Thailand preparing to cash in on trade ties with UK after Brexit

snoop1130

3 hours ago, asanee said:

This lady must have good views for the future, knowing very well that BoJo has no clue about how to make a deal, will lead that island in the sea to poverty-and then they have to eat processed canned FISH wings!!-thats even less as a poor mans diet.

Perhaps it can all be made OK when they succeed in getting BoJo here, send a few Sukhumvit soi 8 ladies to him at his utter surprise (most of you Brits dont know anything else too-except those happily married with Isany ladies and living in Baan Nowhere) and then hastily struck some agreement so that shrewd Thai can have it all. Do you UKkies really think Thai will give you access to land as all other 200+ nations in this world cannot?

Land of smiles. LOL.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Only the naive would think that world is queuing up to do business with the UK. As already pointed out there is no such thing as a "free" trade agreement, they all come at a cost. Do people really think that the commonwealth nations will have forgotten how they were treated by Westminster in the past, there are no "friends" in trade agreements. India has already asked for more visas and NZ/Oz, like everyone else, want to sell more to the UK. Hardly surprising that Thailand and in particular Tesco are going to take every opportunity to increase imports to the UK. Greater imports is not in the UK interest and will impact greatly on UK jobs.

The US has it's sights on the UK pharmaceutical industry, big profits if they can jack up the price of medicines. Also out to remove the EU protected name arrangement to pursue greater sales to the UK.

Of course the brexiteer was never bothered about the knock on effects, or if Scotch comes from Scotland, if Cornish Pasties, Cumberland Sausage and the like are from England just as long as they got out of the EU.

Another bunch of gripes grapes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Another bunch of gripes grapes.

One day the reality of the bunch will sink in.

Most strikingly, one third said they would consider moving either their businesses or themselves across the Channel to remain part of the EU and its huge market.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-boris-johnson-small-businesses-leave-uk-eu-market-a9310356.html

PS Not holding my breath.

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, sandyf said:

One day the reality of the bunch will sink in.

Most strikingly, one third said they would consider moving either their businesses or themselves across the Channel to remain part of the EU and its huge market.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-boris-johnson-small-businesses-leave-uk-eu-market-a9310356.html

PS Not holding my breath.

The Independant....................????........Should rename itself........"The Doom & Gloom"...????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

No British citizenship and passports 

Off at a Tangent ,  Mrs been in the UK for 14 years. has British citizenship , She has worked for a ready meal factory for over 10 years now, A New Office Employee asked to see her visa, A Spanish person,   Mrs just showed her her British passport the next day.  The Mrs had the last laugh because on Monday she asked her if she had applied for her visa yet.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

UK should only agree to deal if UK citizens get the same rights as Thais do in UK, in other words able to own the freehold if a property 

I was told many years ago USA held Thailand to account over this and Thailand agreed Americans can own X amount of land to build a house on however as of yet no land office in the whole country has signed one single land dead to an American. Welcome to the land of deals.... I remember there was a trade deal with Chile and I was extatic as love their red wine...... Yep not one baht decrease in the price. Welcome to Thai-lie-tomuch. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, ‘free’ trade with Thailand! 

The Australians signed an FTA in 2004 from memory. It’s only since the 1 of Jan 2020 since they’ve been able to come in tariff free, and only for processing.

Um hold on, what was that?? The Thai side still haven’t put in the legislative and regulatory building blocks in place to make it happen? 

This is the future the UK chose over access to a seamless market!  555

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, pixelaoffy said:

UK should only agree to deal if UK citizens get the same rights as Thais do in UK, in other words able to own the freehold if a property 

At least 1 Rai, let's not be greedy.

10 hours ago, mrfill said:

And Thailand should insist that their citizens can get 30 day visa exempt entry then.

...twice a year only though...

8 hours ago, andygrr said:

Hopfully then Thailand would get added to the list of countries where your UK pension is not frozen.

Yes, and more UK banks in Thailand, and ILR and the automatic right to work or run a business in Thailand for UK spouses, would be pretty good reciprocity. A return to the Bowring Treaty or before, with the right to own a business 100% as US citizens.

Don't object to having some thresholds for income and education for long-stayers either way.

Edited by codebunny
  • Haha 1

Free trade my backside.  Nothing is free. All is protectionism.

quid pro quo.

30 day visa exempt, not a problem, as Taksin seems to have been able to to come and go as he pleases..And certain others, that warranted 3 unmarked police cars racing up the M3 from Farnborough airport to London on a regular basis.

18 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Can we get the Thai Government to enter into a reciprocal agreement including pensions? Can we get the 5000 frozen UK pensioners to lobby this Minister. Worth a try!

The UK government have no intention of any new reciprocal agreements, other than with the EU. Apparently it was the contribution by the expats in Europe that put the great in Great Britain.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, pixelaoffy said:

I can see something  like that ..
The English have always been the "kings" of commerce;
it would surprise me that they sign something that does not make them a few billion pounds sterling.
And at the same time they could send back to Thailand this rotten fish that is the murderer of a Thai police officer, the kid of the billionaire family ...

Edited by Assurancetourix

Could that mean free visas for Brits?  555, LOL, I doubt that would ever happen, but I'm in hope the move may make the life's of many Brits, who by the way have spent a lot of money within Thailand for decades; unlike Indian or Chinese natonals, much easier and fair unlike now...

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Of course the UK was right to leave the worlds biggest trading block which just happened to be on its doorstep to do a great deal with Thailand.

You are certainly not English or a traitor to your country.
You did not understand that the EU is a farce created only so that those who already have almost everything can have absolutely everything.
I look forward to the next president of France having the balls to make sure that France comes out of this bee-eater ,  follow the GB and thus regain its freedom.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, asanee said:

Do you UKkies really think Thai will give you access to land as all other 200+ nations in this world cannot?

A little trip to school to follow some English lessons seems necessary .....
I see that you have not yet fully understood that Thailand is already an almost Chinese province ... as are Laos and Cambodia ...
Only Vietnam still resists because they are the only ones in Asia who know how to win a war against the Chinese.

• Confused 1

On 2/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, pixelaoffy said:

Yep, and let's have every Brit who wants to visit as a tourist fill out several pages of an intrusive form saying how much they spend, who their parents are, how much they give to them each month, how much money they have, what possessions they have, what their job is and how much they earn, a letter from their employer, list every place been to over the last five years (and reason for visiting), possibly have an interview and prove they are not a prostitute.  I agree, fair's fair, same rights for all.

• Haha 2

From now until the end of 2020, it will be a transition period of 11 months for the UK to remain under British regulations but without voting rights. 

Yet more quality reporting here on TV - it really is atrocious, in nearly every single article.

During the transition period the UK is under EU regulations but without voting rights, not British regulations - such bad bad bad reporting, totally wrong.  (Which makes all the people banging on that we finally have control seem pretty stupid - we have far less control than we ever had)

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 6:36 PM, Laughing Gravy said:

Waiting for all the doomsayers who want the UK to fail after a democratic referendum and the people voted out.

Not to worry there is a big world outside of the EU and Thailand would be smart to take the opportunity to trade with the UK.

Yes, there is a big world out there eager to sell...google "australia car industry fta thailand" to see what may happen to the UK car industry 5-10 years after a FTA with Thailand is signed. No cars are manufactured in Oz now, and our market is fairly sizable - around 60% of the UK market size.

On 2/3/2020 at 6:36 PM, Laughing Gravy said:

Waiting for all the doomsayers who want the UK to fail after a democratic referendum and the people voted out.

Not to worry there is a big world outside of the EU and Thailand would be smart to take the opportunity to trade with the UK.

What you actually mean is you want all dissent to Brexit to stop because people pointing out the stupidity of it hurts.

But we get it. You won.

Now deal with the consequences. 

On 2/3/2020 at 5:21 PM, snoop1130 said:

There may be a slight fluctuation in the value of the pound.

Slight?  In my time here it's gone from 73 to 38.  My spending has been reduced by 50%.  Amazingly not ONE item of UK food product has ever gone down in price despite the strength of the baht.  Pure profiteering and then they expect us to feel sorry for Thai companies suffering from a dearth of Chinese?