Passport Renewal Taking Longer Than Expected

I have done a few searches on Internet and here, but can't seem to find the right answer.

My passport expires early next month and despite starting early January I still haven't managed to book an application interview (for several reasons: both my fault and Bangkok HMPO's fault, so no need for comments about that). 

Now I am told there is a 14 day waiting list and I have once again applied for an interview.

Edit: I have been told that it usually takes about 12 - 14 days from interview date to actually receiving the new passport, so it is going to be tight (assuming they accept my application).

My question is: What can I do about my visa extension if I haven't received my new passport by March 2?

Edited by petedk

You're talking about a British passport ("HMPO")? A friend of mine handed in his paperwork at the VfS office in Bangkok and got his new passport back inside three weeks. He certainly wasn't subject to a 14-day waiting list

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I don't think you will be able to extend your visa or get an Extension of Stay, if your passport has expired.  You'll just have to hope you get the new one in time, or return to the UK and get one there. 

I agree. Thai immigration never grant an extension beyond a passport expiry date.

UK passports have been taking just over 2 weeks (but the gov.uk website says allow 4 weeks) and you still have to get an appointment at  VfS...... I would try walking because the has left himself desperately short on time - personally, I think he will struggle to make it, especially if he is not close to Bangkok.

10 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

You're talking about a British passport ("HMPO")? A friend of mine handed in his paperwork at the VfS office in Bangkok and got his new passport back inside three weeks. He certainly wasn't subject to a 14-day waiting list

The waiting time may be for a VfS appointment but that would be an unusually long waiting time.

• Like 1

OP, seems like your between rock and hard place. This most likely a very dumb suggestion but keep in mind just trying to assist. Is it at all possible to physically go to VFS and explain your situation. Even if it meant waiting all day. Perhaps someone does not show up for appointment. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, seems like your between rock and hard place. This most likely a very dumb suggestion but keep in mind just trying to assist. Is it at all possible to physically go to VFS and explain your situation. Even if it meant waiting all day. Perhaps someone does not show up for appointment. 

If you just turn up at Trendy, it is actually difficult even to get to talk with VFS. You are checked for an appointment confirmation before you are even allowed in the lift (elevator).

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

If you just turn up at Trendy, it is actually difficult even to get to talk with VFS. You are checked for an appointment confirmation before you are even allowed in the lift (elevator).

Yeah. I have been trendy couple times with Thai gf to assist tourist visa application to OZ.

Obviously your UK and very experienced poster. The OP time frame sounds dicey.

Going to be be expensive booking flight home at last minute. On top of that, is pp handed over to VFS?

What would you suggest. I'm sure others at some point might be in same gig.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yeah. I have been trendy couple times with Thai gf to assist tourist visa application to OZ.

Obviously your UK and very experienced poster. The OP time frame sounds dicey.

Going to be be expensive booking flight home at last minute. On top of that, is pp handed over to VFS?

What would you suggest. I'm sure others at some point might be in same gig.

First, while the application is in progress, you are allowed to hang on to your passport. You provide photocopies of every page of your current passport and show VFS your original.

He should email VFS tonight (so they see his email first thing tomorrow morning) explaining the urgency, and asking if they can provide a priority interview immediately. Make sure the application is perfect (maybe get someone smarter than he is to check everything). Then, he should cross his fingers. If two days (possibly longer to ensure he can visit Immigration in time) before the end date of his permission to stay no standard passport has been issued, he should talk to the UK embassy about getting an emergency passport to be used for his extension.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Interview for passport? .. must be specific to some countries. Maybe OP can get an expedited interview date.. 

Although called an interview, that is not really what it is. It is a reserved time slot to check your documents and accept your passport application. In the event some weird situation occurs which requires a real interview, this will be carried out by UK consular officials.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

I used an agent for my passport renewal. No interview nonsense. However, the passport took 2 months before I received the new one. I think it would have taken longer but for the intervention of my MP.

I have made a written complaint on the UK government website. I actually wrote 3 emails (now up to 5) to clarify exactly what documents I need. The VFS requirements don't match the requirements written on the UK Gov website.

Yesterday, for the first time, I was informed that I need a colour photocopy of every page of my passport. I have to show my current passport, but not hand it in and I cannot travel on it. This was new information and contradictory to the UK gov website.

Another little point is that the English they use in the emails can be a little difficult to understand.

Edited by petedk

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I am thinking of doing this. Surely an application can't take many minutes - especially if I have all documents with me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, petedk said:

I have made a written complaint on the UK government website. I actually wrote 3 emails (now up to 5) to clarify exactly what documents I need. The VFS requirements don't match the requirements written on the UK Gov website.

Yesterday, for the first time, I was informed that I need a colour photocopy of every page of my passport. I have to show my current passport, but not hand it in and I cannot travel on it. This was new information and contradictory to the UK gov website.

Another little point is that the English they use in the emails can be a little difficult to understand.

Did you ever read this page: https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult. It includes

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

If you have difficulty navigating sites like https://www.passport.service.gov.uk, it might be wise to have someone help ensure you have everything in order before attempting to go further with your application. You cannot afford further delay.

I don't want to be critical of the OP but when I renewed my UK passport at Trendy I thought it was a simple and courteous procedure. To blame Trendy for his shortcomings is a bit rich. Having to travel to Bangkok twice is the main drawback. As already mentioned if no booking you can not even get on the lift.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Interview for passport? .. must be specific to some countries. Maybe OP can get an expedited interview date.. 

Well, it was a kind of interview to present my papers and answer any questions that they may have had e.g. I was told that my photo was too "smiley" but they would process it anyway and I was to expect a denial in due course, which I am pleased to say never happened.

Cheers RtS

2 hours ago, petedk said:

You need to look at the right pages of the website.  If you click 'Thailand', for where you are applying from, you are directed to the correct appendices which explain quite clearly what is required, including the photocopy of all your passport pages and the fact you retain your old passport for ID purposes (but not for travel) during the process.

I'm afraid your complaint has little justification.

23 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

same for me when I renewed my passport....had my new one within 3 weeks....UK PASSPORT....poster does not state which countries passport he/she is talking about !!

1 hour ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I don't want to be critical of the OP but when I renewed my UK passport at Trendy I thought it was a simple and courteous procedure. To blame Trendy for his shortcomings is a bit rich. Having to travel to Bangkok twice is the main drawback. As already mentioned if no booking you can not even get on the lift.

i stayed overhight in a cheapish hotel.....also gave me a break from seeing Koh Larn and the sea everyday !!!

Trendy were very helpfull, so I have no complaints what so ever

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petedk said:

I am thinking of doing this. Surely an application can't take many minutes - especially if I have all documents with me.

you have to print off then fill in all relevant forms/paperwork   see website for what is required....people at Trendy will help/advise, that is if you there in person...

1 hour ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Yes, VFS are merely agents of HMPO who, I think, are the real villains of the piece here for inflicting on us Brits a passport renewal process which is bureaucratically cumbersome and awkward for the many who don't live within spitting distance of Bangkok or Chiang Mai in particular.

Even our American cousins can still renew their passports here in Thailand by having to travel no further than their local post office!

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

2 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Exactly the same . Went to Trendy about 3 years ago , needed to find the place so arrived 2 days before the required date and we were told an earlier time was fine , that very day if we wished.  Only drawback was the wife going to BKK to collect new PP.

( she had a brother there so accom. and travel around free .)  I believe UK PPs can now be got in Chiang Mai.

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You need to look at the right pages of the website.  If you click 'Thailand', for where you are applying from, you are directed to the correct appendices which explain quite clearly what is required, including the photocopy of all your passport pages and the fact you retain your old passport for ID purposes (but not for travel) during the process.

I'm afraid your complaint has little justification.

Ok. I looked at the UK Gov website.

There was a point that said "use the overseas tool". I pressed Thailand and was sent back in a circle. Didn't get any further information.

I downloaded the PDF "Applying for a passport from outside the UK: guidance notes". This was even sent to me by the VSF. There is NOTHING in that about colour copies of passport.

Edit: Sorry, I am not sure how the highlighting appeared. 

Edited by petedk

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Did you ever read this page: https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult. It includes

If you have difficulty navigating sites like https://www.passport.service.gov.uk, it might be wise to have someone help ensure you have everything in order before attempting to go further with your application. You cannot afford further delay.

You are correct . I didn't see that.

Thank you

6 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Maybe they are courteous. I haven't had any personal contact with them yet. That is basically what I am complaining about. Everything goes via email and takes time. A short phone call would have been a great help.

As I said I didn't expect to have to wait 14 days for an application slot. I guess I should have booked the application slot first and then sorted out the other problems.

As several posters here have mentioned, they didn't have to wait for 14 days for an interview.

I stated in my email that I could be at Trendy building within 15 minutes as I work near there. All this was completely disregarded in the standard emails. "Please supply 3 available times". A phone call may have helped as maybe someone didn't turn up or any other reason.. I not saying it would have done, but I didn't have the chance to find out. 

Edit: What surprise me is that 3 days after they told me that February 13 was the first available slot, I wrote back February 13 9.00 and that was accepted. S in 3 days no other applicant applied?

Edited by petedk