First border crossing for non-0 based on marriage

I received my first Non-0 multiple entry based on marriage from Laos last November and my first portion or visa is about to run out so I will have to make a quick border crossing, turn around and come back  to Thailand with another 90 day entry. . I am planning to do it all in one afternoon. Does it matter if you leave a few days before the first 90-day visa runs out. What I mean is suppose my first 90 days is up on March 5th. Is there any problem leaving on March 2nd and coming back on March 3rd instead of waiting until March 5th which is the last day of the first 90 day visa. I can't imagine there would be but I just want to be sure. 

Yes, as it is a Multi-Entry Visa you can exit/re-enter as much as you like/need and at any time during the Visa validity period.  After the 1-year Visa validity period you need a Re-Entry Permit to keep the remaining permission to stay alive.

As mentioned by Gregsmithy it's best to check whether the land-border you are considering for your border-hop does allow same-day exit/entry.  A simple query on the Forum would provide you with the answer.

12 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, as it is a Multi-Entry Visa you can exit/re-enter as much as you like/need and at any time during the Visa validity period.  After the 1-year Visa validity period you need a Re-Entry Permit to keep the remaining permission to stay alive.

As mentioned by Gregsmithy it's best to check whether the land-border you are considering for your border-hop does allow same-day exit/entry.  A simple query on the Forum would provide you with the answer.

I'm planning to use the Chong Chom border crossing in Surin. I believe they allow same day exit entry.

3 hours ago, khaepmu said:

I'm planning to use the Chong Chom border crossing in Surin. I believe they allow same day exit entry.

Yes, the Chong Chom border-crossing allows same day exit entry.  Same applies for the small and friendly Choam SaNgam crossing near SiSaKet.

Note: At Choam SaNgam they charge 1.200 THB for the cambodian Visa, so better bring US $ (30 US $ for the cambodian Visa).  Also since a couple of months they do not require 1 or 2 photo's anymore, as your picture is taken on application with the familiar device also seen at thai airports.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

I think you are confusing his 1-year Multi Entry Non-Imm-O visa based on marriage, with an 1-year Non-Imm-O/A

This Non-Imm-O visa will become invalid after 365 days.  There will be no "second year" and thus no Re-entry permits can be issued for an invalid visa. 

In case you mean, that if he exits and re-enters just short of the visa becoming invalid, to receive the last 90 days admitted stay, bringing him to almost 15 months of stay, the remaining admitted stay cannot be kept alive with a re-entry permit.  These permits are only keeping visa and extensions of stays alive, not admitted stay periods stamped into a passport. Please feel free to correct me if wrong.

If wrong, it is not the "second year" which can be kept alive by a re-entry, as he didn't get a full second year, but just the remaining last 90 days of the last admitted until stamp.

He can however visit the consulates of Savanakhet or Ho Chi Minh, to apply for a new 1-year Non-Imm-O based on marriage, without having to show finances.  Or on any other consulate or Embassy in the region (however different requirements such as finances etc). This will give him the "next" year - not the "second" year

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

I think you are confusing his 1-year Multi Entry Non-Imm-O visa based on marriage, with an 1-year Non-Imm-O/A

This Non-Imm-O visa will become invalid after 365 days.  There will be no "second year" and thus no Re-entry permits can be issued for an invalid visa. 

In case you mean, that if he exits and re-enters just short of the visa becoming invalid, to receive the last 90 days admitted stay, bringing him to almost 15 months of stay, the remaining admitted stay cannot be kept alive with a re-entry permit.  These permits are only keeping visa and extensions of stays alive, not admitted stay periods stamped into a passport. Please feel free to correct me if wrong.

If wrong, it is not the "second year" which can be kept alive by a re-entry, as he didn't get a full second year, but just the remaining last 90 days of the last admitted until stamp.

He can however visit the consulates of Savanakhet or Ho Chi Minh, to apply for a new 1-year Non-Imm-O based on marriage, without having to show finances.  Or on any other consulate or Embassy in the region (however different requirements such as finances etc). This will give him the "next" year - not the "second" year

Hi Greg,

I believe that what I wrote was fully correct (but if not, @ubonjoe might shed some light on the issue).

1. I wrote:

Yes, as it is a Multi-Entry Visa you can exit/re-enter as much as you like/need and at any time during the (ME Non Imm O - marriage) Visa validity period.  After the 1-year Visa validity period you need a Re-Entry Permit to keep the remaining permission to stay alive.

2. I was specifically referring to the Non Imm O - marriage Visa, and did not mention a 2nd year but referred to the 'remaining permission to stay', which would indeed be limited to 90 days max and for which he would need a re-entry permit to keep that permission to stay alive when exiting Thailand.

3. You wrote: > These permits (to stay) are only keeping visa and extensions of stays alive, not admitted stay periods stamped into a passport.

This is the main issue.

And I believe you are incorrect.  A re-entry permit does NOT keep a Visa or an extension of stay alive, but it keeps the permission to stay alive.

E.g. When re-entering Thailand on the last day of the 1-year validity of the ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa, you will be stamped in for a permission to stay of 90 days.  After that day your Visa will have expired, but your permission to stay for the next 90 days remains valid.  Should you during that period wish to exit Thailand and want to keep the remaining days of your permission to stay 'alive', you should then buy a Re-Entry Permit.  Exiting Thailand without such a Re-Entry Permit after your Visa has expired, will void the permission to stay that was granted on basis of that Visa. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree so far, as the re-entry permit keeps the last 90 days permission of stay alive.

however, what happened to the "second year" part of your post ?

Re-edited and vanished ?

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, khaepmu said:

Does it matter if you leave a few days before the first 90-day visa runs out.

No, definitely not.  This is the smart way to do it. Always pays to have 2 or 3 days ' in hand ' in case something unexpected turns up . Traffic accident or moved goalposts for example. This way you have a bit of time in hand to accommodate the unexpected.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, crazygreg44 said:

I agree so far, as the re-entry permit keeps the last 90 days permission of stay alive.

however, what happened to the "second year" part of your post ?

Re-edited and vanished ?

FYI > I never mentioned a 'second year' in my previous posts and only referred to the 'remaining permission to stay' to safeguard the remaining days from the permission to stay after your ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa validity did expire.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

FYI > I never mentioned a 'second year' in my previous posts and only referred to the 'remaining permission to stay' to safeguard the remaining days from the permission to stay after your ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa validity did expire.

ah, okay . . I now know what happened

I was simultaneously reading in Facebook Visa Advice Group, and replying to a topic in which said confusion about a non existent "second year" had arisen . . . and accidentally mixed it up when I replied to you

please accept my sincere apologies! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

ah, okay . . I now know what happened

I was simultaneously reading in Facebook Visa Advice Group, and replying to a topic in which said confusion about a non existent "second year" had arisen . . . and accidentally mixed it up when I replied to you

please accept my sincere apologies! 

Hi Greg, no problem!  And glad we are on same page re the issue.

4 hours ago, Denim said:

No, definitely not.  This is the smart way to do it. Always pays to have 2 or 3 days ' in hand ' in case something unexpected turns up . Traffic accident or moved goalposts for example. This way you have a bit of time in hand to accommodate the unexpected.

There have been a couple of posts recently of people with Non-Imm-O Multiples being turned away when trying to do a border bounce to activate another 90 day permit. So sound advice... one may have to spend a night over the border, or get to another one!

24 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There have been a couple of posts recently of people with Non-Imm-O Multiples being turned away when trying to do a border bounce to activate another 90 day permit. So sound advice... one may have to spend a night over the border, or get to another one!

One poster was denied exit trying to enter Cambodia at Ban Pakard. Got through but had to pay a 2000 baht bribe to Thai immigration. ( he was told he should get extension at CW )

The other account I read was of a poster returning from Vietnam who was given the third degree at the airport by a jobsworth immigration official. ( was told same as above )

I don't recall anybody with this type of visa actually being turned away but it is a worrying trend and nobody wants to be the first.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem at Chong Chom to do a out and back in on the same day.

it's funny to say that any border with Cambodia is safe when we clearly already know that sooner or later they will refuse same day return.

And you also forget to say that even if they accept, it costs 300 thb to leave Cambodia same day.