South Korean woman tests positive for coronavirus after Thailand visit

webfact

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Because the MoPH has never explained in their reports just what they mean by "severe" case...

But at least when they tell you they've put people into isolation, it means there's a real risk of them spreading something nasty other than the common seasonal flu.

I will presume they assume most will infer that there is some advanced pneumonia such as from NY Times for Philippines:

The man, whose name was not released, was a resident of Wuhan, China, the center of the outbreak. He died on Saturday after developing what officials called "severe pneumonia." (Their quotes)

I would also presume a "severe"case" is one where the believe the patient has a good chance not to survive. It's in the report but  you can ignore it if you so choose.

Edited by SkyFax

48 minutes ago, Sunderland said:

Also for the other 19 patients who entered/developed the virus inside Thailand. Sparse details on those.

thats what i was thinking especially as the rest of the world seems to know something we don't be taking the situation more seriously.

i'd say a few "tourists dies in thailand" headlines and the planes will stop coming

4 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

I would also presume a "severe"case" is one where the believe the patient has a good chance not to survive. It's in the report but  you can ignore if if you so choose.

There's nothing in the Thai government daily reports that talks about patients having chances to survive or not.

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Home?Oh you mean how many taxis/busses/tuk tuks she caught?Where did she eat what movie theatres she visited or how many school kids she came in contact with?That sort of thing? does it really matter?Do you really believe there's anywhere on this planet that you can go to avoid infection?

The logistics are mind-boggling - I understand the infected Chinese student in York, had his movements traced back to the flight into the UK, with all on board being contacted, or an attempt contact. We may hear more but one would assume they'd have to be tested after being contacted, thus minimising further spread. But that's the UK ! 

• Like 1

Wow jan 19.  Earlier than I thought.   I departed jan 21.  2 more taxi drivers? Or two total? 

I've said and many of my posts before that All I see in eyes in Thailand is greed and look what it's done.   The genie is out.  Are some top officials going to do a red bull?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Tanarak Plipat, deputy director-general of the Thai Department of Disease Control, said the woman could have contracted the virus in Thailand.

"It's possible because the virus is already spreading domestically in Thailand," Tanarak said.

And the ministry want to promote "domestic tourism"   ?????

The ignorance of some ministers has no limits, a bit like the salaries they're on!

4 hours ago, DLock said:

It just needs a few more like this, and a few Chinese going home in body bags to really put the exclamation mark on "Tourism is Dead"

Thailand, you have a window to do something meaningful and be a leader...because right now, you aren't even a follower.

Weak.

suggestions ?  What do you think that they should be doing?

15 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And the ministry want to promote "domestic tourism"   ?????

Of course. The sooner the entire population has the virus, the sooner they can open the floodgates for Chinese tourists again. The faster it spreads the better.

I don't understand the panic, even if you live in Bangkok you should be more worried about air pollution than corona. How many people have died worldwide from influenza since the body count for corona started. How many people have died in traffic accidents in Thailand up till now since the first person was found to have the corona virus in Thailand. The fatality rate for corona is 2.1% and is only dangerous for people with a weakened immune system, by comparison this flu season in the USA has killed 10,000 people thus far. Untwist your knickers and look twice before you cross the road, that is more dangerous here.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

I think people should be made aware of her movements 

authorities in Thailand should be retracing exactly what she did when and where

Rest assured they know all. Doing everything possible to protect money. It was not to long ago “ Thailand has everything under control “.  Not good.

• Like 1