Coronavirus: Thai tourism ministry admits Chinese tourism now down 80% - losses in the billions

webfact

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

I'm sure you meant that as a joke.  Novel coronavirus just means 'new' (novel)

The point I was addressing is that they withheld information about it. They didn't have information on it, because it was new and hadn't been recognised as new by process of elimination of known viruses at that stage.

Yes I worded it wrongly. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

All our countries are in tune with each other, but China still is segregates a separate entity and xenophobic phobia they are the chosen ones full attitude to all. Beware, this is only the 3rd or 4th stage beginning of the beginning of population decrease. There is no need to have these laboratories in countries in the act of National security. But the USA-Canada- Russia- and Chinses and India all have these stage 4 labs. Scary huh? BTW. I hope I am still here and posting and not banned or eliminated as ...….as this is all true a to the best of my knowledge. 

Good for you Traubert…. Your laughter is wrong. 

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The World Health Organisation has the diametrically opposite view to yours but who would you let in, no one? 

All these countries have confirmed cases, Belgium, Cambodia, Canada, Hong Kong, Macau, Finland, France Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Nepal, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Kore, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Taiwan, UAE, UK, US, Vietnam.   Which ones are ok to be allowed into Thailand by your judgement or is just the Chinese who should be banned?

yes

• Haha 1

In case anyone has the genius idea this will loosen the restrictions placed on single men floating about the world in search of a beer bar and piece of ass.

They know you're all headed back to Pattaya to live in a 4500b pm flat. Only beneficiaries are Chang beer, the local Tuesday, Friday market for clothes, the restaurant serving khao phat and khao man gai and that grumpy/fugly 36 year old mother off Beach road you grab for b400 on a regular basis.

This lot simply not needed.

Edited by Number 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2020 at 11:34 AM, webfact said:

Losses to the tourism sector are now being reported as 9.1 billion baht.

How do you lose something you have never had?  Because I never won the $50 million Friday night lottery, which I planned on winning, does not mean that I lost $50 million!

• Like 1

This going to hit Pattaya really badly, I expect that the empty hotels will have to put their prices up to mitigate the loses. The Golden Goose is well and truly cooked this year at least. see what happens when you put all your eggs in one Chinese basket?

• Like 1

Big spenders or not, they don't even try to change the bad reputation they have. Don't even seem to care.

Just  watched a Chinese women swimming in our condo pool ( renting), just swam up to the side, hawked and spat it out on the side of the pool, right by by terrace. I shouted at her, she just stared at me and swam away. Still swimming with not a care in the world.

Disgusting at the best of times, but with this corona virus going around, it's scary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Number 6 said:

In case anyone has the genius idea this will loosen the restrictions placed on single men floating about the world in search of a beer bar and piece of ass.

They know you're all headed back to Pattaya to live in a 4500b pm flat. Only beneficiaries are Chang beer, the local Tuesday, Friday market for clothes, the restaurant serving khao phat and khao man gai and that grumpy/fugly 36 year old mother off Beach road you grab for b400 on a regular basis.

This lot simply not needed.

Sounds good to me, thanks for the info. 

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2020 at 3:49 PM, TheFishman1 said:

Thailand will never learn 

To learn you have to have at least a small degree of intelligence to know <deleted> just happened and what proactive actions can we take to 1) mitigate the problem and 2) plan for contingencies to deal with the problem effectively in the future. 

What's our plan 'B'; a rhetorical question of course, there is no plan 'B' for anything in Thailand, it's plan 'A' only come hell or high water, or in this case the coronavirus.   

Nothing new to see here in Thailand just keep smiling until the problem goes away and / or destroys the place! 

4 hours ago, nong38 said:

This going to hit Pattaya really badly, I expect that the empty hotels will have to put their prices up to mitigate the loses. The Golden Goose is well and truly cooked this year at least. see what happens when you put all your eggs in one Chinese basket?

You've cooked the Golden Goose??

I hope you cooked it well, it's been dying annually since 2008.

4 hours ago, nong38 said:

Why would having a huge number of Chinese tourists coming to Thailand be considered as putting all the eggs in one basket? Are you proposing that Thailand restrict the number of China tourists that may enter each year to a million instead of 10 million? Should restaurants around the world put up notices which limit Chinese customers to only 10 a day?

Talking about putting all the eggs in one basket, I think Thailand's big tourism sector is not good for them. I have been postponing my visit to Bangkok for the past few months because of the poor air quality. The very strong baht caused by strong tourist arrivals may affect the export sector and future tourist arrivals. So many factors can affect tourist arrivals so over-dependence on tourism is not good as a whole.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

They act as a repellant for Europeans. They don't gel together.

If Europeans avoid Thailand because there are too many Chinese tourists then that's a good thing for Thailand - Thailand's image as a major sex tourism destination might finally go away if farangs stay away. After all, the Chinese are not known to be big time sex tourists.

Once the Bangkok-Nong Khai HSR line is built, I believe Isaan people could have a better life once investments from China pour into this region that is the poorest in Thailand. Nobody in their right mind would like their daughters to work as bargirls in Bangkok or Pattaya.

Edited by Selatan
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Perhaps short term. But in the long term it will be Thailand swimming into China's net and ending up as a second tier vassal state. Euros or Americans wont care at that point, they will have left the building. Up to them.

I think the authorities in Thailand know which side their bread is buttered on. Under Trump, America is closing its doors. Europe is facing all sorts of problems and not exactly an economic powerhouse. It is a no brainer to conclude that China will be the biggest investor in Thailand going forwards. Thailand is merely doing the logical thing and throwing their support behind China. Rightly or wrongly, Thailand will trust China more than they will America/Europe. 

On 2/6/2020 at 10:49 PM, Selatan said:

Once the Bangkok-Nong Khai HSR line is built, I believe Isaan people could have a better life once investments from China pour into this region that is the poorest in Thailand. Nobody in their right mind would like their daughters to work as bargirls in Bangkok or Pattaya.

They'd like it even less as a slave bride in China. 

No money in it either.

There was plenty of brothel where I was when living on Ratchadapisek catering to Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. The difference is that everything is done behind closed door and curtains. They don't walk on the street with their "girlfriend" of the night. 

images (9).jpeg

Edited by Tayaout
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Tayaout said:

There was plenty of brothel where I was when living on Ratchadapisek catering to Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. The difference is that everything is done behind closed door and curtains. They don't walk on the street with their "girlfriend" of the night. 

images (9).jpeg

I lived in Huai Khwang as well and the area is full of those huge massage places. White guys rarely venture that far but it is one of the hubs for Chinese and has the Chinese Embassy nearby as well.

On 2/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, Deli said:

I wish it would stay like this !

Bring the THB down and Westerners will come back as well.

No Westerners are going to come back after the moron health minister wants to kick us all out because we all wear face mask. What about all the local idiots I don't see wearing face masks? I guess it must interfere with them picking boogers out of their nose constantly and then wiping their hands all over everything. Filthy nasty disgusting people!!!

• Like 1