Security Camera Issue

KhaoYai

Perhaps someone with a better understanding of 'tech' could answer this?

I finally got around to having 3BB broadband installed at my house last November and as a resuly was able to install an IP security camera.  I monitored the camera regularly and all was fine until 2 weeks from my last visit when it stopped working and I got a message saying the camera was offline.

When I arrived in Thailand I discovered the problem was with 3BB, reported it and it was fixed very quickly.  Now I'm back in the UK and sometimes when I check the camera its offline, sometimes its working.  The default settings provide a log every 15 minutes for about 2 minutes (recording) - I presume this is to check the camera.

I have no idea whether the problem lies with the camera, 3BB or an electrical fault. I'm leaning towards a 3BB problem because when I check the 15 minute logs, they're all there - there are no periods without the 2 minute recordings every 15 minutes. My thinking is therefore that the camera is working normally or it wouldn't create the logs and that I'm seeing the camera as 'offline' when I check because the system is unable to connect due to a wifi outage.

The camera is a Starcam C24s and the remote monitoring system is Eye4. I receive alarm notifications by e-mail on my phone and when the camera is working, the alarm works correctly.

16 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

It was caused by the internet provider updating my IP number very often, and the DDNS settings from the camera was still keep using the old IP number.

Forgive my (potential) lack of understanding how these things work but surely if it was a problem caused by the IP address being changed, the camera would go offline and stay offline.  My problem is intermittent.

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Forgive my (potential) lack of understanding how these things work but surely if it was a problem caused by the IP address being changed, the camera would go offline and stay offline.  My problem is intermittent.

Actually no, the camera could come back online but at a different random IP address and without having some way to discover that address you would not be able to access it. 

Your intermittent disconnection is more difficult to diagnose. If you are accessing it by in IP address that is one case. If however you are accessing a server that redirects you (often in China) then that server will not be checking its connection very often so there could be a lag in updating the connection.

You need a way of checking to see if your Thai IP address is changing. Easy from inside the network a bit less so from outside.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you are accessing it by in IP address that is one case. If however you are accessing a server that redirects you (often in China)

I presume its a server. I downloaded the Eye4 application to my phone and had to enter a code number from the back of the camera. The camera is Chinese - hard to find one that isn't, so I presume the server is in Thailand. 

As an aside, the instruction book is written in terrible English and uses terms that I've never heard used in English.

The security camera system controls the IP address update request not the DDNS service server.

When a IP change is detected the DDNS server is sent a request to update the account IP.

Update delays usually come from poor quality DDNS service (free service provided with camera) or failed internet connection somewhere along the route. Software handling the request will make repeat calls until a successful update has been made with the DDNS service.

Reliable camera monitoring requires a reliable DDNS service and a stable network connection. A decent service will allow the user to monitor update requests from the camera system at the DDNS service.

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

i presume its a server. I downloaded the Eye4 application to my phone and had to enter a code number from the back of the camera. The camera is Chinese - hard to find one that isn't, so I presume the server is in Thailand. 

It’s not likely that it’s a Thai server, there certainly could be ones in Thailand but I haven’t heard of one, it is far more likely that it’s in China. The big Chinese companies usually have the backed equipment at home. So the majority of cameras and security systems that do not have on site ability to stream from your house directly are feeding to Chinese servers, or at least are running the location service via Chinese backends. 

There was a case very recently where a particular model of one Chinese security camera had a flaw so that some users going via a google service through China, were getting random camera feeds so google had to shut them all down for a while.

Aqara is one that is in the process of setting up an out of China server (I think in the EU) but currently everything goes to, or through, China.

the server IP is often hard coded into the IOT device and Thailand is such a small market it’s unlikely to have a special firmware. 

Well, a lot of this goes well over my head ????. Can't help thinking that the problem is simply 3BB related though.  The camera itself is clearly not shutting down as all the 15 minute recordings are there. I did receive one alarm report by e-mail and when I checked the recording it was clearly caused by a momentary power outage (common) - the camera self tests, it moves up and down then right and left when its first turned on. The 'alarm' recording was clearly caused by this self test as the camera can be seen moving so I guess the power flickered - this was only once though.

Next trip is all travelling - only one night at home but I'll contact 3BB and try to get their engineers to come and check the connection on that day.

I have five VStarcam C24 also three of the more expensive outdoor Vstarcams. They all use the Eye app. The c24s all  take it in turns to go off line regulaly then come back on again for no apparant reason whatsoever.

I have CAT rock solid fiber and its nothing to do with the provider it just seems to be a glitch with these low cost cameras.

The more expensive outdoor Vstar cams do not seem to do it quite as often. But regardless am pretty tired of this problem and am gradually replacing them all. 

They are very good for what they are and what they cost but they are still low end cheap little cameras

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I have five VStarcam C24 also three of the more expensive outdoor Vstarcams. They all use the Eye app. The c24s all  take it in turns to go off line regulaly then come back on again for no apparant reason whatsoever.

I have CAT rock solid fiber and its nothing to do with the provider it just seems to be a glitch with these low cost cameras.

The more expensive outdoor Vstar cams do not seem to do it quite as often. But regardless am pretty tired of this problem and am gradually replacing them all. 

They are very good for what they are and what they cost but they are still low end cheap little cameras

Thank you for that. I was thinking of buying more but I won't if the problem is with the camera itself. If yours are going offline often can you please check if they are still in fact working when they are 'offline'. By that I mean are they still making the 15 minute recordings to the memory card?

Any ideas on an alternative?

Edited by KhaoYai

We don't have enough information from the OP on his camera set up to remote diagnose his problem

I have an internet enabled Panasonic camera in a weather proof 360 degree enclosure in the US which I can remotely control from any web browser.  LAN cabled directly to router and it is "hosted" by Panasonic @ viewnetcam.com for free and has pretty much worked flawlessly for years now 

For the inside of my garage I have a WiFi enabled $20 WYZE fixed camera, which has also been pretty reliable, and even has the ability to "see in the dark" and alert me via SMS if there is any activity in the garage 

Here in Thailand I have viewed and control them using BBB, Sophon, TOT ADSL and later fiber.  The one time the Panasonic went out a simple physical reset of the power restored viewing.  A reset was only needed once in 7 years but this summer when I return I will install a Wifi enabled wall plug to power cycle if it happens again.  The only time the WYZE went out was due to a WYZE network outage

Bottom line is that Internet here in Thailand is good enough for remote cameras, and most problems are with the cameras, not the Internet   

Edited by Langsuan Man

Does the camera have an RTSP feed?

I have some real cheap Xiaomi cameras, the same as the Wyze Cam as above, I found them unreliable when using the app, but I installed a local server, a raspberry pi loaded with motion eye, and the feed is rock solid. Like you say, the Chinese server was causing the drop outs.

I just use it as a home multi-cam setup, but I am sure you can remote into the system too.

I also use a reolink camera to record to my synology NAS through 'synology surveillance station' app, which can also remote. This is not bad, similar price to your starcam, it does drop off now and again for a little time, but its an indoor camera working in an open car port. I don't expect too much,

Maybe, when you are back in Thailand, look to remove your cameras from the Chinese servers. I also find its helpful to use a smart plug that can reset the cameras.

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Thank you for that. I was thinking of buying more but I won't if the problem is with the camera itself. If yours are going offline often can you please check if they are still in fact working when they are 'offline'. By that I mean are they still making the 15 minute recordings to the memory card?

Any ideas on an alternative?

I do not know what happens when they go off line, when I walk out to see why one has gone off the LED is still on and it still has power, unplug and re boot still nothing, I go away and leave it and it comes back in its own time. The cameras record all the time onto a sim card  but have never checked to see if they are recording whilst off line.

I suspect it could be their firmware, I have had problems setting them up and have spent a lot of time talking to their support, make sure your firmware is up to date, that might help.

I purchased to try as an alternative a  Wistino CCTV Camera1080P Wifi IP Camera Outdoor Two Way Audio PTZ Night Vision IR 30M Wireless for B850 it looks well made, Pan 355 degree/ Tilt 90 degrees. Supports TF Card Max 128 GB, it runs on a different firmware package but not yet installed it so don't know any more than that. 

I also have  a hard wired, hard disk camera system so these not so important but if you want the best:  Netgear Arlo from Amazon

• Thanks 1

I have 5 vstar cams 3 in the UK two here sometimes one go's offline and can be restarted from app sometimes though the power cord has to be removed to bring it back to life and no amount of remote router restarting will work????

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

We don't have enough information from the OP on his camera set up to remote diagnose his problem

What further information should I provide?

The camera is a Vstarcam C24s. The system I use to view it is an application called Eye4 and my house is connected to the internet via 3BB on a 100mb package.

I don't know what else I can provide but I have an identical camera here with me which may have some information with it.

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I also have  a hard wired, hard disk camera system

As you will know - the C24S has a LAN socket. I wonder if connecting via a LAN cable rather than wifi might solve the problem? The camera appears to be working 24/7 - it seems the problem is either the Eye4 application or the camera's connection to it.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

How would I go about that?

I use two ways, 

my indoor cameras run off a raspberry pi running something called motioneye OS - it’s easy to setup, if the camera has a rtsp stream, real time streaming protocol - you can find out from the user guide. I don’t record them, they are just for fun.

Alternatively, I have an outside setup which records to my Synology NAS, that has its own phone app, where I can view and review the recordings if needed. This can use a standard ONVIF feed from your camera. 

I don’t know if it will solve your problem, but I experienced drop outs and thought it was the cameras, but when I moved to a local server the feeds were Rick solid.

Edited by recom273

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

This can use a standard ONVIF feed from your camera. 

Lost me a few lines back ???? Maybe I can find some info online on how to switch to a different server/system.

I am beginning to suspect though, that Eye4 is the problem.  Today I tried to connect to the camera but got a message stating it was offline again.  I immediately tried again with the same result but on the third go it connected.

Edited by KhaoYai

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Lost me a few lines back ???? Maybe I can find some info online on how to switch to a different server/system.

I am beginning to suspect though, that Eye4 is the problem.  Today I tried to connect to the camera but got a message stating it was offline again.  I immediately tried again with the same result but on the third go it connected.

10 seconds on google 

CC210D00-EFAD-464D-9741-38AD859491F4.jpeg

One way to to tell if it is your app, you use enter the rtsp stream into VLC player using the computer, and you will be able to view on screen. 

You will need to be on the local network to be able to do this.

I always find reddit a good place to ask and search - try r/homesecurity - you will find someone who has a camera or uses eye4. 

Edited by recom273

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

You will need to be on the local network to be able to do this.

OK, thank you. Unfortunately its going to take me a while to fix this (if its possible) as I normally visit evey 8 weeks for 2 weeks but my next trip is all travel so no time then. I check it regularly and it seems to work most of the time so its not totally useless.

• Like 1

I have a Vstarcam G43s   at first I thought you have to use the Eye 4 program  and did set it up reluctantly   but kept searching for different viewing methods,  came across this  software form the Vtarcam website that finds the camera

app-find-vstarcam.zip

886546668_vstarcamfinder.jpg.a2ff59742c31e552885131ae3d7ba8a5.jpg

that gave me the web page

http://192.168.1.9:9090    user = admin ( cant change that)  pass = ( your password ) default is 888888

view recordings @   http://192.168.1.9:9090/recordplay.htm

I set the camera to a static IP address 192.168.1.9  and also set my router to always assign  192.168.1.9 to the camera

RTSP  server doesn't work with all viewing software some say its not a real RTSP server

in VLC   open network stream     rtsp://admin:your password [email protected]:10554/udp/av0_0     there is also a sub stream (lower resolution)                  @  rtsp://admin:your password [email protected]:10554/udp/av0_1

1740892835_vstarcamnetwork.jpg.9749f359e545106eb40ef81984610743.jpg

On my android phone 2 apps work well to view the  camera stream one is called tinyCam FREE   and the other Onvifer  which allows  left /right up/down control of the camera...these don't send you a message on  motion detection and viewing outside of your home network require a bit more "jiggery pokery"   setting up a  dynamic DNS address 

I use  http://www.duckdns.org  and then forwarding ports at your router

There is also some hacking vulnerability with these cameras  one allows an attacker to  "crash"  the camera  requiring  removal of power to reset..not sure if mine has been  attacked but it has become unresponsive 2 times requiring power reset.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, johng said:

these don't send you a message on  motion detection

Thank you for the information - those viewers would be no good for me then unfortunately. I installed the camera for security purposes as my house is left empty for 8 weeks at a time.