PM Prayut points to panic caused by fake news as worst aspect of virus crisis

webfact

34 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Looking in the mirror would be a good starting point

I'm happy for you to give me a quoted example of where I have " disseminate distorted, inaccurate or false news".

Please do let me know. I will wait patiently.

Edited by Farangwithaplan

Some of the things I am getting really tired of:

1. Prayut stating there is nothing to worry about.

2. People saying this is just like a normal influenza.

3. People comparing the death procent to SARS.

Anyone with common sense and the ability to think just a bit, should be able to see that this is VERY worrying.

Thailand is acting the exact same ways as China did, before they were forced to raise the alarm. And the result can be seen in Wuhan today. It is NOT just a common flu situation there. I see very little chance of Thailand not ending like Wuhan or even worse. Thailand of all countries has the biggest chance, that is just plain facts.

Personally, I am beyond panic mode. I am now going to stock up food and other suppliers, so my family is ready for this. I hope, I am very wrong and something stops this. But better be safe than sorry.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

I hate fake politicans and fake governments who claim or intimate they are legitimate even though the people know the truth.   The coronavirus will be controlled in time but the damage being done by fake politician's and fake government goes on and on.......possibly for eternity.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Reminds me a lot of how China is dealing with all this. The CCP are spreading fake news that all is under control and stating numbers that are much lower than the real numbers. Meanwhile they’re going after people who speculate and who are genuinely worried. 

Oh right. Then I'm sure you would be happy to give us the real numbers?

I look forward to seeing them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Figures. 15% death rate and spreads 6 feet from anyone in cough or sneezing distance. 

Figures, 2% death rate and falling, recovery rate 3% and rising and even with a simple paper mask spreads 0 feet from anyone in cough or sneezing distance. I think most people have grasped that thank you.

6 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Figures, 2% death rate and falling, recovery rate 3% and rising and even with a simple paper mask spreads 0 feet from anyone in cough or sneezing distance. I think most people have grasped that thank you.

One should be careful when using the term   "death rate". Using the same logic, we should no longer concern ourselves with whooping cough, or measles, or mumps because their death rates are even lower than this illness.  The reality is that this is still an unknown and unlike seasonal flu which has a  vaccine strategy, there is no vaccine for this illness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Then how can you claim that the ones released are understated?

Well, for example, in China, some places have run out of test kits and are waiting for new ones. That's a fairly huge factor in reporting accurate numbers for coronavirus diagnosis. 

In Thailand, for example, we haven't had any official updates on numbers and we have to wait. We simply don't know, but we can look at how this virus is spreading and make educated guesses. My guess would be that number has gone up. 

Oh, one last thing, since when do communist governments, or governments closely tied to them, tell their citizens information that might make them look bad or they're not 100% in control. Case in point, Prayut telling us it's all 100% under control. 

Edited by rkidlad

48 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

"It takes a worried man to sing a worried song

I'm worried now

But I won't be worried long"!

From a song my father used to sing.I hope your worries are able to be dispelled soon.

Lonnie Donegan if my memory serves me well.  Oh and that was from 'Wheels on fire '.   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He reassured the Thai public that their Government is capable of containing the spread of the coronavirus

To my knowledge no other government in the world has this confidence at present.  100% under control like the Pollution Apocalypse hey.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

To my knowledge no other government in the world has this confidence at present.  100% under control like the Pollution Apocalypse hey.

Someone just died of the coronavirus in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is one of the best places in the world to be equipped and prepared for an outbreak. If Hong Kong medical staff are this worried and want their borders closed, how on god's green earth can Thailand say it's 100% under control.

Anyway, the government here is now threatening legal action against people who politicize the coronavirus or PM2.5. Seems like something straight out of the CCP handbook. This is not the actions of a group of people who have this 100% under control. 

Edited by rkidlad

9 minutes ago, sameasb4 said:

with all the flights still coming from china except what was stopped by china what is the latest number of cases in thailand? have googled nothing, last week it was 14 nothing in the last 7 day so must be 100% under control

The Thai government arent releasing updated figures for the time being. Thus, they cannot be accused of lying about figures if they are not announced in the first place.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

"It takes a worried man to sing a worried song

I'm worried now

But I won't be worried long"!

From a song my father used to sing.I hope your worries are able to be dispelled soon.

Can you remember the artist who sang it ?  very dylanesque .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

Can you remember the artist who sang it ?  very dylanesque .

No but my older sister might she's got a thick book which seems to have every song ever written.Not sure if Dylan did a cover or not but I agree I can easily hear him singing it.

the panic is being caused more by the chinese response than any fake news out there

unless of course we are to believe that quarantining 56 million people, shutting down all schools and non-essential industry is an appropriate response to a little "seasonal flu" from a country with an opaque and insular society.

either its nothing and china is over reacting or its something and panic is well and truly justified. at least for those in china anyway.

when i was young and stupid i'd have just gone to my local and not given a <deleted> until it banged on my front door. now i'm older and responsible for young lives i think a little wait and see is justified. but i understand those who are going to crack on. life is too short after all. hope for the world it just blows over quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Someone just died of the coronavirus in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is one of the best places in the world to be equipped and prepared for an outbreak. If Hong Kong medical staff are this worried and want their borders closed, how on god's green earth can Thailand say it's 100% under control.

Anyway, the government here is now threatening legal action against people who politicize the coronavirus or PM2.5. Seems like something straight out of the CCP handbook. This is not the actions of a group of people who have this 100% under control. 

Agreed - This government has shown time and time again they are willing to put money to the 1% well above the health and well being of its citizens.  The pollution apocalypse is just one example.  Corona virus is another.  The sad part is that its very short term thinking because on both fronts the longer term revenue loss will be much higher than preventative measures.  Sadly looking to tomorrow isnt a strong trait of many Thai people and particularly those in charge. 

• Like 1