Netizens bugged by rising price of face masks

webfact

5 hours ago, Thian said:

3 weeks ago i saw the 3M ones in chinatown....25 for 750 baht, the good ones with exhaust valve....but i bet they're sold out now.

Isn't it ridiculous that Prayuth lets the chinese in (while other countries ban them) and he even doesn't make sure there are enough mouthmasks for sale...is he willing to kill us?

The answer is yes; he is willing to kill us, especially Farang as we are worth less in his eyes than a pile of Dog Excrement but before you die or leave remember to leave the contents of your wallet behind !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, digger70 said:

It doesn't matter what it is if there's money to made even from poor, sick, suffering, dying, people there are always some lowlife scum who will rip you off.

In Thailand it's the way of the past, the way it is now and the way of the future !

5 hours ago, Garybaldy said:

Still more dangerous on the roads can’t get a mask for that though can you ?

How about a helmut as per racing drivers use?This suggestion does get raised now and then.If coupled with a fire resistant suit they also wear might be more effective virus protection!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Thian said:

3 weeks ago i saw the 3M ones in chinatown....25 for 750 baht, the good ones with exhaust valve....but i bet they're sold out now.

Isn't it ridiculous that Prayuth lets the chinese in (while other countries ban them) and he even doesn't make sure there are enough mouthmasks for sale...is he willing to kill us?

"Isn't it ridiculous that Prayuth lets the chinese in (while other countries ban them)"

Yes, can't have it affecting tourism now, can we?

It is time the government came clean about the overpriced disposable facemasks being sold to millions of Thais in a tizzy over the Wuhan virus.

The truth is they are unfit for purpose. Or, in officialese, virologists are "sceptical about their effectiveness" in keeping out the corona or any other virus. 

So save your money and adopt more sensible and effective measures to avoid the remote possibility of becoming infected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

Viruses are so damn small...(much, much smaller than a bacterium) that they pass right through most of those masks like air molecules pass through mosquito netting.

When someone with a virus sneezes or coughs, they're not expelling little microscopic virus pieces all by themselves, which is what you seem to think. Instead, they're expelling larger drops of mucus and phlegm that contain the virus elements within them.

Contrary to your idea, those kinds of droplets, whether they contain viruses or not, will not penetrate thru a properly worn and fitted N95 respirator mask. That's why medical personnel who have to deal with very infectious patients wear the N95 type masks, and not the non-airtight drugstore variety.

There's a world of difference between the two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred white said:

But prayut needs the money for submarines

I just was in Thaiwatsadu to buy mouthmasks but they good ones from 3M were all sold out.

And i don't want no stupid brand like King Kong.

Thank you Prayuth! Also there were loads of fuming trucks/buses on the road as usual...when will you stop that?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

It is time the government came clean about the overpriced disposable facemasks being sold to millions of Thais in a tizzy over the Wuhan virus.

The truth is they are unfit for purpose. Or, in officialese, virologists are "sceptical about their effectiveness" in keeping out the corona or any other virus. 

So save your money and adopt more sensible and effective measures to avoid the remote possibility of becoming infected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344

The BBC article you linked above is primarily talking about the use of paper drugstore type masks, which are also called surgical masks in some quarters. It was not primarily talking about the very different N95 respirator masks. Plus there are plenty of medical experts who recommend wearing the N95 variety as an effective hygiene measure, provided who wear and care for them properly.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The BBC article you linked above is primarily talking about the use of paper drugstore type masks, which are also called surgical masks in some quarters. It was not primarily talking about the very different N95 respirator masks. Plus there are plenty of medical experts who recommend wearing the N95 variety as an effective hygiene measure, provided who wear and care for them properly.

You get what you pay for. An N95 respirator (which I use when the AQI count is high) is certainly preferable to the cheaper paper/fabric masks which most Thais seem to be wearing. But none of them are foolproof against viruses.

3 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

But none of them are foolproof against viruses.

Few things in the world are fool-proof... So all you can do is your best to improve your odds of emerging unscathed.

The main practical problems with the N95 masks here are:

1. Even in normal times, they're relatively expensive compared to the cheap paper masks, and you have to keep buying more because the typical consumer variety are disposable ones... Meaning there's a significant cost involved, which most Thais might not want to spend or understand the merits of.

2. But more to the point for right now, money aside, the N95 type masks are pretty much unavailable in Thailand (and elsewhere too) right now from most consumer retail sources... Meaning unless you've already got a stock at home or are importing them from abroad, you're likely going to be stuck with the cheap paper masks as the only available alternative.

9 hours ago, Thian said:

Absolutely. Money is paramount over all other concerns. And he never did have much affinity for the common man anyway. 

• Thanks 1

The "netizens" seem to be upset at just about everything these days. And what we are experiencing now is supply and demand. Supply goes down, demand rises and so do the prices. It is really the government's job to police retailers now?

It is just another useless and insincere declaration.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Few things in the world are fool-proof... So all you can do is your best to improve your odds of emerging unscathed.

The main practical problems with the N95 masks here are:

1. Even in normal times, they're relatively expensive compared to the cheap paper masks, and you have to keep buying more because the typical consumer variety are disposable ones... Meaning there's a significant cost involved, which most Thais might not want to spend or understand the merits of.

2. But more to the point for right now, money aside, the N95 type masks are pretty much unavailable in Thailand (and elsewhere too) right now from most consumer retail sources... Meaning unless you've already got a stock at home or are importing them from abroad, you're likely going to be stuck with the cheap paper masks as the only available alternative.

I got mine online, from Lazada.

Last night at the Naklua weekend night food festival Pattaya City were handing out free surgical masks to everyone who wanted them. Further down the street a street trader old lady seemingly had thousands of them. She had packs of 50 for 200 baht. As my missus went to buy a pack and the seller saw me she instantly said 300 baht. Cue missus kicking off and getting angry and walked on. I went back and saw she had now marked them up to 300 - paid it and got a pack.

The enterprising lady also had 50 ml alcohol sprays that she had probably knocked up herself on sale for 40 baht a pop which would have cost 3 or 4 baht each to make. Note to @DrTuner we saw it coming !

Seen a street trader in the soi next to Jomtien immigration as well and witnessed about 10 plod coming in for a photo op last week and headed out a princely half dozen to a lucky few in the front row for the TV.  Strongly suspect 100s of thousands have been handed out to districts for distribution and have become the new local currency for family and friends of the pi yais.

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From a reputable, established retailer on Lazada?

Or from some anonymous/unknown small-time seller who could just as well be selling Chinese counterfeits?

I'm not dead yet.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

I'm not dead yet.

Glad to hear that!

The problem with ordering such things, in a time like this, from unknown retailers on Lazada and similar places is there always has been a booming market in Thailand for counterfeit N95 masks....and many of them almost indistinguishable in appearance from the authentic ones .

When all the established retailers in stores and online are out of stock of N95 masks -- but then some unknown seller pops up on Lazada or EBay or such offering said masks -- there's at least a reasonable question of how they got them and whether it was from legitimate/authentic sources.

http://thairesidents.com/health/beware-fake-n95-masks-market-right-now/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

12 hours ago, Thian said:

Thai's are expendable and out ranked by  Chinese tourists, got to keep up the arrival numbers at any cost. 

Edited by Artisi