternative to antibiotic gel and sprays which have run out of stock amid the spread of coronavirus, said acting director Somkuan Charusombat on Thursday (January 30).

People have been using gel and sprays to protect themselves from being infected. However, supply from private producers has failed to meet huge market demand.

11344436130854.jpg

Liquor Distillery Organization, as a state-owned alcohol producer, is hastening the production of 70-degree alcohol which has higher strength of sterilisation.

“The alcohol was usually used to clean medical and office equipment” the acting director explained. “The 70-degree alcohol can serve as a protection against bird flu virus, which is similar to the coronavirus, and reduce the risk of infection". 

The alcohol should be sold at normal price, but some distributors have increased the price, Somkuan said.

S__1818673.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381355

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-31
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

It's used for medical purposes, 70% ethanol. In some countries it's required to taint it with isopropanol or such, so people won't drink it. Used to be fairly easy to get 99% ethanol smuggled from Russia back in Finland. Deadly stuff if not diluted.

Dilute alcohol 70%, is more effective than 75% and above...reason is rate of evaporation. 90% and above is practically ineffective because it evaporates too fast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

It's used for medical purposes, 70% ethanol. In some countries it's required to taint it with isopropanol or such, so people won't drink it. Used to be fairly easy to get 99% ethanol smuggled from Russia back in Finland. Deadly stuff if not diluted.

Hell Sinking down and a terrible Finnish on the last Lapp eh????????

Having supped with the Finns both home and away they make even the Irish seem sober.They are very polite calm quiet drunks and the communal sauna is a great leveller for a hangover like Bangers without the grime

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Could mix it with water and still set it alight.

A bit related, here's where the "proof" originates from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_proof#History

Spirits were tested by soaking a pellet of gunpowder in them. If the gunpowder could still burn, the spirits were rated above proof and taxed at a higher rate.

As for degrees, where I grew up they used to use the equivalent Finnish word, "asteista". Some like it hot I suppose.

Edited by DrTuner

28 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Used to be able to buy rum made by a sugar company that was 70% alcohol for $2 a bottle (long time ago and only available to workers). Could mix it with water and still set it alight.

Great cure for a cold or flu..

I don't which rum you bought when I still lived in Europe I bought rum

from Austria (Stroh) which was 86 %.

3 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Why do Thai people refer to alcohol strength in "Degree's" while most of the rest of the world refers to it as "percent" ? 

I have no idea why the article comes with "degree".

The bottles clearly show percentage and the Thai word for percent is either simply a transcript of the English or like "of 100".

And all alcohol content is just referred to with the percentage number.

Like "see sip" for 40% lao khao.