Credit card debt

The minimum payment of Thailand based credit cards increased from 5% to 10 % a few years ago. So at 10% surely her first repayment would be 56,000, then 50,400, etc.  So the figures don't seem to add up. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The interest on 560K with 20% would be 112K a year / 9.3K a month + paying off the principle (5600 baht a month if 10%) making a total of 14.9K and not 56K.
I do not know anyone who pays off 10% of their balance in just a month.

Partial quote from above Bangkok Bank weblink.  Typically a credit card monthly repayment amount is a minimum of 10% of the card's "outstanding balance" which includes past purchases, new purchases, cash advances, interest charges, etc.

image.png.a6573af81203373f601b917aa1495725.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

Partial quote from above Bangkok Bank weblink.  Typically a credit card monthly repayment amount is a minimum of 10% of the card's "outstanding balance" which includes past purchases, new purchases, cash advances, interest charges, etc.

I have credit cards with K-Bank and CitiBank and they too are 10% minimum repayment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

My girlfriend has just told me she has 560K credit card debt, 1 card.

She pays 17K per month, 13K of which is interest!

Those numbers don't even come close to what I'd say are real world numbers in Thailand.

1. The interest seems too high

2. The monthly repayment of principle seems way too low

Do banks in Thailand allow a debt limit of over 10x the monthly income of the person?

What bank is this card supposed to be from?

The amount of debt and small monthly payment might hint that this is maybe from a car finance plan.

Just now, eisfeld said:

Those numbers don't even come close to what I'd say are real world numbers in Thailand.

1. The interest seems too high

2. The monthly repayment of principle seems way too low

Do banks in Thailand allow a debt limit of over 10x the monthly income of the person?

What bank is this card supposed to be from?

The amount of debt and small monthly payment might hint that this is maybe from a car finance plan.

Loan shark maybe ?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes but the secret to this is, they pay the 10% minimum and then withdraw the same amount again. So effectively there is no minimum aside of interest.
That is why they all have so many cards in their wallets. Their salary might go to outstanding balances to then use it all up again from the cards. 

Many people in general are quite ignorant over 15-20% yearly interests on being in red digits. They think it is not that bad (while it is, very expensive).

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Just to add from my experience a guy may be better off with a village girl.

Avoid even this. If you are looking for a real friend take a water buffalo. It can work for you and will only cost you money when it is sick. 

• Haha 2

Yeap, "Thai" credit card repayment and interest are different (tougher) that what westerners are use to in their home country where interest can be a lot lower, minimum monthly repayment requirements less, and repayment period can literally go on forever as long as you make the minimum monthly payment amount.  Of course repayment for a Thai card could go on forever if the person meets the minimum monthly repayment amount which is typically 10% of outstanding balance.

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yeap, "Thai" credit card repayment and interest are different (tougher) that what westerners are use to in their home country where interest can be a lot lower, minimum monthly repayment requirements less, and repayment period can literally go on forever as long as you make the minimum monthly payment amount.  Of course repayment for a Thai card could go on forever if the person meets the minimum monthly repayment amount which is typically 10% of outstanding balance.

Tougher? In most EU countries you can not even get 1 credit card, even if you earn like near 2000 euro a month.
Here they can get millions of credit when earning 20K baht.

Interest rates are often 15% too, so that is not that much higher here. The risk is to it too. 
If debt is used smart, Thailand is a really good country in reality. You get the chance to do something.

My wife uses some credit for cashflow to buy merchandise and is always repaid within 2 months,
the interest is no issue as the profit she makes is 20% in a month.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Tougher? In most EU countries you can not even get 1 credit card, even if you earn like near 2000 euro a month.
Here they can get millions of credit when earning 20K baht.

Interest rates are often 15% too, so that is not that much higher here. The risk is to it too. 
If debt is used smart, Thailand is a really good country in reality. You get the chance to do something.

My wife uses some credit for cashflow and is always repaid within 2 months, the interest is no issue as the profit she makes is 20% in a month.

I think you over estimate what a typical Thai making say 10K to 30K baht per month can get in total line of credit per card.  Now if they end up getting cards from numerous banks (i.e., a card collector), then yes, they can get themselves into a real pickle when it comes to getting into some big debt.

Also, regarding the monthly repayment amount it's repeated over and over at 10% at below website that compares Thai credit cards, minimum monthly income requirements, etc.  And it seems the going interest rate is 18%

https://www.moneyguru.co.th/credit-card/

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Which banks in Thailand give "millions"  as a credit limit on a 20k salary ?

Almost any bank, if used properly and your reputation is good. Your reputation also gets better if you had small loans in the past and paid them back in time. 
My wife got offered from KTB alone over 500K baht and her salary on paper at the time was only 22K. Not even talking about options for mortgage etc too. 

If you would add it all together, easily 3-5M baht credit lines available.
In case of the OP, talking about 35K up salary, it will be even much more and easier. Yet it all depends in credit history and reputation too.

Compared to EU, Netherlands, you have to earn much much more to get even close to 100K baht in credit lines.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1