EU leaders remind Britain: No membership, no benefits

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Xaos said:

Will there be visas for EU nationals and vice versa? 

No. People can still travel freely with a passport until the end of 2020. This applies to UK citizens going to the EU and EU citizens coming to visit the UK.

After the transition period, tourists from the UK will be allowed to visit EU countries (and vice-versa) for up to 90 days in every 180 days (without a visa). 

44 minutes ago, TheDark said:

EU decency rules pretty much dictated that EU as a whole or EU nations would not talk bad about leaving England. 

I'm not sure if the moving to transition period changes things, I guess not yet. 

When the adult behaving EU side is finally allowed to really say, what they think, forgetting diplomatic softening, we'll hear quite interesting stories what UK is seen by her closest neighbours.

At that point. Like I said, I don't know if that happens next Monday or next year, things start to really change. 

At the point both sides should be checked against USD etc. as both sides will suffer what is going to come. 

I check that link every day but for GBP v THB only and compare that with the KBank rate. At the weekends I also check XE currency rates for the same reason. However XE is mainly a mid rate reference whereas TW is a real usable currency.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Personally I do not feel very concerned by this brexit ???? The only thing that I hope and that will make me happy is to recover a blue British passport ????

IMG_4529.jpeg

Well, until the blue in you flag and the blue in your passport (Scotland) leaves the Union ????

Or maybe it will be a french blue since it is made in France ????

You do know that burgundy passports were a UK decision - other EU countries do have blue passports...

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

No. People can still travel freely with a passport until the end of 2020. This applies to UK citizens going to the EU and EU citizens coming to visit the UK.

After the transition period, tourists from the UK will be allowed to visit EU countries (and vice-versa) for up to 90 days in every 180 days (without a visa). 

You will also have to go in the general line not the expedited EU line.

If you are driving there will be more requirements.

If you bring your mobile phone you will have to be careful since you could be hit by exorbitant charges.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I check that link every day but for GBP v THB only and compare that with the KBank rate. At the weekends I also check XE currency rates for the same reason. However XE is mainly a mid rate reference whereas TW is a real usable currency.

You do your homework well. That's good. Therefore I'm sure you already know what is happening with THB and why.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

You will also have to go in the general line not the expedited EU line.

If you are driving there will be more requirements.

If you bring your mobile phone you will have to be careful since you could be hit by exorbitant charges.

UK citizens can continue to use the EU/EEA nationals line at customs throughout the transition period. What happens after the transition period has not been decided or announced. The same applies to driving licenses, and the same applies to mobile phone charges. 

If you know different, can we see the proof please? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

UK citizens can continue to use the EU/EEA nationals line at customs throughout the transition period. What happens after the transition period has not been decided or announced. The same applies to driving licenses, and the same applies to mobile phone charges. 

If you know different, can we see the proof please? 

I should have been clear - this is after the transition period (that was what I was replying to)... it is coming... 

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Slight addendum, after the transition period, and once ETIAS is fully implemented (end of 2021), you will have to apply for ETIAS for a nominal fee (likely 5 or 10GBP based on other countries implementations) - which will clear you for visa waiver travel for the life of the passport.

7 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Oh no, we're all doomed. F-g he**, we have to adhere to the same rules that applies to driving in countries outside EU. Like Thailand. Oh nooo.....

And the mobile phone....

And I have to stand in a different line every time I travel to Romania? F-g he**...

:crazy:

Just something I envied... I lived in the UK for 1 year and 1 day...  (yes I counted)... very close to Waterloo Station (when it was where the Eurostar trains terminated at) and it was just one silly thing I envied when flying in and out.   I could have stayed in the UK (on my 'ancestor' visa) to get full citizenship and had the same EU rights.... but I could not survive living in the UK for that long (lucky I did not waste my time ????).  Nothing against the UK, but I am cheap... and living in the UK did not offer anything I really wanted.  Visiting is ok for 3 or 4 weeks, but living there... well... the cost just rubbed me the wrong way, I preferred living in either the US or Canada (but Thailand is better).

8 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Slight addendum, after the transition period, and once ETIAS is fully implemented (end of 2021), you will have to apply for ETIAS for a nominal fee (likely 5 or 10GBP based on other countries implementations) - which will clear you for visa waiver travel for the life of the passport.

This is news to me. I thought UK citizens were allowed visa and fee free entry to Schengen Europe. 

Quite like it would be implemented the other way around as well. 

What is your source for this information?

For people outside of Europe, things probably stay the same. There are separate visas to enter the UK and the Schengen free to travel area. 

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Well, until the blue in you flag and the blue in your passport (Scotland) leaves the Union ????

Or maybe it will be a french blue since it is made in France ????

You do know that burgundy passports were a UK decision - other EU countries do have blue passports...

only 1 have blue pp.

All E.U. members passports.png

Edited by david555

8 minutes ago, TheDark said:

This is news to me. I thought UK citizens were allowed visa and fee free entry to Schengen Europe. 

Quite like it would be implemented the other way around as well. 

What is your source for this information?

For people outside of Europe, things probably stay the same. There are separate visas to enter the UK and the Schengen free to travel area. 

This has become pretty standard with western countries - and while visa waiver still exists - countries like Canada, the US, EU (starting in 2021) require pre-registration (you get a tag in your passport) to gather information for security purposes before you are able to use the visa-waiver travel.  (fee is basically to cover cost in most cases).

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news/how-will-the-etias-system-work

Maximum term is 3 years or the life of passport.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

A preview from Monday ….

Daniel Boffey in Brussels

Sat 1 Feb 2020 12.37 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-trade-talks-eu-to-back-spain-over-gibraltar-claims

Brexit trade talks: EU to back Spain over Gibraltar claims

Territory’s economy at risk unless UK reaches agreement with Madrid over ownership

The EU will back Spain over its territorial claims to Gibraltar in the next phase of Brexit negotiations by giving Madrid the power to exclude the British overseas territory from any trade deal struck with Brussels.

The Observer has learned that the Spanish government has insisted on reference to the Rock in the EU’s opening negotiating position, which will be published in draft form on Monday.

Boris Johnson will be presented with the choice of reaching agreement with the Spaniards about Gibraltar’s future or exposing its citizens to economic peril by pushing it outside any EU-UK trade deal.

more...

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Correction; the UK is now a Lion, which needs to be respected and feared ????

It seems U.K. is anyway teasing the Old lion by pulling on his tail ????….(LOL...

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, david555 said:

A preview from Monday ….

Daniel Boffey in Brussels

Sat 1 Feb 2020 12.37 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-trade-talks-eu-to-back-spain-over-gibraltar-claims

Brexit trade talks: EU to back Spain over Gibraltar claims

Territory’s economy at risk unless UK reaches agreement with Madrid over ownership

The EU will back Spain over its territorial claims to Gibraltar in the next phase of Brexit negotiations by giving Madrid the power to exclude the British overseas territory from any trade deal struck with Brussels.

The Observer has learned that the Spanish government has insisted on reference to the Rock in the EU’s opening negotiating position, which will be published in draft form on Monday.

Boris Johnson will be presented with the choice of reaching agreement with the Spaniards about Gibraltar’s future or exposing its citizens to economic peril by pushing it outside any EU-UK trade deal.

That is Spain and therefore Europe saying.

UK, get the fruit out of our view. You decided to leave, you are no longer welcome to occupy our territories.

Should Spain and UK do a little Falkland islands war over the Gibraltar territories. Should other countries at the same time go war with England over other UK's current overseas territories?

UK no longer have the backing of 27 EU countries. Instead these countries will back their own.

Do the diminishing  attacks of the UK's overseas power at the same time and UK does not have a chance to respond.

Taking back control, while being isolated from the rest of the world, is tough. UK is following the path of Soviet Union experienced at time. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I should have been clear - this is after the transition period (that was what I was replying to)... it is coming... 

But your comment was based on an assumption that no arrangements will be made during the transition period. A worst case scenario. We don't know what will be agreed.

You're right about ETIAS though. 

"Let the games begin"....  was a saying from the Old Rome Emperors , here you can see where heading to   ...WTO …!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/johnson-to-impose-full-customs-checks-on-goods-from-eu-report

Lisa O'Carroll Brexit correspondent

Sat 1 Feb 2020 11.58 GMT

Johnson to impose full customs checks on goods from EU – report

Whitehall source says plans would ‘double the practical challenge at the border’

Boris Johnson intends to impose full customs checks on all goods coming into the UK from the EU in a break with previous government policy, according to reports.

“We are planning full checks on all EU imports – export declarations, security declarations, animal health checks and all supermarket goods to pass through border inspection posts,” the Daily Telegraph reported a senior Whitehall source as saying. “This will double the practical challenge at the border in January 2021.”

The paper reports that businesses will be informed of the policy on 10 February.

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, bannork said:

Brexit means freedom for chargers!

Well they can keep their chargers (though they might not work anymore on new devices)... companies follow standards covering the largest economies or wider areas (it is why car manufacturers follow California standards over national US standards).  If the EU dictates it the UK will get phones that match.

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

"Let the games begin"....  was a saying from the Old Rome Emperors , here you can see where heading to   ...WTO …!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/johnson-to-impose-full-customs-checks-on-goods-from-eu-report

Lisa O'Carroll Brexit correspondent

Sat 1 Feb 2020 11.58 GMT

Johnson to impose full customs checks on goods from EU – report

Whitehall source says plans would ‘double the practical challenge at the border’

Boris Johnson intends to impose full customs checks on all goods coming into the UK from the EU in a break with previous government policy, according to reports.

“We are planning full checks on all EU imports – export declarations, security declarations, animal health checks and all supermarket goods to pass through border inspection posts,” the Daily Telegraph reported a senior Whitehall source as saying. “This will double the practical challenge at the border in January 2021.”

The paper reports that businesses will be informed of the policy on 10 February.

More expensive fruit and veg (not to mention the same standard that Northern Ireland will also be dragged into now).

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

More expensive fruit and veg.

I think in a no deal situation the E.U. will be happy to have borders with a third party country ….defending his market … ???? And Boris can wondering around his Island , so experiencing what it means to live isolated ????

imagesH5XQIXN5.jpg

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1